Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OpGI
Posted by: Layton Curtis ()
Date: March 13, 2019 07:34AM

Has anybody here bought from OPGI? Their prices seem to be a little high.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: OpGI
Posted by: Bruins_Fan ()
Date: March 13, 2019 07:43AM

I haven't yet. I recently received their Corvair catalog. I only took a quick look, but yeah some prices did seem a little high, IMO.

1966 Monza Convertible 110 PG
North Shore, MA

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: March 13, 2019 07:45AM

Previous discussions

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: Alpo ()
Date: March 13, 2019 08:47AM

I never got my catalog. I tried a second time still no luck.

Posted by: Caraholic4life ()
Date: March 13, 2019 12:51PM

I requested a catalog back when they announced it and to this day have not seen it. I won't request another although I have looked at their online version a time or two.
To answer your question regarding prices....YES they seem to be considerably higher than other vendors for items that may well originate from the same sources.
It is nice to know however that they offer a whole lot of useless crap for our vehicles that GM never saw a need for.
One would think that if a company were putting out a catalog for a specific vehicle, they might make an effort to use photo's of parts for that vehicle but that is just my opinion.confused smiley

1962 95 F.C. Van
1965 Monza Coupe
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Posted by: TerribleTed ()
Date: March 13, 2019 02:11PM

I got a catalog from them quite a while back. I looked through it and cross compared prices on actual Corvair parts (many items are not actually Corvair parts in the catalog). I found that in almost all cases the parts I compared were priced higher than Clark's often by near double.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Avid Corvair hobbiest since 1984.
I have personally performed ground up restoration on over 20 Corvairs.
I currently work full time at restoring and repairing Corvairs.
Located in the Atlanta Georgia area.
[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: Mojan_n ()
Date: March 13, 2019 05:41PM

I requested catalog but never received it... in general price is high.

Posted by: john.jackson ()
Date: March 13, 2019 05:54PM

My take on OPGI, FWI

My take on OPGI for what it may be worth.

First, they recognized Corvairs as a viable market. We corvair fans have long struggled for any kind of collector car recognition.

Second, I know they spent a lot of time/money researching and cross referencing potential Corvair parts. Many Corvair parts interchange with Chevelles and Chevy II's. Others don't.

Third, a number of old suppliers were tracked down to see if tooling was still available. Some tooling was, some tooling not. Understand that some upholstry tooling will be reproduced.

"Think" OPGI is more into sale discount and promotions than "most" vendors we are used to. Take that as just my observation.

OPGI has the financial strength (because of it's other GM business) to slowly build it's Corvair business.

My better half's son has a 64 Chevelle and has been dealing with OPGI for at least 10 years. He reports very good customer service.

All that said - I have been around Corvairs a LONG time - 50 years in May.

Clark's has been my go to supplier since they started. Hard to beat their depth of parts supplies and commitment to the Corvair hobby. For that, I am willing to spend more money on the same part simply to keep a great supplier in business.

Does that mean Clark's gets all my business? No, California Corvair and Corvair Underground also get part of my business.

Also understand that OPGI is slowly adding more Corvair parts on line as tooling becomes available.

Bottom line, let's not be so negative about OPGI. They are expanding the Corvair Universe to a very different group that knows nothing about CORSA.

Posted by: 65CrownV8 ()
Date: March 13, 2019 07:12PM

OPGI doesn't send catalogs to addresses they can't confirm. That's the response I got when I inquired about where my catalog was. They sent me a screen grab with my address in some sort of database stating that the address couldn't be found. Don't know what database they were using, but it's obvously flawed. I'm actually a past customer, having bought some convertible clamps from the in the past. Told them they obviously didn't need my business.

George Jones - East Orlando, FL
'65 Monza V8 Convertible - 355/4-spd Posi - TT015
'66 Monza Coupe - 95/PG
'67 Monza Coupe 140/4-spd/Posi, A/C
COrvaiR Society of America (CORSA), Central Florida Corvair Club, Tidewater Corvair Club, V8 Registry

Posted by: solo2r ()
Date: March 13, 2019 07:39PM

I requested a Corvair Catalog many months ago. Although I have received their other Catalogs regularly for years even just yesterday, still no Corvair!

