Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: GL4 Gear Lube
Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: June 13, 2019 05:46AM

GL-5 is generally bad for brass but the Redline specifically says theirs is good for brass. I don't know on the other questions since as you said Redline information seems to contradict.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, Lost count at 100 Corvairs...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: June 13, 2019 09:03AM

Joel - Sadly Red Line lube names are CONFUSING. ONLY the "NS" GL-5 is "modified" to play well with brass synchros. They claim it won't affect brass and meets the GL-5 Extreme Pressure requirements without being too "slippery" to allow the synchros to work.

The other Red Line GL-5 lubricants ARE NOT approved for use in transmissions (or transaxles with "yellow" metal.

Date: June 13, 2019 09:37AM

Good point. I should have specified I was talking about the one in the previous link.

Joel
Northlake, TX

Posted by: Willt65 ()
Date: June 13, 2019 01:55PM

The red line MT-90 that I have is rated GL-4. Can I assume it is OK because of the GL-4 rating??? I hope so! Can someone get clarification. Thanks!!!

Will Teeter
Flintstone, MD
65 Corsa project
66 Monza parts car
49 Chevy 5 window project
08 Chevy 2500
13 Honda Odyssey
07 Honda 919
04 Honda Rancher
96 Honda XR400R

Posted by: playerpage ()
Date: July 10, 2019 10:16AM

This is like asking about iPhones vs Android. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Eric C. Player, Porterville, CA
Member: CORSA National, Central Coast CORSA, South Coast CORSA, and San Joaquin Valley Corvair Club
THEN: 1965 Monza 110 Canary Yellow
1967 Monza 140 Red
1966 500 110, Black; nicknamed "Shadow"
1965 Monza 110, Camaro Yellow; nicknamed "Silver"
NOW: 1966 Corsa 180 Turbo; nicknamed "Bluvair"

"It would not have helped if I had [taken notes], as he would start a paragraph with, 'It is therefore obvious. . .'
and go on from there to matters which may have been obvious to him and God but to no one else."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, character of Daniel B. Davis, 'The Door Into Summer.'

------

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: July 10, 2019 11:48AM

Ebay or Amazon! Make your life easy!! GGG

[www.ebay.com]

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: MrNapaCorvair ()
Date: July 29, 2019 10:15AM

What gear oil should I use on a 4 speed Saginaw mounted to a posi diff?

1969-01 dukes of hazard corvair
1969 frost green restoration project

Posted by: solo2r ()
Date: July 29, 2019 12:31PM

Gl-4 with a friction modifier additive [Ford CM19546A1 Friction Modifier]

Posted by: TheRealHip ()
Date: August 18, 2019 05:32PM

Found this on youtube thought it was kinda interesting

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: beenzo2since71 ()
Date: August 18, 2019 06:48PM

Joel / mrNAPA , at our NAPA store in wi. we can get GL4 in STALUBE brand. al

Posted by: richard1 ()
Date: August 19, 2019 01:21PM

TheRealHip Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Found this on youtube thought it was kinda interesting
>
>
> [www.youtube.com]
>

Interesting, but he messes up a bunch of stuff.
-- the black from the sulfur/phos does not need those temps to form, I see if often in 40ºC gear boxes on brass.

-- his viscosity tests are interesting, but before he does that he talks about viscosity for GL-4 and GL-5 being different. Not so. There is a range, so any brand may be targeting a lower or higher point in that range, but their 80W-90 will be the same for both (generally). And he says they put polymers in to change it, and 80W-90 are straight weight oils. No polymers.

-- And he goes back to the old myth of the sulfur/phos attacking the yellow metals, That is 4 years old argument. It is the sticking to the metal that peels it.

-- All he would have to do is use GL-4 in a transmission for X miles, and then GL-5 for similar driving in similar miles. Doing oil analysis on both. That is the difference.

Transmission rebuilders rarely see the problems of what they have put in, as the problems appear after 80,000 miles or so. Ant at that point, few know the history, and I doubt the the same transmission was maintained and torn apart twice by the same person.

AND, I have a transmission that has GL-4 80W-90 in it for 400,000 miles without ever coming apart for any problems.

Restoration in Bolivia
Richard's Mini Pickup
Richard's Corvair
Richard's Renault Dauphine

Selection of the Right Motor Oil for the Corvair
Selection of the right transmission oil for the corvair
How to polish and restore stainless and aluminum trim

Date: August 19, 2019 08:51PM

If 80W-90 is straight weight why 2 numbers and what do they mean?

