Corvair DiagramCorvair Photo
Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"



Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: New owner of a 1961 Lakewood
Posted by: wesleygarrard ()
Date: April 08, 2019 06:58PM

MoxyRamone Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Welcome to the Forum! If the transmission was that
> low, it has to be leaking from somewhere. I would
> check the shift cable sheath for cracks. There are
> many good write ups here about how to fix it.


That is the exact question I asked after topping things off brought things into gear. My plan is to drove around town a bit once I get the brakes sorted. Then put it back up on the ramps and look for some errant Dexron.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New owner of a 1961 Lakewood
Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: April 09, 2019 04:00PM

You should really check the differential oil before driving it. If it has transmission fluid in it that spells quick death for the gears.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 114 Corvairs and counting...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New owner of a 1961 Lakewood
Posted by: wesleygarrard ()
Date: April 10, 2019 05:57AM

joelsplace Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You should really check the differential oil
> before driving it. If it has transmission fluid
> in it that spells quick death for the gears.


Thanks for the tip! I plan to change all fluids. Something I like to do with any used car I get. I will check for ATF when I drain the oil in the diff.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New owner of a 1961 Lakewood
Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: April 10, 2019 07:14AM

Since you have a Powerglide you can use any good synthetic GL5 oil in the differential.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 114 Corvairs and counting...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New owner of a 1961 Lakewood
Posted by: wesleygarrard ()
Date: April 10, 2019 07:38AM

joelsplace Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Since you have a Powerglide you can use any good
> synthetic GL5 oil in the differential.

Thanks! I keep a stock of GL-5 for my three 60's Beetles and Whitney's MG Midget.

I am aware of the whole GL-4 vs GL-5 contorversy. There is a 60 page thread over on the VW forum all about it.

I noticed rumblings of it here as well. The official consensus over on the VW forum is if the GL-5 also carries the MT1 rating, it is fine with brass synchros. I have been doing it for over a decade with no issues.

I thought I would explain myself a little as in the aircooled VW world at least, lubrication is a VERY touchy issue.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New owner of a 1961 Lakewood
Posted by: wesleygarrard ()
Date: April 21, 2019 03:15PM

I had to take a brake from the Lakewood this past week.

[drivetribe.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New owner of a 1961 Lakewood
Posted by: wesleygarrard ()
Date: May 28, 2020 02:13PM

An update on our Lakewood!

[drivetribe.com]

[youtu.be]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New owner of a 1961 Lakewood
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: May 28, 2020 02:53PM

Nice work and presentation!

MODERATOR
Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New owner of a 1961 Lakewood
Posted by: doug6423 ()
Date: May 28, 2020 02:56PM

Nice! Where did you learn how to do that? smileys with beer

Doug
65 Monza
Cincy, OH

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New owner of a 1961 Lakewood
Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: May 28, 2020 03:17PM

Vairy Nice!
You and richard1 have some mad skills in things automotive. thumbs up

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
Have; '66 Monza Coupe - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 A/C Moredoor Monza
Have had; '61 Monza coupe, 80hp, PG
'62 Monza Wagon, 4spd.
'63 Spyder,
'65 Corsa
.
non-vair
'04 Dodge Cummins Quad Dually, approaching 400K
'03 Honda Del Sol
17'Terry

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New owner of a 1961 Lakewood
Posted by: OttawaCorvairGuy ()
Date: May 28, 2020 03:35PM

wesleygarrard

Congratulations on your new to you Corvair wagon and welcome to CCF.

Thanks for sharing the video. I enjoyed watching it.


Tony



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/2020 03:35PM by OttawaCorvairGuy.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New owner of a 1961 Lakewood
Posted by: wesleygarrard ()
Date: May 31, 2020 03:09PM

doug6423 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice! Where did you learn how to do that? smileys with beer

Thanks! I was never taught really. It is the result of diligent research, trial and error, a lot of patience, and perseverance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New owner of a 1961 Lakewood
Posted by: wesleygarrard ()
Date: May 31, 2020 03:09PM

MattNall Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice work and presentation!

Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New owner of a 1961 Lakewood
Posted by: wesleygarrard ()
Date: May 31, 2020 03:10PM

Thanks everyone. I enjoy the learning experience and just the sheer high of overcoming huge obstacles.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New owner of a 1961 Lakewood
Posted by: wesleygarrard ()
Date: June 04, 2020 12:19PM

Part 2 of the floor rebuild. Enjoy! Next is interior trimming.

[drivetribe.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New owner of a 1961 Lakewood
Posted by: OttawaCorvairGuy ()
Date: June 04, 2020 03:11PM

Wesley,

Very nice work.

Mine has good floors. But when are you coming over to install just the inner and outer rockers on the passenger side only of my Wagon? Grin
(I have most of the parts)

Thanks for taking the time to share what you are doing.

Tony


Here is what my wagon looked like when I got it.



Front view with 60 front end already installed by a previous owner.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New owner of a 1961 Lakewood
Posted by: wesleygarrard ()
Date: June 06, 2020 06:58PM

Thanks man! I wish ours was as solid as yours. Rockers are next on our wagon too. This one has new rockers, but they were welded on top of the old ones. It is something we are going to tackle next year maybe.

OttawaCorvairGuy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wesley,
>
> Very nice work.
>
> Mine has good floors. But when are you coming over to install just the inner and outer rockers on the passenger side only of my Wagon? Grin
> (I have most of the parts)
>
> Thanks for taking the time to share what you are doing.
>
> Tony
>
>
> Here is what my wagon looked like when I got it.
>
>
>
> Front view with 60 front end already installed by a previous owner.
>

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New owner of a 1961 Lakewood
Posted by: OttawaCorvairGuy ()
Date: June 06, 2020 07:36PM

Wow, I never thought to look to see how the one rocker side was installed.
I don't think he did. But now you got me wondering - if it was welded them over the old one.



wesleygarrard Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks man! I wish ours was as solid as yours. Rockers are next on our wagon too. This one has new rockers, but they were welded on top of the old ones. It is something we are going to tackle next year maybe.
>
> OttawaCorvairGuy Wrote:
> -------------------------------------------------------
> > Wesley,
> >
> > Very nice work.
> >
> > Mine has good floors. But when are you coming over to install just the inner and outer rockers on the passenger side only of my Wagon? Grin
> > (I have most of the parts)
> >
> > Thanks for taking the time to share what you are doing.
> >
> > Tony
> >
> >
> > Here is what my wagon looked like when I got it.
> >
> >
> >
> > Front view with 60 front end already installed by a previous owner.
> >

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New owner of a 1961 Lakewood
Posted by: wesleygarrard ()
Date: June 07, 2020 02:55PM

It is quite possible. If you ever read the details in the repair panel section of the Clark's catalog, they normalize putting patch panels OVER the old rusty panels.So I am sure that was a cheap repair done on many Corvairs. The easiest way to tell is to look at the pinch seam along the bottom of the rocker.

OttawaCorvairGuy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wow, I never thought to look to see how the one rocker side was installed.
> I don't think he did. But now you got me wondering - if it was welded them over the old one.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New owner of a 1961 Lakewood
Posted by: wesleygarrard ()
Date: July 28, 2020 07:10AM

It is all buttoned up!

It has been great using the wagon for one of my favorite physical distancing activites, canoeing.

[drivetribe.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Current Page: 2 of 3


Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.