Posted by: Mojan_n ()
Date: March 13, 2019 08:01PM

I called them a month ago customer service asked my address to send catalog. I am still waiting.

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: March 13, 2019 09:39PM

I was a late comer to ordering an OPGI catalog.
I gave them my work address, and had it in a few days!
Go figure.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
'66 Monza Coupe - 4spd, 140 Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - PG, 140 Daily driver beater
'67 A/C Moredoor Monza - 140 4-spd. driver

Posted by: 65Ragtop ()
Date: March 14, 2019 07:21AM

I got the catalog last year. Prices did seem high. To answer your question, though.....I did order from them in December. I took advantage of their 20% off Holiday promotion with free shipping on orders over $200. The promotional discount with the free shipping made the pricing competitive, but just barely. The service was excellent and the products were of a quality nature. I did get some stuff not usually available from our regular vendors (I think) such as the LM repo GM trunk weather stripping and repo GM window fuzzies. These items seemed to be a better option on paper but I have not installed any of it yet as I am prepping to paint the car first. We'll see.

Mike Schantel
1965 Corsa 140
Corsa Member
Arizona

Date: March 14, 2019 07:57AM

Clark's has both the weatherstrip and the fuzzies The trunk weatherstrip is P/N C805R. Just bought one last week.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[www.facebook.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2019 07:58AM by TerribleTed.

Posted by: MtnVairMike ()
Date: March 14, 2019 08:10AM

I'll say again. I’m a Clark’s fan as well however after looking over my OPGI catalog with a fresh set of eyes I got to give them credit they are making an effort. Really surprised to see the exhaust manifolds as new items.
Better then losing vendors like some models face these days.

I got nothing to base this on but when an organization the scale of OPGI gets involved in Corvairs I see it as a sign the cars popularity is rising and there’s hope for the marque to survive.

Mike

1966 Monza Convertible, 140HP-4 speed, Ermine White

Others in the menagerie...
72 Corvette Stingray, 58K miles, owned since 86
72 MGB, 112K miles, bought from original owner in 09
78 Chevy pickup, 124K miles, bought new in 78
93 Corvette, LT1/6spd, 210K miles, daily driver since 96

Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: March 14, 2019 02:10PM

Last year at the Toss in Palm Springs, I had a conversation with Cathy and Mark from Clarks. They said they see no serious competition from POG, as long as OPG keeps buying a lot of inventory from them...Clarks.
So it looks like there is your price mark up in OPG, even with possible volume part purchases.

I see OPG as expanding the Corvair hobby to people who are not in our circle of connections, but likely will be in the future. It's all positive.

Corventure Dave

Posted by: Caraholic4life ()
Date: March 14, 2019 02:22PM

MtnVairMike Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'll say again. I’m a Clark’s fan as well
> however after looking over my OPGI catalog with a
> fresh set of eyes I got to give them credit they
> are making an effort. Really surprised to see the
> exhaust manifolds as new items.

Disclaimer: Please be aware that much of what I am posting, is with my "tongue firmly placed against the inside of my cheek" and not to be taken as a serious rant or attack on any vendor.smiling bouncing smiley

I sincerely do appreciate that OPGI has realized there may be room in the market for them to expand their coverage to include the Corvair.

I however am inclined to wonder why after going to all the trouble to research, cross reference, and verify parts for our vehicles are correct, they overlooked including accurate illustrations in their selection menu.
In this case the exhaust icon appears to be headers for a V8 and once it is selected, the exhaust manifold icon appears to be once again for a V8 application.
Fortunately for us, once the exhaust manifold icon is selected, there is actually an illustration that appears to be more accurate for our vehicles.

Just for the fun of it, I looked up exhaust manifolds for a 1968 Corvair but the illustration appears the same as one for a 1965 Corvair.
I was comforted to read in their description "These cast-iron manifolds are precisely reproduced to factory specifications and ready for installation." and furthermore it went on to assure us under the Notes: "Authentic reproduction of the original GM product."
This makes me confident that if I were to order a correct stock exhaust manifold for my 1968 Smog Equipped Corvair, that the manifold I am sent will bolt up to all the A.I.R. Injection tubing just like when it was new. grinning smiley

Other vendors that offer reproduction exhaust manifolds don't seem to offer an Authentic Reproduction Smog style exhaust manifold. I am sure happy eye rolling smiley to see that OPGI appears to fill that void. Don't take my word for this, I am simply coming to this idiotic conclusion after looking it up on the OPGI website. Maybe I somehow misunderstood their assurances of Authentic Reproduction of the original GM part?

