Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
EM Turbo Return Tee at Gas Tank Question
Posted by: junkman ()
Date: April 12, 2019 12:58PM

I have been replacing these for a number of years, since mine seem to barely make it to a year before they start leaking again. Is there any easy way to replace this part. I am getting too old to do this on the ground for many more years, but in the past, found that this was the best method. I am looking for suggestions to make it easier. I have a new one coming from Clarks, and hope that this one will last more than a year. Gasoline keeps changing, and I think that is what is eating up the rubber on these tees. I know that Clarks has had the formula for the rubber changed to better suited products for these gasoline changes.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodstock CT... Located on the Connecticut / Massachusetts border, approximately 6 miles from the center of Southbridge MA. About 45 minutes from Hartford CT. 1 1/2 hours West of Boston MA. Woodstock CT to Los Angeles CA 2,937.1 miles. 1 Mile as the crow flies to Big Bird's nest.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: EM Turbo Return Tee at Gas Tank Question
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: April 12, 2019 12:59PM

Calif.Corvair!! Metal!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: April 12, 2019 01:21PM

If you have to be up in there anyway, pull the filler neck out and solder a nipple on it to fit the return hose, then use a standard vent hose from filler to tank.

This is how GM did it for the smog cars with a return line.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: April 12, 2019 02:25PM

Might you have a picture of this. I can't picture it in my mind. Must be my old age... smiling smiley ... or even better, might someone have a smog filler tube for sale, assuming that the tube is the same for all years, except possibly 1960?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodstock CT... Located on the Connecticut / Massachusetts border, approximately 6 miles from the center of Southbridge MA. About 45 minutes from Hartford CT. 1 1/2 hours West of Boston MA. Woodstock CT to Los Angeles CA 2,937.1 miles. 1 Mile as the crow flies to Big Bird's nest.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2019 02:28PM by junkman.

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: April 12, 2019 04:52PM

I'm switching to the California Corvairs metal one, a little spendy but the rubber one that doesn't last isn't cheap either.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: April 12, 2019 05:23PM

There is no need for any Tee! Replace that with the std rubber connection and while you have the filler neck out drill a 3/16" hole in the top of the filler pipe and then bend a piece of brake line 90 degrees. Then solder the small line in the filler neck and connect the return line to that. No Tee ever needed again!

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Date: April 12, 2019 07:54PM

Thank you Ken, that is what I was saying.

When I bought my 64 Spyder in 1976, this modification was already done. Later, when I started ordering from Clarks, I bought a rubber T, since it was a turbo part. Couldn't figure out where it went!grinning smiley

I do know the early and lates have different filler necks, as the gas caps are different size. 1960 is different that either of those.....

I can not find a picture on the internet of a filler with the 3/16" tube on it.
Doesn't really matter where it is as long as you can get the hose on it, tighten the clamp, and the nipple does not hit an obstruction. OK, maybe it does matter!winking smiley

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: April 12, 2019 08:18PM

Someone recently posted a picture of a really cool fitting that just goes right into the side/bottom/top of the tank.
Where ever you want a return, just pop it in there.
It seemed pretty slick.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
'66 Monza Coupe - 4spd, 140 Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - PG, 140 Daily driver beater
'67 A/C Moredoor Monza - 140 4-spd. driver
non-vair
'04 Dodge Cummins Quad Dualy, approaching 400K
17'Terry

Date: April 12, 2019 08:35PM

For those with Mechanical pumps ONLY.... TEE into the line at the left rear wheel... no pressure there to speak of.

..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: April 12, 2019 09:11PM

Here it is!
Put your return anywhere you want, and no more worries about a leaing "Tee" !

> > > CPP Universal Fuel Tank Return Line Fitting Install Kit < < <

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
'66 Monza Coupe - 4spd, 140 Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - PG, 140 Daily driver beater
'67 A/C Moredoor Monza - 140 4-spd. driver
non-vair
'04 Dodge Cummins Quad Dualy, approaching 400K
17'Terry

Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: April 13, 2019 03:51AM

IF you put anything into the tank it's self you are asking for trouble. Any time you take the tank out you have to remove the connection. With the link for the bolt, again you are relying on a piece of rubber for a seal.

With the return in the filler neck, ON TOP, you have a 99% of no leakage unless you fill to the top of the filler neck pipe. Do not rely on JB weld or any other sealant, it has to be soldered and it's best to use acid core solder. This only costs pennies as opposed to dollars for anything else.

KISS!

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Date: April 13, 2019 09:37AM

That fitting shown is a 9/16" AN fitting! It is going to take some reducers to get that down to 3/16" rubber hose.

Short piece of 3/16" steel brake line and some solder is waaaayyyy cheaper.

And, returning to the bottom of the tank (only place you could install that without dropping the tank) will stir up the sediment in the bottom of the tank all the time the engine is running. Yes, I know, there should be no sediment....grinning smiley

You do not have to buy acid core solder if you have rosin core on hand, just use the paste flux, you probably have a small can from years past.... Nokorode was a good brand, for doing plumbing. This would be acid based flux. Not stuff for electronics.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Date: April 13, 2019 10:36AM

That is just a NutSert with a washer and the clear ID drilled. Use a smaller one and you can use a smaller fitting...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.