Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
1963 102 spark plug gap confusion
Posted by: Peeeot ()
Date: April 14, 2019 06:48AM

Hello,

I searched “plug gap” and browsed all 11 pages before posting. It seems most folks recommend 0.030” plug gap for the higher-performance naturally aspirated engines with stock ignition and 0.035” for the low-performance engines. There is a non-GM chart that supports these gaps. However, in the specifications section of the 62-63 manual, it identifies the gap for all engines as 0.025-0.028”, but then in the tune-up section of the 62-63 manual it specifies 0.035” for all engines. The 62-63 electrical section refers back to the 61 manual, which specifies 0.035” for all engines.

So, there is an unofficial recommendation of 0.030” and conflicting official recommendations of 0.025-0.028” or 0.035”.

Which is correct?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 1963 102 spark plug gap confusion
Posted by: junkman ()
Date: April 14, 2019 08:06AM

Are you certain that you are not confusing the distributor dwell specification with the spark plug gap specification?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodstock CT... Located on the Connecticut / Massachusetts border, approximately 6 miles from the center of Southbridge MA. About 45 minutes from Hartford CT. 1 1/2 hours West of Boston MA. Woodstock CT to Los Angeles CA 2,937.1 miles. 1 Mile as the crow flies to Big Bird's nest.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2019 08:07AM by junkman.

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: April 14, 2019 08:09AM

The one that works for you!

Just like our Head Torques... 50 years later.... recommendations have changed!

I'd go with 0.030" and see how long the plugs last.... most likely years and 20k miles..

No lead in Gasolene today...

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: Peeeot ()
Date: April 16, 2019 06:02AM

Yes, I am certain I am looking at a plug gap spec and not dwell angle in the manual.

I will go with the prevailing wisdom and set them at 0.030”. Thank you!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.