Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Generator condenser .
Posted by: EM-racer ()
Date: April 15, 2019 07:22AM

Is the generator condenser the same as the distributor condenser ???
Gene Barr
Eustis Fl.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Generator condenser .
Posted by: junkman ()
Date: April 15, 2019 07:31AM

NO.. the part number is stamped on the end of the capacitor #1911095 (.3 MF)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodstock CT... Located on the Connecticut / Massachusetts border, approximately 6 miles from the center of Southbridge MA. About 45 minutes from Hartford CT. 1 1/2 hours West of Boston MA. Woodstock CT to Los Angeles CA 2,937.1 miles. 1 Mile as the crow flies to Big Bird's nest.

Date: April 15, 2019 08:29AM

While doing a part number search today, I came across this article. If you have a condenser that has a broken wire, I found this web article for repairing a broken wire on them. The procedure should work for any condenser that isn't critical, such as the one in the distributor.

[www.tpocr.com]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodstock CT... Located on the Connecticut / Massachusetts border, approximately 6 miles from the center of Southbridge MA. About 45 minutes from Hartford CT. 1 1/2 hours West of Boston MA. Woodstock CT to Los Angeles CA 2,937.1 miles. 1 Mile as the crow flies to Big Bird's nest.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2019 08:34AM by junkman.

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: April 15, 2019 07:11PM

Is the generator condenser the same as the one found on the ignition coil?

I guess I will have to check part numbers someday.

If I went to the trouble of opening the condenser, I would just put a new one inside!thumbs up

Even if the microfarads read a resonable number, you know the paper insulation has absorbed moisture and is "leaky". Leaky is when a capacitor conducts DC current. i.e. a measurable resistance, say 500 kohms, not infinity (which would be a perfect capacitor). 0.27 or 0.33 would be fine as a replacement.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Date: April 15, 2019 07:20PM

According to the 1964 Accessory assembly manual, the ignition coil uses part number 1947452 (.3MF) (possibly because of longer wire), and the Voltage regulator 1949307 (.5MF).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.