Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OpGI
Posted by: stitch ()
Date: March 14, 2019 05:28PM

I'm a Clarks guy. I needed a cuppla gaskets for oil filter adapter. (C975 & C976)
$7.40 total. Shipping, if I remember, was 6 something. Called Clarks,
instead of continuing to on-line ordering. Told them what I needed, asked about shipping and was told...
"We'll just drop them in an envelope and charge you postage"...Cost me all of 47 cents. It's the 'Human touch' that matters! (Along with pretty good prices!) thumbs up smileys with beer

"If you can't fix it with a Hammer, you have an Electrical problem."
Stitch...
Schertz, Texas.
(Smallish town/burg 17 mi. NE of San Antonio)

'Ms Penny'
!967.. 4th body
8th off the line

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2019 05:29PM by stitch.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: 65Ragtop ()
Date: March 14, 2019 06:17PM

Hey Ted, You said that you just got the weather strip for the trunk from Clarks. Could you take a picture of it, especially a cross section shot. It may sound funny but I would actually like to know if the Clark part is different from the SoffSeal part, loyalties aside. I'll get a picture too and we can compare. The soffseal part looks different from the photo in the Clarks catalog but who knows when that was taken. I have heard that the Clarks seal works fine but does not fit as well as it might. I could be wrong. Maybe they have changed vendors. i'd also like to know if its an off shore piece. Nothing against that but I at least try for USA made products as a first choice. I know it's hard. For the betterment of the hobby lets see if we can find out if there is a difference. I have no dog in this fight, I just want to know what works best and where I can get it. May the best trunk weatherstrip win. Fair?

Mike Schantel
1965 Corsa 140
Corsa Member
Arizona

Posted by: TerribleTed ()
Date: March 14, 2019 06:39PM

No, no fight at all. I just mentioned the availability as many people can not seem to find things in Clark's catalog (their online blows chunks). This weatherstrip seems to be pretty exact contours as NOS. The only difference I can see is that the outside does not have a harder skin like the NOS weatherstrip. Clark's fuzzies are a little thinner than the original Gm part, but, I have never seen any non NOS Corvair fuzzie that is not a little to a lot thinner than NOS

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Avid Corvair hobbiest since 1984.
I have personally performed ground up restoration on over 20 Corvairs.
I currently work full time at restoring and repairing Corvairs.
Located in the Atlanta Georgia area.
[www.facebook.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2019 06:40PM by TerribleTed.

Attachments:

Posted by: Melb-Mike ()
Date: March 14, 2019 06:40PM

I’ve purchased from OPGI integrates past for my 67 GTO. Results are mixed. Some of the parts were OK, some were generic junk. I wasn’t impressed. For me, Ames and Yearone were better suppliers.

I recently added a 70 Chevelle so they’re a possible supplier for my needs. I compare quality and price, and so far Ecklers and NPD are much better. I requested a catalog for Corvairs about 6 months ago and haven’t received anything. I’m not impressed.

64 Greenbrier
64 Spyder (needs restoration)
65 Corsa 140, restored
66 Corsa turbo, restoring now
66 Corsa 140 "RR" code coupe fully restored
67 Pontiac GTO restored
69 Corvette 427 convertible restored
2015 Porsche Panamera S
2015 Corvette Z06
1965 AC Cobra (Factory Five)

Date: March 14, 2019 06:44PM

Melb-Mike Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I’ve purchased from OPGI integrates past for my
> 67 GTO. Results are mixed. Some of the parts
> were OK, some were generic junk. I wasn’t
> impressed. For me, Ames and Yearone were better
> suppliers.
>
> I recently added a 70 Chevelle so they’re a
> possible supplier for my needs. I compare quality
> and price, and so far Ecklers and NPD are much
> better. I requested a catalog for Corvairs about
> 6 months ago and haven’t received anything.
> I’m not impressed.

I have also gotten plenty of mediocre junk from Year One over the years as well. Most times when I have encountered mediocrity with them the part was the only one being produced at the time.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[www.facebook.com]

Date: March 14, 2019 09:40PM

Thanks Ted! It would seem that there are significant differences between the two trunk weather strips. I can attest to the Soffseal fit and it is near perfect. The Clarks unit looks a bit chunky as I have been hearing. It is what it is. I think the Soffseal is the better weatherstrip in this particular case. Chose your vendor....California Corvairs, OPGI, Direct from Soffseal or probably a thousand others as well. Clarks is great but in this case soffseal is better. They should start stocking it at least as an option in my opinion.

Mike Schantel
1965 Corsa 140
Corsa Member
Arizona

Attachments:

Date: March 14, 2019 09:44PM

More pics. Thanks again Ted. Hope you don't mind me copying your pics, just wanted to get them next to each other for the comparison.

Mike Schantel
1965 Corsa 140
Corsa Member
Arizona

Attachments:

Date: March 15, 2019 07:40AM

It is certainly different. The profile may work better (not be as tight when initially installed). I may have to try one next time I need one to see how it works out.

One part the OPGI lists that I have thought about trying is early model windshield gaskets. They claim to have exactly correct shaping in the lower corners (Clark's require some minor stainless trim modification to fit well). Next EM I need one of these for I will try OPGI's part just to see.

[www.facebook.com]

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.