Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Frank Gardner's Chevrolet Corvair, 1976
Posted by: playerpage ()
Date: March 12, 2019 01:37PM

Did you know this car existed once? Because I sure didn't.

Here's a link to one of the good articles on it's history--The only thing this one doesn't mention, that others do, is that Gardner's Corvair was owned by John Player Racing (a cigarette company, apparently) and powered by an F5000 engine.

Frank Garner's Chevy Corvair

Someone on Youtube has also posted an old Super8 of it in action. There are some shots of it 39 seconds in, and then starting at time stamp 10:30 you can see it dominate the race track!

<br /><br /><br /><br /><iframe width="560" height="315" src="[www.youtube.com]; frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe><br /><br />

Oh heck, here are some more links:

[primotipo.com]
[www.auslot.com]
[vs-design.tumblr.com]

<b> Eric C. Player
Porterville, CA
<i>- National Member, CORSA
- Member: Central Coast CORSA, South Coast CORSA, and San Joaquin Valley Corvair Club</i>
THEN: 1967 Monza 110 Canary Yellow/1966 Corsa 180 Turbo, Red/
1965 Monza 110 Purple/1967 Monza 140 Red/1966 500 110 Black/1965 Monza 110 Camaro Yellow
NOW: 1966 Corsa 180 Turbo Coupe Blue. Blue/Beige interior.
<br><a href="[static.wixstatic.com] src="[static.wixstatic.com] href="[static.wixstatic.com] src="[static.wixstatic.com];
<br><font=+2><i>"He cautioned me not to take notes. It would not have helped if I had, as he would start a paragraph with, 'It is therefore obvious. . .' and go on from there to matters which may have been obvious to him and God but to no one else." -- Daniel B. Davis</font></i></b>

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2019 01:42PM by playerpage.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Frank Gardner's Chevrolet Corvair, 1976
Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: March 12, 2019 02:13PM

From what I have heard in the past the Player car won so much they forced it to start last...and it still won!!!

Attachments:

Date: March 12, 2019 02:35PM

The articles I've read have also said that after three years undefeated, the Australian racing community changed the rules to disqualify it and most other rear-engine cars.

<b> Eric C. Player
Porterville, CA
- Member: Central Coast CORSA, South Coast CORSA, and San Joaquin Valley Corvair Club</i>
1965 Monza 110 Purple/1967 Monza 140 Red/1966 500 110 Black/1965 Monza 110 Camaro Yellow
<br><a href="[static.wixstatic.com] src="[static.wixstatic.com] href="[static.wixstatic.com] src="[static.wixstatic.com];
<br><font=+2><i>"He cautioned me not to take notes. It would not have helped if I had, as he would start a paragraph with, 'It is therefore obvious. . .' and go on from there to matters which may have been obvious to him and God but to no one else." -- Daniel B. Davis</font></i></b>

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2019 02:36PM by playerpage.

Posted by: solo2r ()
Date: March 12, 2019 04:41PM

Yup, Have had these mags for many years!

Attachments:

Posted by: Brizo ()
Date: March 12, 2019 04:55PM

It was interesting - until I found out it didn't have a Corvair engine.

Dan Brizendine,
'64 8door Greenbrier 140 PG. "In beautiful Wanamaker Indiana...with one stop light and 5 pizza shops"

Date: March 12, 2019 05:48PM

Maybe not, Dan--but it was still in the back! How many of us are driving ABSOLUTELY the same engine our cars came with? If the fuel pump is different, it still isn't technically a Corvair engine!

And my interest started with the name on the front, and grew from there.

Solo2r--That's so neat! Have you ever scanned those in? Or is there any chance other copies exist?

