Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
65 180 Turbo no start problem
Posted by: vegavairbob ()
Date: April 21, 2019 02:49AM

My car has a new fuel pump installed correctly a rebuilt Carter carb and probably a stock coil. The car runs great for a few miles, or 15 minutes. then stalls and wont restart until the next day. What is wrong with it? been towed three times since i bought a month ago.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 65 180 Turbo no start problem
Posted by: Grandpacorvair ()
Date: April 21, 2019 05:12AM

So, have you checked the usual culprits?

1- is the carb getting fuel. (check by spraying some stater fluid into the carb. Does the car start and run briefly? If it does you may have a fuel line issue such as collapsed rubber hose, pinched line or a plugged fuel filer sock in the gas tank.

2- Does the car have spark? If not, you may have a coil that fails when it gets hot or possibly the capacitor (condensor) inside the distributor may fail when it gets hot.

The engine needs three things to run, fuel,spark and air. Some detective work is needed to figure out what yours is missing.

Kerry Borgne
Birmingham, Michigan

1963 Spyder Convertible

Posted by: rodnokn6 ()
Date: April 21, 2019 10:57AM

vegavairbob Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My car has a new fuel pump installed correctly a
> rebuilt Carter carb and probably a stock coil. The
> car runs great for a few miles, or 15 minutes.
> then stalls and wont restart until the next day.
> What is wrong with it? been towed three times
> since i bought a month ago.

As grandpa Corvair said , you need to do some very basic troubleshooting. When it dies and fails to start you could check to see that you a getting a good healthy squirt from your carburetor . And if you are then check for spark. It coiuld be ignition related or fuel ,possibly both but I doubt it. My dad had a '72 Caprice Classic with a small block 400 . It would had the same symptoms as your vair. It turnrd out to be a semi clogged sock Filter at the fuel pick up tube . It was very frustrating . We cut off that filter and problem solved ! Stick with it you will get it

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: April 21, 2019 06:38PM

OR . . . is it getting TOO MUCH fuel?
I am no Turbo expert in the slightest, but what I have learned on CCF is that the turbo carbs are extremely sensitive to fuel pressure.
You state that you have a NEW fuel pump.
It may be installed correctly, but that does not rule it out as being the culprit!
There has been a LOT of discussion lately about replacement fuel pumps putting out WAY too much pressure!
Is it possible that your engine is being flooded out?

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
'66 Monza Coupe - 4spd, 140 Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - PG, 140 Daily driver beater
'67 A/C Moredoor Monza - 140 4-spd. driver

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: April 21, 2019 07:16PM

Right, when it quits, is fuel running out of the bottom of the YH carb? Thoos could be too much pressure, causes flooding.

When it stops and won't start, when you pump the accelerator, does fuel leak out of the YH carb? If no, might mean fuel starvation. Take off end of air cleaner and look in to see if any fuel is present.

When it quits, have you had someone operate the starter while you hold the coil wire near the shroud to check for spark?

Running points or Pertronics?

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.