Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: toploader to C5 adapter building.
Posted by: OttawaCorvairGuy ()
Date: May 13, 2019 06:04AM

Vairefast Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Using the newer c5 diff is in the works. The one in the picture is a spare I had just in case I wanted to run a different final drive ratio. Its a 2:73. The one in the car atm, is a 3:42 but still the 1 rib case. So far I haven't needed to upgrade anything. Car's fairly light @3000lbs and I don't take to the drag strip. Most of the diff failures come from really hard launches and sticky tires. I'm trying to decide if i want to buy another 3rib case and then put all the 3:42 stuff in it or buy a 3 rib 3:42 diff complete and then rebuild it with all zo6 or aftermarket stuff. I figure I can throw about $2k into a diff real quick. That's if I put it all together myself which I hear is 0 fun. As of right now I don't think I "need" to change it but it might be nice. Remember this car ran a stock corvair trans and diff with the bbc in it for years, so all the weak c5 stuff is still miles stronger and cheaper.
>
> Your post about the sdr-5 is starting to look better and better. Still a tough pill to swallow at 9k+ and the shifter for it is 2k+. I think if I went balls out with new everything toploader or big car Saginaw and a super built c5 diff I would be under that by a bit.
>
> Hopefully with the new motor and trans setup the goal is to get the car to 2800lbs.

SDR-5 is not for a money saving project. It would provide much more space to help make it more comfortable for an every day driver. Thus the cost might be worth it all. However, On my thread asking about the SDR-5, a couple people say they know of ones that did not hold up. That would bother me. And more so because of the cost.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2019 06:05AM by OttawaCorvairGuy.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: May 13, 2019 07:20AM

And the REPAIR cost!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: Vairefast ()
Date: May 19, 2019 12:10AM

Weight of the complete transaxle. 174.5lbs. w/o oil or throwout bearing.

So aluminum case trans complete with adapter. 69.5 lbs.
Diff c5 with factory vibration dampener. 75 lbs
Lakewood bellhousing. 30lbs.

Think I might run an aluminum nascar or factory bell housing to drop some weight but I'll probably add the c5 upper aftermarket stiffener. So weight might stay about the same all said and done. Hopefully drop a few lbs.

Anyone have a corvair diff and trans they can weigh for comparison?

Darrin
65 Crown
68 Monza convert

Posted by: Vairefast ()
Date: May 19, 2019 02:52PM

Found some #'s if anyone is interested. Copy from a post on here.
Engine 310-325 lbs
trans. and diff. 125-140 lbs
all together 430-460 lbs.

Darrin
65 Crown
68 Monza convert

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.