Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Broken Transmission Housing
Posted by: doug6423 ()
Date: April 13, 2019 06:28PM

Not sure if this has happened to anyone but thought I'd share my story.

Being new to Corvairs I took my trans/diff up to a more experienced owner to get help resealing/replace gaskets. It seemed like a simple task, but I wanted help in case there might be something I'm not familiar with. So I took it up to a long time Corvair owner that has vans, pickups, cars, and even a Corvair boat.

We did most of the seals with no problem. Pretty simple. We just had the gasket between the two left. I took the four bolts loose and it just wouldn't separate. Used a brass hammer to hit on the bolt heads only. Still nothing. At this point I though about just leaving it but had the feeling that's where it would leak from once installed so we persisted. Finally resorted to a chisel to try and wedge them apart. Not on the ear that broke, but in the center. And as it separated, the ear broke and stayed hanging to the differential.

Someone apparently used a type of glue or something. Spencer thought it was Loctite. Someone else said Indian Glue, which I've never heard of, but they said it was used for gaskets back in the day.

Going with the back up transmission out of the parts car. Keeping my fingers crossed that will at least get me through the summer.

Doug
65 Monza
Cincy, OH

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Broken Transmission Housing
Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: April 13, 2019 06:52PM

When I picked up Vairy V8 in 1998 it had a cracked in half Saginaw four speed transmission.

Of course there was one small detail...it had a 671 blown 392 Mopar hemi engine bolted to it.

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: April 13, 2019 07:48PM

WOW Doug!!!!

Never seen that before. And the break looks clean, like it just happened. Is there evidence that a crack was already starting there?

Indian Head Gasket Shellac. Never seen it hold onto parts that well. Used to use it on cork valve cover gaskets on inline 6's. Hard to scrape off, but never broke anything....

[www.permatex.com]

Were all four bolts out of the holes when you started with the prybar?

I did once break an ear on a transmission to transfer case when I didn't notice the parts were not fitting together right, and I tried pulling them together by tightening the bolts. Many mechanics have stories of doing this with transmissions to bellhousings , once.....winking smiley

Makes me wonder if this was a crack that was started the last time it was assembled.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2019 07:50PM by Frank DuVal.

Posted by: Vairismo ()
Date: April 13, 2019 10:13PM

You may want to check (if it is still apart) the pinion shaft wear on the differential on that one. Sometimes the splines will get worn with an 'L'
type pattern and make it extremely difficult to separate the two pieces. I had one like this once and made the necessary brass drift to use a BFH to get them apart.
Maybe yours was not this, but would be good to know for sure IMO.

Date: April 14, 2019 09:16AM

I appreciate any feedback or suggestion. The parts car transmission separated pretty easily.

Anyone know if this metal can be welded back together??

Posted by: RexJohnson ()
Date: April 14, 2019 09:53AM

Almost anything can be welded, but there are plenty of good cases out there so why bother.

RJ tools
Salem,Oregon

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: April 14, 2019 09:55AM

1. Cast iron can be welded. Electric motor shops routinely weld broken feet back onto large horsepower cast iron frames.

2.Trying to keep everything in alignment without warping and porosity issues make welding the second choice. i.e. if there are no other transmissions.....

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: April 14, 2019 03:09PM

The glue reference is probably Indian Head gasket shellac. It will make anything stick together and if you do get the gasket to separate, the stuff is almost permanently bonded to the parent material and you have to chisel it off.

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Date: April 14, 2019 06:17PM

Thanks for all the reply's. Plan is to use the parts car trans. The shifter moves and works. Either way I had planned on going to Ken's one day, so maybe it will be sooner. I usually go to Canada for Christmas Eve, so maybe I'll have to detour to Ken's for an exchange. smileys with beer We've already been emailing back and forth.
Thanks again!

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: April 14, 2019 06:52PM

I didn't see any mention of what year either your car or the parts car is. In case you weren't aware the EM transmission style had different gear ratios and the input shafts varied depending on the year. '64-'65 used a larger input shaft with 14 splines and the earlier was 12 splines. Different input shaft seals in the differential for the 2 shaft sizes.

Joel
Northlake, TX
4 Ultravans, Lost count at 100 Corvairs...

Date: April 14, 2019 07:02PM

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: April 14, 2019 07:19PM

If the parts car is '64 or '65 it should be the same.

Joel
Northlake, TX
4 Ultravans, Lost count at 100 Corvairs...

Posted by: Early Guy ()
Date: April 15, 2019 07:33PM

Doug Where are you located I should have a decent empty 64/65 case if your interested. I'm in Chicago area.

Ray Johnson Villa Park IL 63 Spyder Conv. 140 EFI

Date: April 15, 2019 07:44PM

Thanks Ray, I appreciate it. I'm in Cincinnati. I was just in Chicago in February, the wind was a killer!

I have a back up I'm going to use and if doesn't work out I'm going to get a rebuilt one from Ken, which I had plan to do anyway this winter. Ken & I have been emailing back and forth about it.

Thanks again!

Posted by: mguider ()
Date: April 16, 2019 09:53AM

doug6423 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks Ray, I appreciate it. I'm in Cincinnati.
> I was just in Chicago in February, the wind was a
> killer!
>
> I have a back up I'm going to use and if doesn't
> work out I'm going to get a rebuilt one from Ken,
> which I had plan to do anyway this winter. Ken &
> I have been emailing back and forth about it.
>
> Thanks again!

I'm surprised Spencer doesn't have one laying around. He is a Great Man thumbs upthumbs up

Mark
Choo Choo Corvair

Date: April 16, 2019 06:40PM

AGREED!! Spencer is a Great Man and why I went up there in the first place. He's an hour drive from where I live, but well worth it just to hang out with him. And yes, he's got them from show quality to laying around but I'm not taking anything. It was an accident and I got my own back up. Going up this Saturday with the backup to finish the job. smileys with beer

Posted by: The Stig ()
Date: April 16, 2019 06:44PM

I have two empty cases sitting here ready for a scrap bin. If needed....

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.