Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Help with 61 EM Turn Signal Mechanicals
Posted by: Johnnya101 ()
Date: March 16, 2019 01:12PM

It's FINALLY warming up in NH, and now the garage isn't freezing all the time. I've finally removed the steering wheel.

Before removing, the turn signal would almost crunch into the down/left position. I don't believe it would cancel either. With the wheel now off I do not see any obvious broken parts... So I assume some stuff is either bent, and or the springs need to be replaced (very squishy feeling).

Here is the whole thing. I do not see anything broken surprisingly. I'm thinking it just needs a refresher of new springs and a new roller. What do you folks recommend me to do?

Back of steering wheel

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2019 08:11PM by MattNall.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Help with 61 EM Turn Signal Mechanicals
Date: March 16, 2019 01:29PM

Just quickly reassembled it. Works great now... Hmmm. All I can think of is someone mashed the turn lever a little too hard and moved some stuff out of place. Canceling works too now (it didn't before).

But still, is it recommended to replace any springs, or just rebend the originals if needed?

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: March 16, 2019 02:50PM

If it works correctly, then leave it alone. Don't mess with success!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodstock CT... Located on the Connecticut / Massachusetts border, approximately 6 miles from the center of Southbridge MA. About 45 minutes from Hartford CT. 1 1/2 hours West of Boston MA. Woodstock CT to Los Angeles CA 2,937.1 miles. 1 Mile as the crow flies to Big Bird's nest.

Date: March 16, 2019 03:11PM

Will do! Thanks for the input. Cannot believe nothing is broken...

Will probably install the steering wheel and connect the switch and get the turn signals working tomorrow.

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: March 16, 2019 03:15PM

Last one I did the aluminum ring was bent a little and the roller could jump off the spring. It wasn't obvious and I ended up putting it back together. It worked for a while and then died again.
It also had the little washer under the pivot screw missing so I had to make one so I could tighten the screw without binding the ring.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 114 Corvairs and counting...

Date: March 16, 2019 05:45PM

This one actually seems to be bent outward a little. It is barely just good enough. So these are, in fact, aluminum, so safe to bend?

Date: March 16, 2019 06:40PM

I don't know how safe but I managed to straighten mine. Don't overdo it.

Joel
Northlake, TX

Date: March 16, 2019 07:48PM

I wont. Just needs to be bent a smidgen.

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: March 17, 2019 03:41PM

A smidge is enough, a smidgen is too much.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodstock CT... Located on the Connecticut / Massachusetts border, approximately 6 miles from the center of Southbridge MA. About 45 minutes from Hartford CT. 1 1/2 hours West of Boston MA. Woodstock CT to Los Angeles CA 2,937.1 miles. 1 Mile as the crow flies to Big Bird's nest.

Posted by: Ratt643 ()
Date: March 18, 2019 05:55AM

The rings are pot metal. I straightened one and have broken a couple. I usually order a used one to replace the broken ones. Fixed a couple of cars this way.

1964 Monza Coupe
1965 Corsa 140
1967 Monza Coupe

Maryville, TN
U.S. 129 The"Tail Of The Dragon"

Posted by: Paulsgt ()
Date: May 21, 2019 07:00PM

I'll hijack this thread and see if anyone can shed some light on my problem. Mine is a 62 Monza and trouble sounds similar to the problem stated here but disassembly and reassembly did not help the problem. When you push down on the signal stalk there is no click and no return. When you lift up on the signal stalk, it clicks nicely and returns when the wheel is turned back. I don't see any apparent problems other than there seems to be quite a bit of old hardened grease in the housing. It may be affecting the movement of the pivot that is attached to the control wire down to the actual switch. Any thoughts/suggestions???

Thanks!

Enjoy the Corvair

Paul Sergeant
CORSA Central Division Director / CORSA Treasurer
Lee's Summit, MO
CORSA since 1975
Member – HACOA, Corvair Minnesota, CORSA, Little Indians, POCI

Help with 64 EM Turn Signal Mechanicals
Posted by: Corvairscott ()
Date: June 01, 2019 02:11PM

My 64 won't cancel turn signal after a turn. Also feels like there is no middle to cancel signal. No clicks turning turn signal arm, it's sloppy.

Haven't taken it apart yet. Sound like the return spring?

Scott Szalkowski

San Diego, CA

Corvairscott@aol.com

I never met a Corvair I didn't like.....12 corvairs!

1961 Rampside, 2 1961 Lakewoods
1962 Monza (Canadian) 1962 Rampside Deluxe
1962 or 63 Spyder, 1962 coupe, 1964 convertible,
1965 Monza w AC, 1965 Corsa, 1965 MonzAvenger BSS
(Bud Short Special)

Oh yah...196? Covair van...also a corvair dune buggy!

Date: June 01, 2019 03:02PM

Detent spring may have jumped out of place. It can do that if the pot metal ring is bent or has come loose.

Joel
Northlake, TX

Date: June 01, 2019 05:52PM

Sounds like my issue (or very similar). Remove the wheel and see what's up. Make sure to remove the circular pot metal plate and verify it is straight and flat. A lot get warped. Mine was slightly. If it's a slight bend you can hammer it back.

Date: June 01, 2019 08:51PM

If you can't tighten the screw without binding it up you are missing the washer on the back side of the pot metal part.

Joel
Northlake, TX

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.