Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Mechanical fuel pump
Posted by: 4carbcorvair ()
Date: March 12, 2019 03:25PM

Went to start the Monza, no go. No fuel. I installed and old original to get it going only to have this one leak like a sieve. I know Clarks had a bad run of pumps, I was honored by purchasing a couple. Are Clarks newer pumps better? Any other recommendations?? If quality isn't good, I'll go electric, been running the Airtex in my Corsa for 13 years now. smiling smiley

--------------------------------
Ronnie
Southern Maine.
www.dirigocorvairs.net
66 Corsa Convertible, 140, 4sp.
65 Monza Convertible, 110, PG.

It doesn't leak, it's marking it's territory.

A mirror is a reflection of the miles travelled.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Mechanical fuel pump
Posted by: Brizo ()
Date: March 12, 2019 05:10PM

They say the pumps now are better, but you may be just as well to get a pump through O'Riely or NAPA. The main problem the last year or so seems to be the soft zink alloy base on the new pumps warps from screw tension, causing internal leakage which causes it to become weak or stop pumping. A good fix it to replace a warped base with an original A/C pump aluminum base - if you can find one.

Dan Brizendine,
'64 8door Greenbrier 140 PG. "In beautiful Wanamaker Indiana...with one stop light and 5 pizza shops"

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: March 13, 2019 04:32AM

I have 9 of the bases and springs I won't be using. Anyone wanting to buy one can PM me. I will be taking the original bases and springs to Helen with my sale package.

Al Lane
Ellabell, GA 31308

1966 Monza Coupe, 110 hp, 4 Spd
1966 Monza More Door 110 hp, PG
1968 Camaro SS Coupe 350 CI 295+ hp PG
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe, 6 dr, 80 hp car engine, PG
1947 Farmall A tractor 15 hp

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: March 13, 2019 04:50AM

Last year at O'Reillys I found they had gone from $44 to $92. I had been buying them and taking them apart to reduce the pressure but won't do it for that kind of money.
Clarks pump seems to have less pressure in the $65 neighborhood but if they have a tendency to warp I'd rather not.

I've been installing Airtex E8016S with a toggle switch and inertia switch for safety.

I like to think I fought the good fight with the mechanical pumps but I'm tired.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: March 13, 2019 04:50AM

Did you tighten the screws? There used to be a paper in with the old pump that stated the screws were not tightened all the way and needed to be tightened before use.

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: March 13, 2019 05:02AM

I am using the eBay Globe electric pump $12 clones. I have a relay to control it the inertia switch, the Chevy Vega low oil pressure switch and an indicator light when power is supplied to the pump. One wire from fuse box IGN fuse to the engine compartment with a 1 amp fuse protecting the relay circuit. And one wire from pump to relay in engine compartment.

It will shut down in an accident or if engine has low oil pressure.

I also carry a jumper wire to jumper power wire to pump power wire, if any problem occurs with the circuit.

I will figure out a way to add a pressure switch on the engine line, so I can see when pressure is lost. I will tie it into the pump power wire so it will not illuminate unless pump is powered and pressure is in the line.

Al Lane
Ellabell, GA 31308

1966 Monza Coupe, 110 hp, 4 Spd
1966 Monza More Door 110 hp, PG
1968 Camaro SS Coupe 350 CI 295+ hp PG
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe, 6 dr, 80 hp car engine, PG
1947 Farmall A tractor 15 hp

Posted by: v8vair ()
Date: March 13, 2019 06:14AM

There is a Ebay seller than has NOS A/C pumps. Ive had no problems with them,Ones been in Ole Blue for the last 4 years, My 68 had one and I assume still does,both everyday drivers and my 64 Spyder is getting one. Mike

Posted by: 2ragtops ()
Date: March 13, 2019 06:46AM

Rock Auto has Airtex for 44 and Carter for 74.

My last pump was from them, [the Airtex] and it has been on for 2 years now with no issues, but I did change to an original spring.

Bob Bauer

Show-Me Corvairs

1966 Monza Convert 140 P/G with A/C, plastic wheel with tele-column am-fm posi-traction
1966 Corsa Convert 180 wood wheel tele-column am-fm sport steering posi-traction
1965 Corsa Coupe Crown V8 temporarily red lined for repair
House Springs, Missouri

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: March 13, 2019 09:24AM

I've been buying Airtex on Ebay from JC Whitney for about $44.
I won't take a chance on a cheaper clone. The extra $25 doesn't seem like much in the midst of a failure.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: 4carbcorvair ()
Date: March 16, 2019 12:23PM

Thanks everyone! Ordered an Airtex after doing some reading and price checking. The car had a newer AC Delco pump in it. I installed the original GM pump and that sprayed gas all over the engine even after tightening the screws. Knowing the Airtex in my Corsa is 13ish years old and still pumping, I decided to go to electric in the Monza. $39.99 at Summit Racing.

--------------------------------
Ronnie
Southern Maine.
www.dirigocorvairs.net
66 Corsa Convertible, 140, 4sp.
65 Monza Convertible, 110, PG.

It doesn't leak, it's marking it's territory.

A mirror is a reflection of the miles travelled.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.