Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Cost To Paint A ‘66 Corvair Sedan?
Date: April 09, 2019 05:34PM

I’m a younger newbie, desperately been searching for a reliable source or other threads to find out about this question.

I just bought a ‘66 Corvair Sedan as a first car, totally not expecting it to be great or anything. For the price it was pretty nice! I’d just like to repaint it. The condition cosmetically isn’t great. Multiple scratches as if someone had keyed the car all along the right side, many more scratches and a large ding on the front trunk lid. As well as a large rusting dent under the bumper. A small hole on the passenger side.

With all these outter cosmetic issues, I wasn’t quite sure what to think. Except that I wanted them decently fixed paint wise. I don’t mind the dinks or some scratches, Im just wanting it to be shiny and more pleasant to look at. At the time I have 1k saved up, obviously not enough for a good paint.

Closest research I’ve found is the most of 5k to 6k, however I’d like a good paint job, I can truly only afford about 2500 or so.

Does anyone know what that could get me, if anything?
Thank you!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cost To Paint A ‘66 Corvair Sedan?
Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: April 09, 2019 05:37PM

If you are a "younger" newbie you might consider signing up with a community college auto body shop class and then do the work yourself. Lots of $$$ is charged by body shops for their time and effort. Now where are you located? And WELCOME.
I bought my first Corvair 42 years ago at the young age of 16 and have had them ever since. Oh and 4 DOORS RULE!

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: April 09, 2019 05:40PM

Welcome to the CCF!

Why the name? Crossbone sounds much better and you won't be a newbie for long!

When it comes to work... Body / Paint / Repair...

Only you can shop your area..

Try to find a local retired painter that works out of his home... more likely to get a higher Quality result for the $$$ you have..

And let them know what YOU Want to pay at the start...

Also, local High School / Adult education classes are usually looking for something to work on..

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: April 09, 2019 05:43PM

I hope I’m not breaking any rules by being on this site, I am that age. Hahah! I just couldn’t find any other place to strictly discuss Corvairs. I wish I’d be able to do that, however at the time I cannot. At least can’t go to a auto body shop class yet..

I’m currently in Oklahoma, are there different prices for painting or is t just a welcoming statement? Haha sorry!

Funny that you say that! I was actually originally looking for a coupe. They seem smaller because I am quite tiny. But now that I have a sedan I’ve really much come to loving those 4 doors! Heck yeah!

Date: April 09, 2019 05:45PM

Actually quite the newbie! Haven’t been knowledgeable in vehicles at all. Really just came here for some important questions 😅

Thank you though!! I’ll most certainly look those up! Maybe try local Facebook Marketplace, too

Posted by: Early Guy ()
Date: April 09, 2019 05:46PM

I agree with Tim on the Community College route. As an alternative if there are any Maaco shops in your area the quality is not that of a good body shop but the cost is usually not to bad.

Ray Johnson Villa Park IL 63 Spyder Conv. 140 EFI

Posted by: streblerm ()
Date: April 09, 2019 06:21PM

About 80% of any paint job is in the prep and body work. 10% is the paint itself and the other 10 is color sanding and buffing. In your price range I would recommend that you try your hand at the bodywork and prep and then have MAACO do the paint job.

Bodywork can be done without a bunch of expensive tools if you have the time and inclination. Some sandpaper and sanding blocks and a hammer and dolly set and you are halfway to being a body man. Start removing the scratches with 180-220 grit and prime. There are decent primers in cans these days. Buy some body filler and follow the instructions. Shape filler with 80 grit then finish with 180/220 and prime. Dents can be worked out. Push up on the low spots and tap down the high ones before filler. Depending on your long term expectations you could fill the rust hole with filler or there are adhesives out there that are made for panel replacement. Once all the scratches and filler are finished in 180/220 and primed then sand the whole car down with 400 grit sandpaper. Each of these steps may need repeating several times to get where you want. Put a little on, sand a little off etc...At that point it’s ready for MAACO to seal and paint. What really makes for a nice paint job is removal of as much trim as possible rather than masking.

Figure $1000 in tools and materials for body and prep, $1000 to MAACO for their better paint and sealer and the experience of doing your own bodywork is priceless.

Bodywork isn’t rocket science. It is a skill for sure but nobody dies if you get it wrong. Worst case scenario you sand it off and start over.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2019 06:23PM by streblerm.

Posted by: PGVair ()
Date: April 09, 2019 06:50PM

One thing you can do yourself that can possibly save money, but will result in a better paint job is to remove the trim and bumpers. Some shops won't remove them for their lower price paint jobs. Removing the trim around the front windshield and rear window would be the a good idea, but can be made easier with the special tool to release the clips. Everything else is held on with screws and bolts. The exterior door handles required taking off the interior door panels, so those are a little more work. In my opinion, it would be real hard to paint around the Corvair script emblem on the front panel and engine lid, and they are very easy to remove. Careful masking to keep overspray off of areas where it shouldn't be is important.

As others mentioned, I took a body and paint class at a local technical center back about 1980. It was one of the most useful classes I took. If nothing else, you learn about all types of paint and know what to look for when you go shopping for a paint job.

