Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: GL4 Gear Lube
Posted by: corvairne ()
Date: June 05, 2019 01:31PM

Would Pennzoil Synchromesh manual transmission fluid work GL-3?

Dave Larsen
1965 Corsa vert 140/4 speed
Omaha NE
CORSA member

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: June 06, 2019 04:44AM

I looked around at gear oils quite a bit lately and settled on a case of Brad Penn 80/90 GL-4 on Ebay for about $7 a quart. Cheaper than the Sta-Lube 85/90 I was buying ay NAPA for $36 a gallon and the proper viscosity.
If wanting synthetic I will probably go with Amsoil instead of Redline MT-90 I used previously. Redline is a little foggy on whether it's okay in the differential.
Most of my decision is based on Richard1 papers.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: June 06, 2019 01:12PM

JimBrandberg Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I looked around at gear oils quite a bit lately and settled on a case of Brad Penn 80/90 GL-4 on Ebay for about $7 a quart. Cheaper than the Sta-Lube 85/90 I was buying ay NAPA for $36 a gallon and the proper viscosity.
> If wanting synthetic I will probably go with Amsoil instead of Redline MT-90 I used previously. Redline is a little foggy on whether it's okay in the differential.
> Most of my decision is based on Richard1 papers.

Thanks for the input Jim.
I'm using the Sta-Lub 85-90 GL4 and can confirm shifting is a bit stiff even at 60-70F until the transaxle warms up. Based you your comments, and cnicol, richard1 , I ordered the Brad Penn 80-90 GL4. 12 Quarts for $77.00 on Amazon. Seller has a good rating so it should be fine. I've got two Vairs so that works for me. If you try to order single quarts (less than 12) the price goes up considerably.

Posted by: v8vair ()
Date: June 06, 2019 07:27PM

If you want the best shifting gearbox and a lube that works with the Corvair posi transaxle, Swepco 201 is the best. Mike

Posted by: richard1 ()
Date: June 07, 2019 06:19AM

corvairne Wrote:
> Would Pennzoil Synchromesh manual transmission fluid work GL-3?

Too thin, and not enough protection.

Swepco 201 is the best

I'm going to doubt that, based on their web page. No where does it say it is for synchronized transmissions. It may have long term consequences.

Restoration in Bolivia
Richard's Mini Pickup
Richard's Corvair
Richard's Renault Dauphine

Selection of the Right Motor Oil for the Corvair
Selection of the right transmission oil for the corvair
How to polish and restore stainless and aluminum trim

Posted by: corvairne ()
Date: June 07, 2019 10:47AM

So I took back the Pennzoil Synchromesh and got Amsoil and a Harbor Freight gear oil pump and all is well. This thread could not have been more timely, thanks for the tips guys.

Dave Larsen
1965 Corsa vert 140/4 speed
Omaha NE
CORSA member

Posted by: Willt65 ()
Date: June 07, 2019 11:30AM

Is there any clarification on the Red Line MT90 75/90 GL-4 as to is it good in the corvair or not? I have just purchased 4 quarts and would like to put it in.
Thanks!

Will Teeter
Flintstone, MD
65 Corsa project
66 Monza parts car
49 Chevy 5 window project
08 Chevy 2500
13 Honda Odyssey
07 Honda 919
04 Honda Rancher
96 Honda XR400R

Date: June 07, 2019 12:54PM

Well its been in 3 or 4 Corvair race cars I know of for years for years and the Porsche and Honda guys have been using it since the 90s, When freshening up these transaxles ive seen no significant wear. Shifts great hot or cold. Its not cheap and its not at your local auto parts store. Real world experience tells me no long term adverse effect. Mike

Date: June 07, 2019 02:10PM

V8vair thanks!

Will Teeter
Flintstone, MD
65 Corsa project
66 Monza parts car
08 Chevy 2500
13 Honda Odyssey
07 Honda 919
04 Honda Rancher
96 Honda XR400R

Date: June 07, 2019 02:32PM

I put Redline MT 90 in a Corvair about 6 years ago. I never saw the car again and didn't hear any negative feedback. I thought about using it again since I still have some and would like to read more feedback.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Date: June 08, 2019 08:18AM

JimBrandberg Wrote:
> I put Redline MT 90 in a Corvair about 6 years ago. I never saw the car again and didn't hear any negative feedback. I thought about using it again since I still have some and would like to read more feedback.

Jim - years past Red Line stated online in the fine print that their MT-90 was NOT for use with hypoid gears. richard1 included this statement in his review of possible transaxle lubes.

