Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
How to check a gas tank
Posted by: cochranrg ()
Date: April 14, 2019 03:41PM

Doing the work on my 66 Corsa Convertible and got the engine ready to run. However, I am scared there may be crap and rust in the gas tank but I don't know how to check or flush it. Any ideas? It's empty now.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How to check a gas tank
Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: April 14, 2019 03:54PM

Take the sender out and look inside. Use a borescope to get to areas you can't see, Strong LED light works best. Wipe a rag dampened with mineral spirits across bottom to see if you gather trash from the bottom. If you do, might be time to do a thorough cleaning.

Al Lane
Ellabell, GA 31308

1966 Monza Coupe, 110 hp, 4 Spd
1966 Monza More Door 110 hp, PG
1968 Camaro SS Coupe 350 CI 295+ hp PG
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe, 6 dr, 80 hp car engine, PG
1947 Farmall A tractor 15 hp

Posted by: Caraholic4life ()
Date: April 14, 2019 03:58PM

IF the tank is original to the car, I would suggest investing in a new gas tank, pick up, and sender.
I would also suggest at the minimum, flushing the fuel line that goes from the tank to the back of the car along with the rest of the fuel lines.
This could potentially save you the grief and aggravation of repeated clogging issues in your fuel lines and carburetors, but this is simply my opinion.

I am aware there are products available that can be used to coat gas tanks when replacements are unavailable, but fortunately for us, replacement tanks for our cars are currently available. My opinion is that replacement will save headaches that might otherwise result by trying to save a dollar or two initially.

1962 95 F.C. Van
1965 Monza Coupe
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Posted by: Johnnya101 ()
Date: April 14, 2019 05:13PM

Just get a new tank. You would have to remove the old one anyways to clean it out (This is assuming it is dirty, and if its original, it probably will be). New tank, sender, filter, lock ring, etc, will save you time and headaches in the future. Its well worth it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.