Wade Lanning

Posted by: ken ()
Date: April 09, 2019 06:53PM

I am in the middle of painting my 65 as I type . It's a lot of work if done correctly . I am sanding all of the paint of to bare metal because it has had one repaint . Lots of DA sanding . And once you remove the paint you find previous bondo repairs . More work . I had to remove the front and rear windows because of rust under the window trim . The front fenders are rusted aft of the wheel well and I have to weld in the patch panels and the doors have some rust at forward lower corners . More patching to do . Los of little dents to fix . But it is a good solid N. Carolina car . I will be changing colors from green to Burnt Orange . so that means painting the inside the new color to include the dash . I don't know what I would charge but it would not be cheap .

Posted by: TheRealHip ()
Date: April 09, 2019 08:46PM

Go to craigslist and look under services for auto and body work.

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: April 09, 2019 08:46PM

I hope I’m not breaking any rules by being on this site,

Nope. You asked a Corvair question, you are fine!thumbs up

Answer: $50 to $10,000.

My first car I painted was with Western Auto spray cans of Appliance White, $29 worth at 69 cents a can! I could have done Earl Scheib cheaper....winking smiley

All the above advice is good.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: 67 airvair ()
Date: April 09, 2019 10:47PM

Depends on how much prep work you do yourself, like the one post said, removing the bumpers, etc.

But it could easily range from $2500 to $11,500 (as in a full restoration). My own full, down to the last nut and bolt, pavement-up, restoration was quoted on the estimate as the latter figure, while my convertible's just-strip-the-outside repaint was quoted as the former.

Just remember the three things you can get from a body shop; you can have it done affordably, you can have it done quickly, and you can have it done well. BUT eye popping smiley you can only have two of the three, so choose wisely. confused smiley

-Mark

Posted by: 4carbcorvair ()
Date: April 10, 2019 05:01AM

Simple answer. If you are not doing it yourself, you need to have a body shop/voc school look at it in person and get a guestimate.

--------------------------------
Ronnie
Southern Maine.
www.dirigocorvairs.net
66 Corsa Convertible, 140, 4sp.
65 Monza Convertible, 110, PG.

It doesn't leak, it's marking it's territory.

A mirror is a reflection of the miles travelled.

Date: April 10, 2019 05:42AM

+1 on the prep work. Ive used maaco a few times. The key is to yank bumpers, lights, anything else removable, do the prep work yourself, I've even pulled glass before. Then the average maaco job with a single stage paint around here is like 400$.

1961 Corvair 700 Sedan - 3sp - Gasoline Heat - Lowered a bit - Rust in Progress
I live my life 19.5 seconds at a time.

Posted by: larry202br ()
Date: April 10, 2019 08:10AM

Haven't used Maaco, but FYI, they're having a sale until the end of the month.

1961 rampside with a 65 / 67 110 engine, car four speed.
1965 convertible
1966 Custom two door/four door

KC0SKX
Olathe, ks
HACOA

Posted by: john.jackson ()
Date: April 10, 2019 08:32AM

Welcome!

Can you post some pictures of your car? It may get you some more pointers. But those pointers above are all good information!

Posted by: flamingchariots ()
Date: April 11, 2019 08:38AM

Two pieces of advice:
1) Take plenty of pictures of each item as you are removing them and tag what goes where and with which screws.

2) For parts, Rafee Corvair is located in Wister, OK. Highest recommendations! [corvair1.com]

Kevin
Medina, OH

Posted by: chrisverble ()
Date: April 11, 2019 09:11AM

Back when I was in high school, I did the sand and prepwork on my Honda Civic and took it to Maaco. The package I selected was under $2k I believe.

Posted by: playerpage ()
Date: April 11, 2019 10:31AM

Last year here in California I found a local opo and son shop that did mine for $3000--$1500 for the pint job, $1500 for the body work. The key is to shop around, and TELL them you are shopping. There are hundreds of painters in any given area, and they compete with each other.

I agree you should tell the painter your budget up front--about half to 2/3 of what you're really willing to pay, so WHEN they come back with items they say they can't do for the price they gave you, you will be ready. Same goes for anyone you ask to help w/ the interior--but I did my interior myself, it was a great confidence builder and relaxation technique.

Eric C. Player
Porterville, CA
- National Member, CORSA
- Member: Central Coast CORSA & South Coast CORSA

THEN: 1967 Monza 110 Canary Yellow/1966 Corsa 180 Turbo, Red/
1965 Monza 110 Purple/1967 Monza 140 Red/1966 500 110 Black/1965 Monza 110 Camaro Yellow
NOW: 1966 Corsa 180 Turbo Coupe Blue. Blue/Beige interior.

"He cautioned me not to take notes. It would not have helped if I had, as he would start a paragraph with, 'It is therefore obvious. . .' and go on from there to matters which may have been obvious to him and God but to no one else." -- Daniel B. Davis

Posted by: moomba32 ()
Date: April 11, 2019 11:37AM

Watch YouTube videos, buy some tools and do it yourself, it's fun learning. Instead of spraying the automotive paints start out painting with Rustoleum, amazing how good it looks, may not last long but it's good for learning.

Don Marlowe
66 Monza 2Dr 140/pg
64 Spyder convertible now, 110/pg
Eutawville SC

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.