Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT - Anyone have a pole barn program
Posted by: OttawaCorvairGuy ()
Date: April 30, 2019 05:02PM

Do you have or have you used a pole barn program to design your pole barn or garage?

New building inspector and frost line depth this year - means that I now have to have full drawings before I can even get a building permit.

I'm already on a tight budget and the more I spend on this kind of stuff- means the less I have for materials.

BTW - Here are my engineered Trusses.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: OT - Anyone have a pole barn program
Posted by: Johnnya101 ()
Date: April 30, 2019 05:09PM

You might be able to knock it out in sketchup. Its free. It can also be a pain to use at times, however for something like this it might work. I forget the name of the exact program, but it should download with sketchup or be part of it. Maybe layout?

Date: April 30, 2019 05:23PM

Our building code for frost line depth changed from 4 feet last year to 5 feet this year.

I also have to provide full drawings now.
Before as a land owner and not for residency use - I could of given a rough sketch.

Now paying to get a set of drawings would be equal to paying for:

4 to 5) 6x8 post or

5 to 6) Trusses or

34 to 38) Sheets of Plywood.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2019 05:25PM by OttawaCorvairGuy.

Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: May 01, 2019 08:11AM

Go to your local lumber yard and go to the pro services and tell them what you want and would like to know the cost. Then ask for the printout with the drawings.

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Date: May 01, 2019 08:32AM

Good idea and I'll be heading to the city to pick up my new glasses soon.

vairmech Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Go to your local lumber yard and go to the pro
> services and tell them what you want and would
> like to know the cost. Then ask for the printout
> with the drawings.

Date: May 01, 2019 09:47AM

For those who might be interested in what I found out.

I just got off the phone with Home Depot and they set up appointments to design your deck, garage and they believe they can do a pole barn as well.

Next for me:

I will be making an appointment once I know when my glasses are in, so I can go to the city and do everything in one trip. COOL... hot smiley

BTW - I already have my trusses designed/engineered, by the local truss company and I have those drawings for the building inspector.

Once I have the barn drawings - I can get my permit. hot smiley hot smiley hot smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2019 09:51AM by OttawaCorvairGuy.

Date: May 09, 2019 07:12AM

Went to my appointment at Home Depot last night to design my pole barn.
Things did not go as I had hoped.
He was not able to print out any drawings or even a materials list - due to the fact that the post I wanted to use were not a store item and without a Sku the program would not let him print anything.
He is going to contact the supplier and get the Sku and info needed.
Hopefully he will be able to provide the drawings and material list soon.

But not all was lost.
I walked around and took pictures of the price tags of some of the different items I plan to use.
I also found out that the delivery fee for each load will be $85.

I still wish I had a pole barn program of my own to use.

BTW - My hope is that before winter I get the following done:

1. Drill holes
2. Set post
3. Install some girts (but not all)
4. Install headers
5. Install trusses
6. Sheet the roof
7. Seal the roof until I can buy the standing seam roof material I want to use

I believe I have enough funds to do the above, but I might have to do half of the build now and the other half later..

Once I have the drawings and materials list I can go get my permit.
As long as life, others things don't pop up, get in the way, and delay me once more; I will start my pole barn build this summer. Grin
I have to wait on the weather, for things to dry up so I can start digging the post holes without them caving in.

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: May 09, 2019 07:21AM

Step by Step!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: rowin4 ()
Date: May 09, 2019 07:26AM

Haven't checked but it would seem there would be plans on line for build your own pole buildings, You should also check with the building inspector dept. on how long the permit is good for. Some places only give you a certain amount of time to complete your project and then you have to renew the permit.

Posted by: flamingchariots ()
Date: May 09, 2019 04:04PM

Tony, you will probably have better luck using a real lumberyard instead of Home Depot or other big box stores.

The independent guys want your business, the material quality is way better, and the final price is very competitive.

BTDT.

Kevin
Medina, OH

Date: May 10, 2019 01:36PM

rowin4 Wrote:
> Haven't checked but it would seem there would be plans on line for build your own pole buildings, You should also check with the building inspector dept. on how long the permit is good for. Some places only give you a certain amount of time to complete your project and then you have to renew the permit.

I already checked.

I get a couple of years and after that I have to renew.
However, If I don't let it cancel, I only have to pay a small fee to renew the permit.
If I let it cancel I have to start all over again and pay the full fee.

Date: May 10, 2019 01:42PM

flamingchariots Wrote:
> Tony, you will probably have better luck using a real lumberyard instead of Home Depot or other big box stores.
>
> The independent guys want your business, the material quality is way better, and the final price is very competitive.
>
> BTDT.

Sadly it is not like it is in the USA.
There are not a lot of choices and places are far apart.

This supplier is 270 miles away.
www.transcanadagroup.on.ca/douglas_fir_timbers.php

Posted by: 67 airvair ()
Date: May 11, 2019 07:06AM

This may be irrelevant to your project and plans, but just my two cents worth. Personally, I would never build a pole barn, as any wood put in the ground is all but guaranteed to end up rotting off at the ground eventually. In other words, you're wasting your money if you want the building to last. A cement block or cast concrete foundation is the only way to go. Pole barns are only good for temporary shelters from the weather, IMHO

But it's like anything, you get what you pay for. When it comes to buildings, trailers, and tow vehicles, you can never overbuild it. Just a word of advice, build as good a building as you can afford, and expect it to last as long as what you spent on it will provide.

Best of luck!

