Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
STU SHUSTER
Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: April 11, 2019 08:23PM

I was sad to see in the new Communique we lost old time Corsa member Stu Shuster. I met him the first time at the
convention in Detroit and saw him subsequently every time I went to the GM Heritage Center where he was volunteering
his time during the Homecoming. I am sure he worked those times to make sure the Corvair Club saw a good presentation
by the General. For those that did not know Stu worked for GM during the Corvair years and he owned one of the most
famous 1969 Monza Convertibles ever made and he kept it in pristine condition I am sure to the end. He was a very
friendly man and we lost another great one with his passing. R I P old friend.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: STU SHUSTER
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: April 11, 2019 08:31PM

That is sad...

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: detroitdude ()
Date: April 11, 2019 09:20PM

Very nice guy and I was very sad
when I heard about his
passing. I had lunch with him
at the Detroit Homecoming and
enjoy listening to his stories
about "corvairs" Caveman Pete
had a nice write up about Stu
in this month's Communique.
RIP Stu

Dan Dood
69 Monza Convertible
66 500 Coupe

Detroit, Michigan

Posted by: 67 airvair ()
Date: April 12, 2019 07:51AM

I grieve over this loss of a truly wonderful friend. I've known Stu for so many years that I can't remember when we first met. I always looked forward to going to Detroit and seeing him, sharing stories with him,and just hearing about those days he had worked at GM along side some of the great people of the company. Gawd will I ever miss that. Such a loss words can never express....I am devastated.sad smiley

-Mark Corbin

Posted by: Caveman_1960 ()
Date: April 12, 2019 08:14AM

Yes, Stu was a really cool guy. Good news regarding the silver 1969 Monza convertible which I refer to now as the Ned Nickles/Stu Shuster special; son Bill Shuster is the new custodian and the car is safely stowed in his garage in suburban Cincinnati. Bill has said that he will continue the tradition and join the local Corvair club. He has already signed the car up for a concours event in the Cincy area later this year. I met with the surviving family, Bill, Ellen and Jay and we are placing some of Stu's collection of artifacts in a special area of the Ypsilanti Automotive Heritage Museum in Ypsilanti, Michigan.

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: April 12, 2019 11:44AM

May he rest in peace. Met him many years ago, and he truly was a great gentleman, and an asset to the Corvair community for many years. My condolences to the entire Shuster family. Paul

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodstock CT... Located on the Connecticut / Massachusetts border, approximately 6 miles from the center of Southbridge MA. About 45 minutes from Hartford CT. 1 1/2 hours West of Boston MA. Woodstock CT to Los Angeles CA 2,937.1 miles. 1 Mile as the crow flies to Big Bird's nest.

Posted by: 67 airvair ()
Date: April 12, 2019 01:21PM

It's good to hear that his/Ned's car is being well taken care of, and that some of his personal treasures are also finding a good home.

At this stage in life (a "senior citizen") I too am considering plans for my various collections, especially since I have no heirs that would be interested in what I have. For example, my house is on a reverse mortgage for the simple reason that my only heirs live in Virginia and LA, and would have no interest whatsoever in a house in Ohio. So this way, all they have to do is hire a moving van to clear out the house, and throw the keys in the mail box on the way out.

Some things that we all must consider, as the continuance of life is not guaranteed, at any point. Like what was once said, we don't really own anything in life, but are just their mere caretakers for their next owner.

For Stu's beloved car, I'm sure his son will remember him every time they take the car out. It, like the Tom Seversen car, will be a memorial to the truly fine man who had it for so many years. Those cars will always be "their" cars, and a fitting way of remembering them.

-Mark

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: April 12, 2019 01:45PM

Well said Mark and Pete (and nice write up Pete). For those that have never seen Stu's car, it was a 69 Monza Convertible, silver paint with stripes, and a tachometer on the front hood. This is how the car was made by Chevrolet so all these "modifications" are factory. I believe the only Corvair made that ever had this tachometer on the hood from the factory.

Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: April 12, 2019 02:12PM

The car was on COMMUNIQUE cover and nice
article inside but the issue date escapes
me. Probably Mark knows however

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo---1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4---1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Posted by: Caveman_1960 ()
Date: April 12, 2019 02:14PM

Okay, the car was "made by Chevrolet" but that doesn't make the changes "factory". Ned had his connections in the Design Staff as well as Chevrolet Engineering in Warren, MI. After the car was produced at Willow Run it went back to the Tech Center for the changes that Ned wanted. If you look at the face of the GTO-style hood tachometer the face reads "Monza" in the correct type font for a 1969 Corvair. Don't be mislead to think there was a "factory" hood tach available for Corvairs.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.