Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Brake pedal question
Posted by: Ron62 ()
Date: March 18, 2019 04:23AM

The brake pedal travels about 3 inches before a solid brake can be felt. Definitely no air in the system. Its not squishy feeling and pumping the pedal makes no difference. Car is not drive able yet so I cant road test the brakes.
Can anyone tell me what the pedal free play should be? Also, is there a way to tell if the Master Cylinder is original ?

Thanks
Ron

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Brake pedal question
Posted by: smithleej ()
Date: March 18, 2019 04:52AM

Not sure on the pedal free play, but your situation usually means a simple brake adjustment is needed.

Lee Smith
Buchanan, VA
1962 Rampside

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: March 18, 2019 05:10AM

The OEM master cylinder will have a part number in the casting at the bottom. How the top cover installs is also another way to tell, but will require a picture and the year of the car to know for certain. Top cover attachment and casting number are both needed for positive identification.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodstock CT... Located on the Connecticut / Massachusetts border, approximately 6 miles from the center of Southbridge MA. About 45 minutes from Hartford CT. 1 1/2 hours West of Boston MA. Woodstock CT to Los Angeles CA 2,937.1 miles. 1 Mile as the crow flies to Big Bird's nest.

Date: March 18, 2019 01:57PM

Ill take a look tonight an see if I can find the part number.

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: March 18, 2019 02:25PM

Ron... you have a Mater Cylinder for Metallics.... smaller bore 7/8" instead of
1".

The pedal will go further...unless you tighten the shoe adjustments

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: March 18, 2019 02:35PM

'60-'61, '62-'64 and '65-'69 are different. My recent experience is that LMs have a lot more travel than EMs I guess because of the different pedal ratio.

Joel
Northlake, TX
4 Ultravans, Lost count at 100 Corvairs...

Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: March 18, 2019 02:51PM

Depending on the year.. manual brake shoe adjustment or automatic adjustment.
I always check the shoe to drum clearance.
Manual may need adjusting.
Automatic, one or more star adjuster may be stuck.
This usually causes one wheel to lock early, however I have seen more than one adjuster on a same car stuck and the brakes seemed to work evenly but were out of adjustment.

Corventure Dave

Posted by: RexJohnson ()
Date: March 18, 2019 02:58PM

If I remember correctly Ron has a '67 and if that is right there is no 7/8" bore available for the dual M/C. The pedal ratio changed from the '65-'66 to the '67-'69 with the later having more travel with less effort. The push rod attaches closer to the pivit on the later. 3" does sound like a lot of travel.

RJ tools
Salem,Oregon

Date: March 18, 2019 06:16PM

The brakes, springs, shoes and lines are all new in the rear. Front brakes appear to be working correctly by have to take a closer look. Ill investigate further and post the results.

Posted by: TerribleTed ()
Date: March 18, 2019 06:31PM

Freeplay should be minimal...less than 1/4" before master cylinder starts to move. Have you done a manual adjustment of the brakes? brakes must be manually adjusted until there is a frim drag at each. All of this is in your GM Shop manual. If you do not have one you need it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Avid Corvair hobbiest since 1984.
I have personally performed ground up restoration on over 20 Corvairs.
I currently work full time at restoring and repairing Corvairs.
Located in the Atlanta Georgia area.
[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: March 18, 2019 06:41PM

Is the actuator rod from the pedal's arm have just a little slop?

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.