Joel
Northlake, TX

Posted by: firevair66 ()
Date: August 21, 2019 09:31AM

Isn't there a simple answer , as what to use and brands.

John Shoemaker,Riegelsville,PA.
1958 Impala Sport Cp. 348 ,pg/ac
61 Rampside full custom show truck
65 Monza 110/4 vert driver
65 Full Custom Monza 140 Cp
66 Monza 110/PG Vert
66 Corsa FITCH SPRINT Documented ( in Process,recondition)
66 CorV8 350 "firevair"Custom Show

Posted by: larry202br ()
Date: August 21, 2019 09:45AM

firevair66 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Isn't there a simple answer , as what to use and brands.

Yes! Amsoil GL-4

1961 rampside with a 65 / 67 110 engine, car four speed.
1965 convertible
1966 Custom two door/four door 180 Turbo.

KC0SKX
Olathe, ks
HACOA

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: August 21, 2019 11:02AM

I have switched to Brad Penn 80/90 and bought a case on Ebay.

If I want synthetic I will use Amsoil. I'd like to use Redline but it's not clear cut enough for me which one.

I was using Sta-Lube from NAPA but it's 85/90. The Brad Penn 80/90 was cheaper too, about $7 a quart instead of 9.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Date: August 21, 2019 04:56PM

If 80W-90 is straight weight why 2 numbers and what do they mean?

The SAE 90 rating is a very wide band of viscosities. When recommending the right lubricant, if you just say 90, it could be thick or thin at cold temperatures.

"W" is how the oil behaves at cold temperatures. So the upper part of the 90 range ends up pumping like an 85W, while the lower end of the 90 pumps at 80W.

I posted this once, but here you can see how they compare at different temperatures.

Restoration in Bolivia
Richard's Mini Pickup
Richard's Corvair

Attachments:

Date: August 23, 2019 07:26PM

So I guess there is no way to know if it is straight or multi-grade without knowing some specs on the particular oil?
Thanks!

Joel
Northlake, TX

Date: August 24, 2019 04:27PM

If you look at the product specs, a viscosity index below 108 is single grade, over that is multigrade.

If they don't give you a viscosity index, you can put their viscosity at 40ºC and 100ºC in this calculator for the VI
viscosity index calculator

If you want to see where a particular oil falls in the range, put those two viscosities for up to 4 oils in this graph tool (you may have to turn on flash on your browser)
viscosity graph

Restoration in Bolivia
Richard's Mini Pickup
Richard's Corvair

Posted by: Caraholic4life ()
Date: August 25, 2019 03:05PM

After reading through these three pages, I started looking online for a product that should work acceptably with Hypoid Gears and have a GL4 Rating, I found the following:

Initially I thought that the Valvoline SynPower was what I wanted, but it appears the Valvoline SynPower is NOT what I initially thought it was, after reading through the Notes. It appears that MAYBE the Valvoline Professional Series Manual Transmission Fluid (I was unable to find anything on the Professional Series Manual Transmission Fluid.) or ? Valvoline Synchromesh Manual Transmission Fluid, PN 811095 might be a better option?

For comparison I have included information from the Valvoline website for bot products. First the SynPower, then the Syncromesh Manual Transmission Fluid.
My concern is if the latter will function in the differential as well?

Valvoline SynPower™ Full Synthetic Gear Oil is formulated for ultimate protection and performance. A thermally stable, extreme-pressure gear lubricant, it is designed to operate and protect in both high and low extreme-temperature conditions. SynPower Gear Oil is specially recommended for limited-slip hypoid differentials and is compatible with conventional gear lubricants.

VALVOLINE™ SYNPOWER™ FULL SYNTHETIC GEAR OIL W/ LIMITED SLIP
Valvoline SynPower Full Synthetic Gear Oil is a superior sulfur-phosphorus extreme pressure gear lubricant formulated with synthetic basestocks and additives to provide excellent performance. It is designed to provide excellent extreme pressure protection, load carrying capacity, anti-foam performance, corrosion protection, and thermal stability protection. It is recommended for conventional and high-performance applications.
SynPower Gear Oil is recommended for use in axle applications requiring factory-fill or drain-and-fill levels of limited slip performance. SynPower 75W-90 is suitable for use where GMW 16445, Dexron 75W-90 gear oil, is specified. SynPower 75W-140 is recommended for use where Ford M2C-192A, GM 12346140, Chrysler MS-8985, or GL-5 SAE 75W-140 gear oil is specified. The addition of a supplemental friction modifier (Ford M2C-118-A, Chrysler MS-5630, or GM 1052358) is not required.

