Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: High idle and pulling in drive or reverse
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: April 12, 2019 07:31AM

Johnnya101 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks for the tips. What exactly does your first
> part with the pliers do? Hold what in? Sorry,
> maybe I'm just misunderstanding what you mean.
>
> I can disconnect the linkage and try that later .
===============================================================

They hold the small short piece of small wire stitch talked about...A bristle from a wire brush works well also.

You can disconnect the linkage first and try that... then add gas to the carb that doesn't squirt at all.

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Johnnya101 ()
Date: April 12, 2019 12:33PM

Good news!

Followed what you said Matt, and disconnected the rods. Both pumps squirt two STRONG streams. The rods or pumps are waaaaay out of adjustment. Trying to bend the rods, man are they hard

Date: April 12, 2019 12:49PM

Yes, they are!! Heat with Propane / Mappgas torch You make them shorter!

1 So the CUP rises above the wall of the well... letting fuel in

IF you still cannot get enough Squirt...

Then you drill another hole in the flat arm 3/8" Back and put the link in that hole!

..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: April 12, 2019 02:09PM

OK, so adjusted the rods carefully and came up with a summary. The driver's pump works great, just moving the throttle a little will give it a strong stream now (before it only had a weak one some of the time). The passenger side is iffy. I have to slam the throttle down to get a weak stream. With the rod removed, its a little better but moving it slowly does not produce a stream like the other one. Took it for a test drive, runs MUCH BETTER. no more surging that I noticed, lots of power. Still minor stumbling, but no where near what it was. I can live with it for a little while.

Side note: how much smoke coming out of the drive by tube (it's a 61. No PCV system, just the tube out of the bottom) is normal/acceptable? There's a wisp of it if I crouch down in the back and.look at it. Not a huge cloud and can't see it at a higher rpm when driving. It's a 50k mile (documented) engine so I wouldn't think it's worn yet. PO said it has 30wt in it. Going to do a full oil change soon with new filter. Distributor LOOKS okay, but who knows. Have a new tune up kit I'll have to install too. Plugs look shiny and new, and there are new plug wires . Hope that's well within the acceptable range? Could even be mostly steam, there's some condensation on the cap (haven't had a chance to go on a long drive combined with frost every morning and non working t stat bellows...). I don't smell any gasoline on the dipstick or anything weird, and if there is any, it's very little.

Date: April 12, 2019 04:55PM

Small amount is normal.... drive it several hundred miles first...

On the WEAK pump... it needs a cup!

Date: April 12, 2019 05:05PM

Think I'll just drill the holes first and see if I can get it working.

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.