Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
TAKING ORDERS!! New Quick Steering arms-- Different than any others. And Adjustable
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: April 10, 2019 06:49PM

3-1/4 turns lock to lock with standard ratio steering box. ADJUSTABLE

Made with STEEL plate not Cast / Forged / or welded.

Can be used with 13" wheels

Ackerman is adjustable. Bumpsteer is adjustable

$175 Delivered Priority Mail in the US! Paypal / Check / PO MoneyOrder

PPal Abelink AT aol.com

forsale

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Edited 8 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2019 12:54PM by MattNall.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: For Sale! New Quick Steering arms-- Different than any others. And Adjustable
Posted by: toms73novass ()
Date: April 11, 2019 03:14AM

Matt, can you explain how the adjustments are made?

Will these work on EM and LM?

-Tom

63' Monza Spyder Convertable (in process) MY Build Thread
65' Monza MY Build Thread
73' NovaSS 454 Big block
86' BMW 325es
98' Dodge 2500 12v Cummins Diesel with 1200 lb torque!
98' VW Jetta TDI, for daughter
01' Audi Allroad Stage 3 twin turbo

NFCC
Grand Island, NY

Re: For Sale! New Quick Steering arms-- Different than any others. And Adjustable
Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: April 11, 2019 05:08AM

Just ordered, I'll do a report when they get in.

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Posted by: Kyle_in_Mich ()
Date: April 11, 2019 06:11AM

Very interested, but I will be the jerk who waits until a few first hand reports trickle in as to how they work in the real world.

CORSA Member
Traverse City,MI
Daily driver- Bicycle
Fun driver/project- 65 Corsa 140/4 speed

Date: April 11, 2019 07:36AM

vairmech Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just ordered, I'll do a report when they get in.

Thanks, Ken and others willing to try something new!

..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: dryenko ()
Date: April 11, 2019 07:41AM

Beta testing these, but I am drilling my own holes for the ratio I need.
Also so I can use rod ends instead of tie rod ends and be able to adjust bump steer.
They do look very sturdy.

Bob C aka Dryenko
Dobson, NC 27017

Posted by: Paulsgt ()
Date: April 11, 2019 08:39AM

Excellent! Will be interested when production units available.

Enjoy the Corvair!

Paul Sergeant
CORSA Central Division Director / CORSA Treasurer
Lee's Summit, MO
CORSA since 1975
Member – HACOA, Corvair Minnesota, CORSA, Little Indians, POCI

SOLD!

Date: April 11, 2019 08:46AM

toms73novass Wrote:

> > Will these work on EM and LM?

Yes!! Never found the difference between EM & LM. FC's are of course BIGGER

> Ratio adjust On the Balljoint units there is room for another hole to be drilled... quickening

> Is Ackerman adjustment done with what looks like washers in your pic?

Correct Supplied with 3/8" bushings.. Use a thicker bushing to INCREASE Ackerman as I have taken out a lot of Ackerman.

> Bumpsteer adjustment done with where height of tie rod joint is achieved?

Correct again Top / Bottom ... Machine Shoulder Thinner. Tapers are available for $2.99.... then you can machine some 180 degrees opposite.. making numerous heights possible.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2019 09:10PM by MattNall.

Posted by: BobV66Vair ()
Date: April 11, 2019 10:08AM

Would you mind posting your installation directions? I am interested but I need to understand how they will fit and how adjustments are made. I do better with images.

Bob Vinnacombe
Sandy, Oregon
1965 Corsa 140 stock
1966 Monza Soon to be race car
1968 Monza Parts for now

Date: April 11, 2019 11:45AM

Bob they just bolt on like Factory units... After testing 5 different geometries and many "test Fits" I can change them in 12 minutes per side after taking 15 minutes to get the car on the rack... GG

Trick! Before touching anything... car level...wheels straight.... take string / tape measure and measure the distance between INNER FRONT SIDEWALLS...RECORD!

1 Break BOTH SIDE'S Tierod sleeves loose and adjust for approx 3/8" new threads at each end of each TieRod..so you will be close on Toe adjustment. Pop Tierod ends loose but leave nut on to hold them up.

2 Pull drum but leave Hub.... using offset 9/16" or swivel socket on Open endwrench you can hold the bolt head. Factory nuts are self-locking.... usually impact will make them hot and tighten up even more. 3/8's rachet and 3" deep 9/16 socket works great

NOTE: 1/8" BUSHINGS [ 4 ] go between the arm and the spindle.... they fit the machined flat...

3 install TWO 1/8" bushings over each bolt... slide on Arms and tighten bolts..

4 Install tierods into tapers

Install ONE STAINLESS washer over Tierod SHAFT... they Capture the Tapers...

3 Recheck all 3 Nuts / Bolts to be sure they are tight... Self Locking nuts can fool you!

4 Put on the ground and set TOE. Use original measurement.... turn BOTH tierods same amount...1/4 turn on EACH tierod makes a BIG difference!

Tighten All 4 Clamps TEST!!

