Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Replace bellows thermostat with a water-type
Posted by: Peeeot ()
Date: May 09, 2019 09:00PM

Today was my first test drive with the water thermostats installed. As far as I can tell, they are working perfectly; however, I have no experience with the stock units. I should also note that my car doesn’t currently have the rearmost engine compartment seal installed.

What I observed is that idling in the driveway with the hood open took a long time for the thermostat doors to open more than a little bit. If I closed the hood and went for a little drive around the block, when I got back in the driveway and looked I found the doors fully open. If I turn the engine off, the doors start to close pretty soon. With the doors mostly shut and heat recirculating in the compartment, hood open, the air felt hot but not burning hot. Might be worth sticking a thermometer in the heated air to see exactly how hot it’s getting, but I would guess around 200 degrees.

Anyway, I will continue to use them and observe. One thing that seems clear: the engine will run considerably cooler and warm up considerably slower without them under most circumstances.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Peeeot ()
Date: May 15, 2019 07:15PM

So, can anyone fill me in on what is normal behavior for a correctly functioning stock thermostat? I’d like to know:

How long does it take them to open in cold, moderate, and hot weather?
Do they always open all the way?
If the weather is cool or cold, might they stay closed at idle?
How soon after shutdown do they close?

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: May 15, 2019 07:29PM

Drivers side always opens first... and will open below highway speeds...

Passenger side only opens at highway speeds and normally closes before you can get out and look.

Normally the Bellows starts moving around 200f and is fully open at 225f

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: Johnnya101 ()
Date: May 16, 2019 10:41AM

I only have my new drivers thermostat installed right now and it will be halfway open after about five minutes of light driving in 55 degree weather, and after ten minutes it is fully open.

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: May 16, 2019 12:16PM

Sounds normal Johnny...

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: May 16, 2019 10:55PM

Agree with Matt's observations.

After a couple NEW thermostats failed I bought good used ones - affordable and work fine. When the used ones are not available I'll consider a mod, but for now it's the easiest fix for me.

I've had "water pumper" thermostats fail and they always fail CLOSED causing an overheat, not good.

Corvair thermostats always fail OPEN, much safer since air cooled engines don't tolerate overheating.

Just me.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.