-Mark

Date: May 11, 2019 07:28AM

They finished the pole barn drawings and materials list.
I think it is silly, but they had to use 2 programs.
One program allowed them to build the pole barn.
But it did not let them add in windows or door of any kind.
The other program they had to use was a garage program.
That program allowed them to place the entry and garage doors where I wanted them.
Also they had to use 6x6 vs 6x8 to get the SKU so the program would accept it and have no more errors.

However, I will be using a true 6x8 or rough sawn post.
This will provide a great surface to apply the waterproofing to the lower part of my post.
The wall will be 6" deep. The 8" is for extra support and surface area.
I want to lag bolt the headers to the post and the 8" will provide more surface area to mount the headers to.
I also plan to make or cut out a step to rest the inside and outside headers on.

I have not asked the engineer yet.
But I plan to lay a 2X6 across the 2 headers and secure it in place.
This will be my top-plate for the trusses to land on and not just the edge of two 2x10s 3" apart.
IF the engineer allows that, I will be putting my angle braces in between the 2 headers down to the post.
I also plan to use truss brackets on the insdie wall.
IF the engineer does NOT allow my top-plate - I will notch only the outside of the 6x8 post and put the headers together on that side.
The truss engineer said that is enough surface area - but more would be better.

Date: May 11, 2019 07:36AM

67 airvair Wrote:
> This may be irrelevant to your project and plans, but just my two cents worth. Personally, I would never build a pole barn, as any wood put in the ground is all but guaranteed to end up rotting off at the ground eventually. In other words, you're wasting your money if you want the building to last. A cement block or cast concrete foundation is the only way to go. Pole barns are only good for temporary shelters from the weather, IMHO
>
> But it's like anything, you get what you pay for. When it comes to buildings, trailers, and tow vehicles, you can never overbuild it. Just a word of advice, build as good a building as you can afford, and expect it to last as long as what you spent on it will provide.
>
> Best of luck!
>
> -Mark

Mark,

I agree and if I had your money I would do it that way. But I don't.
And every so many years I save up and life gets in the way, where I have to use those funds elsewhere and since 2010 when we got this place, I have yet to be able to build my garage.

Plus there are other factors you are not aware of.
I'm 59 - let's say 60.
A pole barn will last my life time. Grin
We have new frost line rules as of this year - they when from 4feet to 5feet. That adds a lot of extra foundation cost; digging and materials.
We also have new building rules and they now want complete plans - even for a pole barn.
A pole barn cost less and I can build it in stages as the money is available.
I can pour the concrete any time after the barn is up.
And with a pole barn it is easier to get those 16 to 18 foot high walls I want.

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: May 11, 2019 03:18PM

Depends on what you use for wood. Coastal vacation homes here in the east have been built on wooden posts decades, 60s 70s. Mostly north of the frost line. I have not seen any fall into the ocean storm unless a storm under washes them.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

[corvaircenter.com]

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: May 11, 2019 03:39PM

I worked in real lumber yards for many years. Every pole barn I delivered used 5 x 6 treated poles and they notched them for the trusses. The top purlin generally comes through right under. That was several years ago, maybe things have changed.
I would imagine quite a difference in price between 5 x 6 Poles in stock everywhere and special order 6 x 8s.
We get deep frost and large snow loads here.
Pole barns are great unless you're going to finish them off inside, then it's like you have to build a whole extra structure.
I've run into some knowledgeable folks working at Home Depot and some rodeo clowns, it's a bit of a crap shoot. Same with Building Inspectors.
Just my 2 cents worth.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: rowin4 ()
Date: May 11, 2019 06:09PM

Rough sawn post?????? Will they even let you use non ground contact treated timbers in the ground for building? I know you said you were going to coat them with something but have you ever heard of termites?

Date: May 11, 2019 07:41PM

rowin4 Wrote:
> Rough sawn post?????? Will they even let you use non ground contact treated timbers in the ground for building? I know you said you were going to coat them with something but have you ever heard of termites?

I hope they will allow it.
FYI - The coating is the same kind of rubberized coating used on foundations.
I spoke twice with the companies tech about how I wanted to use it.
I will be coating each post with 30m one foot above grade.
At this stage I also plan to use the same coating for the roof, as it has UV protection and is designed for roofs too.

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: May 13, 2019 07:44AM

I would suggest talking to a pole barn supply company where a 36' wide building is everyday stuff rather than Home Depot "special order". They will travel long distances if they can roll the whole package off at one time.

Surface coating barn poles rather than pressure treated sounds like folly to me. Sometimes the industry standard is tried and true.

Especially with a long term do-it-yourself project, one Building Inspector can say one thing and another Building Inspector can come along later and say something else entirely. They can be on a power trip and not care how much trouble it is for you. It's hard to defend an experimental process.

You didn't ask but I'd say if you're going to do it, get the whole thing delivered, get it up and signed off on post haste. Fooling around here and there does not work well sometimes with the powers that be. They probably want to sign off on framing the whole thing before steel starts going on.

Maybe the extra foot in the ground will work out to 15' sidewalls with 20' poles. Depends on the steel company. 22' poles might not be a stock item.

I don't follow what you're saying above regarding headers and top plates. It sounds more like "wood frame" than "pole barn" references. I would just put up a pole barn like everyone else is doing it. You start buying double 2 x 10s just to do it a special way, the price will go up where it doesn't need to. It seems like you're adverse to notching 5 x 6 barn poles for trusses and all this other way of doing it has sprung from that.

But I digress. A pole barn supply company would have a pole barn program.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.