NOW Red Line has several MT lubricants and SOME are rated GL-4. I recall their original MT-90 was NOT GL-4 rated.

Considering the cost of transaxle parts I'd error on the side of caution.

Date: June 08, 2019 07:38PM

Did redline change the formula of the MT-90 to rate it GL-4?

Will Teeter
Flintstone, MD
65 Corsa project
66 Monza parts car
08 Chevy 2500
13 Honda Odyssey
07 Honda 919
04 Honda Rancher
96 Honda XR400R

Date: June 09, 2019 08:18AM

With the high amount of calcium sulfonate, zinc, and phosphorous in the MT-90, They could actually be close to a GL-5 gear oil rating while doing no harm to brass since is has very low sulfur.

They are depending entirely on polar additives.

The market is getting more confusing as technology and knowledge increases. I've seen some brands claim GL-5 on the new formulations, which then leads to the question of how to determine what is good and bad other than to see if they list the the Nissan, Toyota, and other transmissions of the last decade. I don't include VW and Mitsubishi or GM in that list, as they require 75W-80, way too thin for us.

Restoration in Bolivia
Richard's Mini Pickup
Richard's Corvair

Date: June 09, 2019 01:08PM

richard1 Wrote:
> With the high amount of calcium sulfonate, zinc, and phosphorous in the MT-90, They could actually be close to a GL-5 gear oil rating while doing no harm to brass since is has very low sulfur.
>
> They are depending entirely on polar additives.
>
> The market is getting more confusing as technology and knowledge increases. I've seen some brands claim GL-5 on the new formulations, which then leads to the question of how to determine what is good and bad other than to see if they list the the Nissan, Toyota, and other transmissions of the last decade. I don't include VW and Mitsubishi or GM in that list, as they require 75W-80, way too thin for us.

Thanks richard - so to be clear ---- the old Red Line MT-90 is questionable for use in a Corvair transaxle, but the NEW Red Line MT-90 GL-4 is acceptable?

Date: June 09, 2019 04:33PM

I just put in the first of my new Penngrade 80/90 GL-4. It's got the green look like the Kendall I used in old Harleys. Sort of a stroll down Memory Lane for me.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Date: June 10, 2019 02:00PM

Thanks richard - so to be clear ---- the old Red Line MT-90 is questionable for use in a Corvair transaxle, but the NEW Red Line MT-90 GL-4 is acceptable?

I don't see any reason to doubt that it will be fine.

Restoration in Bolivia
Richard's Mini Pickup
Richard's Corvair

Date: June 10, 2019 04:26PM

Thanks Richard.

I went to the Red Line page for MT90 75w90 GL-4 and found the following warning about their MT oils NOT APPROVED FOR HYPOID GEARS as follows.

"Appropriate coefficient of friction for most manual transmission synchronizers (other's synthetic gear oils are often too slippery for proper synchro engagement)

Red Line offers lubricants to pinpoint nearly every transmission application
MT-LV, MTL, MT-85 & MT-90 are not for use in differentials with hypoid gears

Excellent gear and synchro protection, balanced slipperiness for easier shifting in cold climates
Excellent for high- and low-mile transmissions
Compatible with petroleums and other synthetics"

Maybe a call is needed to Red Line to clarify this statement as it is confusing and contradictory to their other claims.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2019 04:27PM by 66vairman.

Date: June 11, 2019 05:00AM

I'm a little confused about the Redline MT-90 discussion. Does it have a new formula? Is it good for us? Was it previously bad for us? Good for the transmission but bad for the differential? Thanks in advance for taking the time to straighten it out.

I'd rather use Redline than Amsoil if it's up to the task.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Date: June 12, 2019 06:21PM

I had good performance out of this one too. Another one that Richard doesn't like but Ive had good luck with in the Crown. [www.redlineoil.com]

Date: June 13, 2019 05:23AM

Link above is to a 75W90NS GL-5 so now I'm more confused than ever about Redline.

Let me see if I can clarify what the questions are.

MT90 is good for the transmission but may not be good for the differential? Apparently text in Redline contradicts itself or is vague.

75W90NS GL-5 is good for the differential but GL-5 may not be good for the brass parts in the transmission?

MT90 may have changed formulations with the old stuff not good and the new stuff good?

I hate to keep flogging the same old horse but I'm just not clear in my mind.

Amsoil seems to be clear in their text about their Manual Transmission & Transaxle Gear Lube 75W90 GL-4 being the good stuff. The Amsoil secret society member dealer thing sort of sticks in my craw though.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.