Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Tinted glass?
Posted by: MrNapaCorvair ()
Date: April 12, 2019 03:21AM

How can you tell if a Corvair has tinted glass? Are there markings on the windshield or is there something in the Vin number?

1969-01 dukes of hazard corvair
1969 frost green restoration project

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tinted glass?
Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: April 12, 2019 03:41AM

For one the glass will not be clear it will have a green tint to it and in the corners it will say Soft Ray and the windshield if it is shaded will have a darker band across the top and could say tinted/shaded in the corner.

If the car was originally equipped then in the Accy code it will be noted. You can look it up.

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Date: April 12, 2019 04:16AM

Ok thank you. The car I’m looking at is in the shade so it’s hard to see the tint.

Date: April 12, 2019 05:07AM

Put a piece of white paper behind the glass. You'll see the faint green tint easily.
Fisher body ID Plate has an E in the first position for "all tinted glass"

This is a 1965 Corsa Turbo Coupe built in Los Angeles and sold in the area when new.
It's quite rare for most Corvairs. More common for ones sold originally in the southern states.

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza 'Vert (SOLD) ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Posted by: v8vair ()
Date: April 12, 2019 05:39AM

I put a piece of white printer paper behind the glass. Pretty simple. Mike

Date: April 12, 2019 05:49AM

Thank you for the ideas gentlemen

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: April 12, 2019 11:53AM

Early cars 1960-1963 (or might have been 1964) used EZEYE for the tint logo, and after that GM switched to Soft Ray on the logo. It is a very convoluted story about EZEYE and Soft Ray, but all replacements for the Soft Ray that was installed at the factory if replaced afterwards, it was replaced with EZEYE. Both glass were manufactured by LOF (Libby Owens Ford). In short, the change was brought about as a trademark dispute between GM and LOF, as to who owned the EZEYE trademark. It was settled by Soft Ray being OEM, and EZEYE being the replacement logo.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodstock CT... Located on the Connecticut / Massachusetts border, approximately 6 miles from the center of Southbridge MA. About 45 minutes from Hartford CT. 1 1/2 hours West of Boston MA. Woodstock CT to Los Angeles CA 2,937.1 miles. 1 Mile as the crow flies to Big Bird's nest.

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: April 12, 2019 11:53AM

Some glass also says EZ EYE (I think).

Posted by: gnvair ()
Date: April 14, 2019 12:15AM

Late model tinted glass has Soft Ray etched in to it

Lee J

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: April 14, 2019 08:13AM

gnvair Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Late model tinted glass has Soft Ray etched in to
> it

Late model factory glass has Soft Ray etched into it.

Late model replacement glass has EZ EYE etched into it.

Same glass, same factory manufacturing it, different Logo for different market.

Soft Ray is a trademark of General Motors Corporation

EZ EYE is a trademark of Libby Owens Ford

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodstock CT... Located on the Connecticut / Massachusetts border, approximately 6 miles from the center of Southbridge MA. About 45 minutes from Hartford CT. 1 1/2 hours West of Boston MA. Woodstock CT to Los Angeles CA 2,937.1 miles. 1 Mile as the crow flies to Big Bird's nest.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2019 08:15AM by junkman.

Posted by: playerpage ()
Date: April 14, 2019 08:43AM

My car body tag has the "E" indicator for all tinted glass, but it must have faded or the glass has been replaced or whatever because there doesn't seem to be any green tint.

The windshield is separating around the outer edges of the glass (you can see it if you click on the photos in my signature and zoom in), so I am in the process of replacing it with an after-market windshield, and then I will have the rest of the windows professionally tinted in the modern style. Then my tag will be telling the truth again!

Eric C. Player, Porterville, CA
Member: CORSA National, Central Coast CORSA, South Coast CORSA, and San Joaquin Valley Corvair Club
THEN: 1965 Monza 110 Canary Yellow
1967 Monza 140 Red
1966 500 110, Black
1965 Monza 110, Camaro Yellow
NOW: 1966 Corsa 180 Turbo, Blue.

"He cautioned me not to take notes. It would not have helped if I had, as he would start a paragraph with, 'It is therefore obvious. . .' and go on from there to matters which may have been obvious to him and God but to no one else." -- Daniel B. Davis

------

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2019 08:45AM by playerpage.

Posted by: gnvair ()
Date: April 15, 2019 04:51AM

junkman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> gnvair Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Late model tinted glass has Soft Ray etched in
> to
> > it
>
>
> Late model factory glass has Soft Ray etched into
> it.
>
> Late model replacement glass has EZ EYE etched
> into it.
>
> Same glass, same factory manufacturing it,
> different Logo for different market.
>
> Soft Ray is a trademark of General Motors
> Corporation
>
> EZ EYE is a trademark of Libby Owens Ford

I made the comment of the Soft Ray etching as 99% of the Corvair people out there looking for tinted glass want to OEM "Soft Ray" glass. This holds especially true if they are building a concourse car. I have come across the EZ Eye glass and usually pass it over.

Lee J

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2019 04:55AM by gnvair.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.