Now, on a more serious note:
Here is a good example of the difference in pricing.

Exhaust manifolds from OPGI for any 1961-1969, have a price of only $129.99 which reflects a "Savings" of $12.96
The illustration shows studs installed but there is no mention either way if they are included or not. [www.opgi.com]

Exhaust manifolds from Clark's have a price of:
$84.45 for the non 140 short manifold with no studs, or $107.90 with stainless studs, nuts and exhaust packings.
$89.10 for the non 140 long manifold with no studs, or $112.15 with stainless studs, nuts and exhaust packings.
$87.45 for the 140 short manifold with no studs, or $112.20 with stainless studs, nuts and exhaust packings.
$90.65 for the 140 long manifold with no studs, or $114.90 with stainless studs, nuts and exhaust packings.
[www.corvair.com]

Exhaust manifolds do not appear in the California Corvair's online catalog. [californiacorvairparts.com]

P.S.
Now before anyone starts to attack me here, keep in mind that I was the one who initially posted the OPGI Catalog last year. [corvaircenter.com]
I did this with the genuine hope that this would be a good thing and offered my full support. I to this day still appreciate they are offering this catalog. I only wish they would appear to be more interested in the hobby and accuracy of their publication. Unfortunately I have not yet seen this trend.

1962 95 F.C. Van
1965 Monza Coupe
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2019 02:28PM by Caraholic4life.

Posted by: 19sixty5 ()
Date: March 14, 2019 04:42PM

I've never been disappointed with anything from them, I have made numerous purchases from them for my GTO, 442, El Camino and projects. I do spread my purchases around through numerous vendors, for these cars there are many, many sources.
In my opinion, they are higher priced than others, and since I live in Alabama, shipping time and costs are a little higher. I did get their catalog, nice to see it in color, although the Clark's catalog certainly has a charm of it's own!
In a nutshell, good, consistent quality, good customer service, just a little more expensive than others, but they occasionally have decent sales.

65 Crown Hardtop

Huntsville, AL

Posted by: 65Ragtop ()
Date: March 14, 2019 04:56PM

All good stuff and as always the buyer needs to do his homework in order to make his best deal at the time for the product he wants. Lots of things go into that such as: Is it made in the USA? (important to many and some will actually pay for it!) Quality to price ratio? (is it really cheaper?) Shipping (Add it in, it's part of the actual price.), Loyalty (If it is earned it should be respected, but not blindly. Things change and sometimes people do too,eh....), and the list goes on. This thread and the forums should be considered a form of market research by all the vendors.

Case in point: Ted (Hi Ted!) mentioned that the weather stripping for the trunk was available from Clark's. This is true. All I know about their weather stripping for this app was gleaned from the forums and others who have used it. I was happy to have an alternative available to try. Turns out the weather stripping I got from OPGI was from SoffSeal, a quality USA made product,fairly priced that I determined actually fits quite well after a dry install. After reading this thread I looked around and noticed that California Corvair's offers the SoffSeal weather stripping at a competitive price as well. You can also get it direct from SoffSeal though I noticed a lot of their Corvair stuff is currently out of stock. I appreciate the quality of the fuzzies that I got too, they seem different from what others are offering. Very nice. Choice is good.

Clark's has earned my respect and I deal with them often. I look forward to; and have no problem with, having other vendors do the same. It's healthy.

Mike Schantel
1965 Corsa 140
Corsa Member
Arizona

Date: March 14, 2019 05:23PM

Clark's does not include manufacturers packaging on most products. I do know that in the past at least many of the weatherstrip item they sell are sourced from Soffseal or Metro Molded. Is the trunk strip you received different from Clark's part? If so in what way? Clark's fuzzies are also very nice. I have not seen the OPGI part. How is it different?

You stated above that these were not available from Corvair vendors. I was just mentioning that they actually are.

[www.facebook.com]

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.