Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
OT? - $77K for a Rampy? eye popping smiley Am I that old?
Posted by: 67 airvair ()
Date: April 13, 2019 04:31AM

This may be old news for some on the net, but I finally got around to perusing the May issue of Hemmings. So what did I find but the report on the Barrett-Jackson auction, where a '62 Rampy went for $77K! And it wasn't even considered to be in grade 1 condition!!eye popping smiley And a '64 Spyder drop-top in grade 3 condition, no less, went for $18,150! I'm shocked, to say the least.

I never thought I'd live to see the day when I couldn't afford a Corvair. Either I've lived too long and should be looking up at the wrong side of the daisies, or my finances are in serious trouble. Ok, so this getting old routine is anything but the golden years, but I still want to have enough time on this third rock from a middle-aged star in order to finish my project car.

Granted, I've had to hock every door knob in the place, sell off every asset worth anything, and even borrow, beg, or do everything but sell my body openly on the street in order to get to the point where it's pretty much paid for, yet it's STILL not out of the body shop after three (count 'em, 3!) years, 3 months, and counting days, and it's STILL in battleship gray.

It's reached the point where it'll be a miracle if I can manage to get it together in time for this year's convention, let alone ANYthing this year (and that includes the Ypsi Orphan Show in September). And I really wanted to show it in CORSA concours on its first outing, just to see what it would do. And there's no way I'd be able to manage driving it to next year's convention in San Diego.sad smiley At this point, I'm just hoping I live long enough and am still in good enough shape when it does get home such that I am still physically able to get it together.

Alas, it's no fun getting old.....sad smiley IT TRULY SUCKS. Only thing I can say is that beats the alternative.

-Mark

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: OT? - $77K for a Rampy? eye popping smiley Am I that old?
Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: April 13, 2019 04:58AM

I believe big money for Corvairs is a passing fad in the auction world.

I have no figures to back that up...it's what my gut (usually right) says.

Posted by: dryenko ()
Date: April 13, 2019 05:09AM

Sorry Phil, while they may never reach $220K again [ for awhile ] for a special car like a true Yenko Stinger , the speculators have glomed onto the fact that less than 200 of Tag and Yenko built cars exist.
The Mecum auction in Indy in May has both types and will further cement the trend.
Or not.
This all has a halo effect on other nice , as popular model Corvairs like Spyders and Turbos.
The wise money should also be looking at Fitch Sprints.
Ya think ?

Bob C aka Dryenko
Dobson, NC 27017

Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: April 13, 2019 05:19AM

I could point out the decline in muscle car prices as an example.

Mopar's especially were over priced for a while...now not so much.

Yes the perfect all original cars are still bringing good money.

And yes correct Yenko Stingers will always go up in value.

The Grade 3 Mark speaks of will settle back down to earth.

For most Corvair Nuts that Grade 3 is what we all want.

Posted by: vairchet ()
Date: April 13, 2019 10:57AM

Here's the link: [www.americancarcollector.com]

Chet in Ramona

Attachments:
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: April 13, 2019 10:58AM

Pretty nice vehicle!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: Richard ()
Date: April 13, 2019 02:16PM

I saved these pictures from the Ebay listing in 2007. Some guys at that time said they knew the owner of the rampside and the station wagon.
It looked extra nice and original in 2007. The BJ photos are clearly Photoshop images.

Attachments:

Posted by: Richard ()
Date: April 13, 2019 02:19PM

In '07 it sold for some where around 16-17. Some four owners later it sold for just under 20, but I'm not sure.

Attachments:

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.