Valvoline SynPower Full Synthetic Gear Oil Advantages: ? Thermal Protection: Provides outstanding thermal stability for cleanliness and longer service life. ? Corrosion Protection: Protects parts from rust and corrosion. ? Reduces Chattering: Contains special additives to reduce chattering in limited-slip differentials. ? Wear Protection: Contains additives to assist in protecting gear teeth. ? Flow Properties: Provides excellent low temperature protection.
Recommended for the following applications: 75W-90
75W-140 API MT-1 X API GL-5 X X API GL-4* X X MIL-PRF-2105E X SAE J2360 X Mack GO-J X
Typical Properties: 75W-90 75W-140 KV100 (cSt) 15.6 25.8 KV40 (cSt) 100 171 Viscosity Index 150 183 Density (lbs/gal) 7.22 7.18 Pour Point (oC) -48 -48 Phosphorus, ppm 1600 2100 Sulfur, wt. % 1.8 2.3 Boron, ppm 500 300
*In synchronized manual transmission applications use: ? Valvoline Professional Series Manual Transmission Fluid or ? Valvoline Synchromesh Manual Transmission Fluid
Effective Date: Author's Initials: 2/12/19 KD

VALVOLINETM SYNCHROMESH MANUAL TRANSMISSION FLUID
For Certain GM and Chrysler Synchromesh Applications

Valvoline SYNCHROMESH Manual Transmission Fluid is a high performance manual transmission lubricant designed to meet the extreme demands of passenger car manual transmission gearbox applications in certain GM and Chrysler vehicles. It contains a blend of multifunctional additives, a shear resistant viscosity modifier and premium quality base stocks. It is designed to provide excellent load carrying capacity, extreme pressure properties, anti-foam performance, corrosion protection and thermal stability protection as well as provide excellent cold temperature properties without altering synchronizer performance characteristics.
This product is recommended for Synchromesh applications in certain GM and Chrysler vehicles where synchronizer performance is vital. It is fully compatible with components in modern manual transmissions including yellow metals like bronze, copper and brass. Valvoline Synchromesh Manual Transmission Fluid is suitable for use in the following manual transmissions and manual transaxles: GM Part Numbers 12345349 and 12345577, Chrysler Part Number 4874464, and for top up applications in GM part Number 12377916. Meets API GL-4.
The Valvoline SYNCHROMESH Manual Transmission Fluid Advantage ? Wide Temperature Range: Enhanced performance in both low and high temperature operating conditions ? Thermal Stability Resistance to oxidation and remains stable under extreme temperatures ? Wear Protection: Excellent wear protection under high loads and extreme pressure ? Anti-Foam Performance: Exceptional anti-foam performance for added protection ? Corrosion Protection: Protects parts from rust and corrosion ? Yellow Metal: Fully compatible with yellow metals including copper, bronze, brass ? Synchronizers: Outstanding performance of synchronizers
Typical Properties: Valvoline SYNCHROMESH Manual Transmission Fluid Vis @ 100oC (cSt) 8.8 Vis @ 40oC (cSt) 49.9 Viscosity Index 157 Spec Gravity @ 60oF 0.872 Density (lbs/gal) 7.27 Flash COC (oC) 201 Pour Point (oC) , max -42 Phosphorus, wt.% 0.14 Sulfur, wt.% Zinc, wt% .35 0.11
Effective Date: Author's Initials: 7/20/18 EMF

Before I purchase any Gear Oil for my Corvair, I would like to get opinions on this, especially since it does not specifically indicate 75w90 anywhere that I could find. Valvoline Synchromesh Manual Transmission Fluid Part # 811095 [www.napaonline.com]

I really miss the days when I could simply go to the auto parts store and pick up a bottle of 75w90 and not worry if it was correct or not. JMO

1962 95 F.C. Van
1965 Monza Coupe
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Date: August 26, 2019 02:27PM

Neither one is acceptable

The first says clearly that it is a sulfur/phosphorous EP GL-5. That will wear away your synchronizers.

The second, and just about anything with "Synchromesh" in the name, is a 75W-80. Way too thin to protect a Corvair.

Restoration in Bolivia
Richard's Mini Pickup
Richard's Corvair

Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.