Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT 95 G30 Van A/C
Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: April 15, 2019 02:42PM

New evaporator, condenser, drier, compressor and orifice tube. PAG46 oil per compressor spec.
High side pressure doesn't move much at all and does not get over 120psi. High pressure tap is next to orifice. Low side moves up and down with compressor pretty much normally. Gets cold but when the engine is hot clutch slips. It seems to act like there is a clog in the high side somewhere. Doesn't really seem possible but the pressures seemed really strange charging it before actually running. It acted like the high and low side were almost completely sealed off from each other.

Joel
Northlake, TX
4 Ultravans, Lost count at 100 Corvairs...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: OT 95 G30 Van A/C
Posted by: thumper477 ()
Date: April 15, 2019 07:19PM

Thermostatic fan clutch on water pump worn out.Not enough air flow over condenser.

Date: April 15, 2019 07:23PM

That would cause the high side pressure to be high and it isn't or at least not where the port is.

Joel
Northlake, TX

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: April 15, 2019 07:28PM

Doesn't it have to be a plugged orifice? Seems that was common 50 years ago..

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: April 15, 2019 07:33PM

That would make the high side read way high. I'm thinking it's plugged somewhere else on the high side before the high side service port so the high doesn't show high. ???

Joel
Northlake, TX

Date: April 15, 2019 07:43PM

Check the parts listings...wonder if there's a filter inside the line...

..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: April 15, 2019 07:49PM

Orifice tube has filter on that..

Date: April 15, 2019 08:22PM

I guess I'm just going to have to take it all apart and see which section is plugged.

Joel
Northlake, TX

Date: April 16, 2019 04:59AM

I just got (for free) a 1991 G2500 with a 350. I will be addressing similar issues soon Im sure. Right now I am rigging together sheet metal for the rockers. Its a real gem.

Where did you get the a/c compressor from? I've seen defect compressor clutches do that.

1961 Corvair 700 Sedan - 3sp - Gasoline Heat - Lowered a bit - Rust in Progress
I live my life 19.5 seconds at a time.

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: April 16, 2019 06:49AM

I had a similar problem, after taking the whole thing apart, cleaning and recharging, same thing. It turned out to be the slipping clutch. I sprayed some brake cleaner in it when it was running and forced on off cycling it got much better. then a new clutch fixed it.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Date: April 16, 2019 10:58AM

The clutch very well could be weak. The thing that gets me is the high side pressure staying so steady. It usually goes up and down as the compressor cycles.
It's this 10 cylinder compressor [www.rockauto.com]

Joel
Northlake, TX

Posted by: alphasud ()
Date: April 16, 2019 01:59PM

If your high side is low and you think you have a restriction one thing you can do if you have access to a non contact thermometer gun is to run it along the high side path. It would be before the high side port. There will be a temp drop at the restriction. What is the ambient temp? Modern systems will only see 120 on a cool day. Check voltage to the A/C clutch when it’s running. Should be at least battery voltage. Also make sure your fitting is seated correctly at the port. Assuming it’s a R134a service fitting. If it’s a retrofit fitting that screws onto the old 1/4” port they are crap. They don’t depress the schrader enough. Is the suction or low side cold?

Date: April 16, 2019 02:42PM

I do need to check the clutch voltage. It is a native 134 system. No adapters. Past the orifice makes frost on the line.
Temp was 79
My Blue Point IR thermometer isn't accurate on a line that small for some reason. The line with frost on it read 60-70 degrees obviously wrong. Maybe the frost confuses it? Line going into compressor is cooler than the exit and it is pretty hot going into the condenser ~180. My Craftsman IR thermometer went completely nuts and reads 150+ all the time.
I guess the main thing confusing me is the steady low high side pressure. I'm expecting it to go up and down as the compressor cycles.

Joel
Northlake, TX

Posted by: alphasud ()
Date: April 16, 2019 06:24PM

Joel,
It does sound weird where is the high side service port relative to the compressor condenser? Might be easiest to remove the R134 and blow through the system to feel for restrictions. Have had peanuts from shipping get stuck even manufacturing debris. What are your low side pressures? You can pm me and I will give you my cell if you want to discuss further

Date: April 16, 2019 07:38PM

The high side port is right next to the orifice. I think I will need to open the high side and blow through it like you said. I'll blow through it backwards and see if something pops out or if it seems restricted. No peanuts in the condenser packaging but who knows what happened to it along the way to me.

Joel
Northlake, TX

Posted by: Brizo ()
Date: April 16, 2019 08:57PM

Frost on the pipe past the orifice isn't right! it must be clogged, damaged, or restricted somehow at that point, and the small amount spraying through makes it cold enough to frost. The high side wont be very high if the compressor cant get enough to pump.

Dan Brizendine,
'64 8door Greenbrier 140 PG. "In beautiful Wanamaker Indiana...with one stop light and 5 pizza shops"

Date: April 16, 2019 09:27PM

Good thought but wouldn't the frost be because the high side pressure is so low?
If the high side pressure was high and I had frost that would indicate the orifice was clogged.

Joel
Northlake, TX

Posted by: Brizo ()
Date: April 17, 2019 11:19AM

My thought was, the pressure may be low because the R134 is not moving. Either because its restricted somewhere or the compressor isnt working. If the R134 cant get to the copmpressor, it cant be pumped out. I may have missed an important fact in your posts but, just trying to help you think

Dan Brizendine,
'64 8door Greenbrier 140 PG. "In beautiful Wanamaker Indiana...with one stop light and 5 pizza shops"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2019 11:20AM by Brizo.

Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: April 17, 2019 12:28PM

In my experience, a restricted high-side would lead to very low or negative pressure on the low side. Was the replacement orifice tube the same color as the one removed? They're color coded for flow-rate.

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
60 Monza coupe (sold, sniff sniff)
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later
2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Date: April 17, 2019 05:43PM

The compressor is working. The low side will pull down enough to turn it off. I was feeding it freon so it had plenty. I didn't weigh the charge. I usually just get the pressure right for the temperature. Shame on me.
Yes the orifice was the same color but I've never seen one that wasn't white. It came with the compressor in a kit. Not that that means it is the correct one.
I was hoping to work on it in the morning but now I have a job top go to first.
Thanks for the ideas and thoughts!

Joel
Northlake, TX

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.