<b> Eric C. Player
Porterville, CA

Posted by: DOUG WARD ()
Date: March 12, 2019 06:28PM

At first I thought the film was shown backwards.( right hand drive) Then I realized that the words etc. on the car were not reversed. Was there ever a right hand corvair built for the Aussie / NZ market ?What was the engine in this car ? I don't know what a S5000 engine is. Doug Ward

Posted by: v8vair ()
Date: March 12, 2019 06:37PM

The Car was Body only, It was built off a Lola T332 Formula 5000. The Rules stated that you could swap engine,6 for an 8 etc. The rules also stated you could only move the engine back so far from the original location but said nothing about moving it forward.Hence the Mid Engine. Tube chassis were allowed. What got the car in the end was a 10 year rule from last year of production. From what my Buddy told me from Down Under ( his Father in law was a Stewart in the Australian super Car Series) the cars were taken apart for there parts and that's why none of the cars exist today. They started Racing this car about the same time we were Running the Big Block Buick V8 Mid Engine Corvair in SCCA. Ours was very Crude compared to the JPS car. Mike

Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: March 12, 2019 06:37PM

There were never any right hand drive Corvairs built by the factory.

Only a couple conversions done by private owners...the best one below.

Attachments:

Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: March 13, 2019 12:16AM

The hardest part must have been building the FM Stereo unit with the knobs switched around. <grin>

Seth Emerson

Check my new Performance Corvair Web site [www.perfvair.com]

Posted by: Tom Z ()
Date: March 13, 2019 08:42AM

I remember reading an ad for it in the Communique,asked a mere $3,000 with spares..try to get a Lola or a DG300 (there's your 5-speed) today for only that!

Tom Z,,Rochester NY

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: March 13, 2019 09:18AM

A few of the posts above mention rear engine but it was mid-engine V-8. About the only thing Corvair about it was the body.
A glitch in the rules allowed a turn around from rear engine as long as the the drive was centered in the same place. I'm probably stating it wrong but that's the gist of it.
I enjoyed watching Australian V-8 Supercar racing on the Speed channel a few years ago, pretty agressive stuff. Sort of where the most recent GTO came from. I miss the Speed channel.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Date: March 13, 2019 09:56AM

Yeah I suppose it's technically a mid-engine, I think of it as a rear engine because the rules were that you had to keep it in the same general area in reference to the driver. So the rear engine cars could be shifted closer to the driver but not completely in the middle, and there were some cars according to the stuff I read that pushed the engine further up closer to the driver from the front. So that's the distinction I was making. Also the real problem the competitors had with it was that the fact that the engine was so far back gave it a real advantage, in terms of how stable it was. The articles I listed say most of that. Anyway that's my thinking.

<b> Eric C. Player
Porterville, CA

Posted by: eastfizz ()
Date: March 13, 2019 12:52PM

There was a similar car built in the UK by Ian Richardson and later sold to a Martin Dilks, who refurbished it and repainted it white. The bodywork on the Ian Richardson car was a little more original looking with large fender flairs. The following is a brief description of the car I found some time ago through a Google search (don't recall the source). This car was also referenced in a prior Corvaircenter thread:

"Chevrolet Corvair
Engine: Chevrolet 7600cc 
Configuration: mid-engine 
Driver: Ian Richardson 
Class: Special Saloons over 2500cc and Super Saloons 
Date Built: 1973-4

Bodyshell mostly original steel with the addition of a tubular spaceframe and fabricated bulkheads. All of the suspension came from Ian's McLaren M8 CanAm car, and was independent with rising rate springs and shock absorbers. Brakes were ventilated disks, inboard at rear. Wheel were 11x15ins (28X38cms) at the front and 17x15ins (43x38cms) at the rear; tyres used were Firestone. The engine also also came from Ian's CanAm car and was a 7600cc Chevrolet V8 with 4 IDA 40 Webers and a Weaver Brother dry-sump. The 600bhp+ power was fed through a Hewland LG6000 transaxle with a triple-plate clutch."

A Google search will find quite a few pictures and articles on both the Frank Gardner and Ian Richardson cars.

Best regards,

Lowell 

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.