BUMPSTEER Adjustment visual

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2019 12:41PM by MattNall.

Date: April 11, 2019 11:48AM

Folks... I'm sure others have found the same thing...

Different Tierod end SHAFTS can be slightly different.... some go thru the TAPER further than others...

These Tapers are Purchased from a Well known USA supplier.

[www.speedwaymotors.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2019 08:07AM by MattNall.

Posted by: toms73novass ()
Date: April 11, 2019 02:05PM

Can't wait to give these a try, ordered.

-Tom

63' Monza Spyder Convertable (in process) MY Build Thread
65' Monza MY Build Thread
73' NovaSS 454 Big block
86' BMW 325es
98' Dodge 2500 12v Cummins Diesel with 1200 lb torque!
98' VW Jetta TDI, for daughter
01' Audi Allroad Stage 3 twin turbo

NFCC
Grand Island, NY

Posted by: nirvairna ()
Date: April 11, 2019 02:35PM

nice job on those Matt - are longer tie rod sleeves required for these?

Date: April 11, 2019 06:34PM

nirvairna Wrote:
> nice job on those Matt - are longer tie rod
> sleeves required for these?

I didn't have to... approx. 1" threads engaged... stock '67 Monza

Re: Sold out until 2nd week of May New Quick Steering arms-- Different than any others. And Adjustable
Posted by: ihscomputers ()
Date: April 16, 2019 04:09AM

Matt,

What are the measurements, especially the overall "thickness" compared to the stock quick steers?

The reason is that I bought tknobby's dropped spindle kit and discovered that the stock quick steers are too thick to fit...

Thanks

Dean F. Gemberling
Columbus, Georgia

1963 Rampside w/305 V8 - Built by Ken Arnold in 1998

Re: Sold out until 2nd week of May New Quick Steering arms-- Different than any others. And Adjustable
Date: April 16, 2019 07:24AM

The plate is 0.375"

These Rise above the Spindle mounting holes to avoid any clearance problems with the lower B-J / Castor Rod.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2019 07:26AM by MattNall.

Attachments:
Posted by: 65 Corsa Vert ()
Date: April 16, 2019 07:33AM

I have installed a pair. Thanks Matt for sending them my way.

They were an easy straight forward installation and everything fit like it should. The bolt holes lined up well.

I added about 3/8" of thread on each side of the tie rod sleeve on each side. SO that means between inner and outer tie rod I lengthened the rod 3/4" per side and it got the toe pretty close.

First driving impressions were good. I still need it aligned but I got the first feel.

Steering effort - I did notice a slight increase effort in steering feel. If I had not been looking for it and trying to feel for it, I probably would not have noticed.

I can definitely feel a increase in speed. I saw just about 2 turn lock to lock reduction. I did not feel any twitchiness, just responsiveness to steering input.

I did not notice any more or any less scrubbing in tight turns. I don't think I have turned it full lock enough times to fully assess that but I have to turn it pretty tight when pulling it into my garage and did not notice any scrubbing.

I will qualify my results. I have all new suspension, maybe a thousand miles on it. I have all urethane bushings from Corvair Underground, new sway bar bushings, new strut rod bushings, new ball joins, tie rods, etc. Everything is tight and fairly stiff. So my steering effort was already pretty hard. I also have a 15" wheel from Seth Emerson, which is awesome. grinning smiley

Once I get it aligned I will be able to better compare and drive it more.

Overall I am pretty happy with the arms and increase in steering speed. Changing lanes takes a flick of the wheel and turns are quick. It is really nice not having to turn the wheel so much to go around a corner.

Hope you all enjoy your arms.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2019 07:47AM by MattNall.

Attachments:

Date: April 16, 2019 07:43AM

Thanks Paul! And you are running 17" wheels? Great pics!! They answer many questions!

As you can see there is plenty of clearance! with the 3/8" bushings...

My car has No bushings! I ground reliefs to clear the spindle....works even better!

Adjustable!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2019 07:54AM by MattNall.

Date: April 16, 2019 08:57AM

Correct. Running 215/45/17 Michelin Pilot Sport PS4 on 17x7s on the front. Rears are 225/45/17 on 17x7. So I do have a relatively wide performance tire on the front.

Date: April 22, 2019 11:36AM

I guess I am really bad at setting the toe. The alignment shop said it was way out. But sometimes I think he might be embellishing to make it seem like he did a lot of workspinning smiley sticking its tongue out I am really happy with his results so I will keep going. The steering effort increase seems more noticeable now, again still not what I would call significant. One the road it is not twitchy at all. It does require very little steering input to change lanes. The steering arms have no steering stop as Matt had mentioned previously. I have clearance my fenders a bit due to the tire, wheel, and stance combination. Turning radius seems better, if not, just the same as before. I did not notice any scrubbing of tires in tight turns. Car is great to drive. I just wish my front end parts where not so stiff. I am overall fairly happy with the arms and seems ot have done the trick without making it hard to drive.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.