Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
How do I install a head liner in a rampside?
Posted by: putput ()
Date: March 11, 2019 07:30PM

How do I install a head liner in a rampside? pictures? Thanks!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2019 08:15PM by MattNall.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How do I install a head liner in a rampside?
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: March 12, 2019 08:16PM

TTT!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: ac1948 ()
Date: March 13, 2019 04:13AM

I gvan.lued marine carpet in my

Jerry Murray
Charleston, SC

63 Rampside, PG,110

63 Greenbrier, PG, 110

Posted by: grubin ()
Date: March 13, 2019 06:26AM

First Get extra help Cut to match first very carefully I used clarks The glue drys fast What I Did was double taped the headliner to hold up temporarily Then I did half first smooth it out the did the other half Practice a few times before doing

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: March 13, 2019 06:52AM

I've used FOAM paint rollers when re-gluing headliners with 3M headliner adhesive.

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: March 13, 2019 08:29AM

I've installed a few. Greenbrier was the biggest challenge!!!

Remove the old headliner and all adhesive residue.
You must use Landau adhesive. Clarks sells it. Landau adhesive will not soften and release like upholstery or super contact adhesive will do when it gets hot in the sun. Remember seeing vinyl tops bubbling up on the highway back in the 1970's? Wrong adhesives used!

Mark the center of the inside roof trim with painters tape, both front and rear.
Next mark the finished side center of the new headliner, front and rear with the tape. This will give you center marks and also help get the new headliner straight in its finished position.
I also cover the inside roof trim with painters tape to protect it from wondering adhesive.
Hold the new headliner up in it's place a few times to get an idea of how it will be going in.
Now apply adhesive onto the center of the roof, front to rear, about 12" wide. Do the same on the back of the new head liner
Here is where you need to be careful You only have ONE shot to get it positioned right. Landau adhesive will not let you pull away and reposition. Use the painters tape marks to position the headliner properly in the middle. Use a roller to smooth the headliner to roof. I use a 1 inch wide flat wood roller that's used to install window screens.
Once that's adhered, carefully apply adhesive to both roof and headliner backing. Carefully install the rest of the new headliner. Be careful where the adhesive goes. It likes to stick to the oddest places! Work from the middle to the edges. "Don't let it pucker!

If you go slowly and carefully, the new headliner will glue in just fine. Edges are pushed back into the roof trim.

One more thing...
If you find you have a small pucker in the headliner, all is not lost.
After allowing the adhesive t dry for a few days, take a dish towel and wet it. Use a cloths iron to steam the pucker away. It actually works!!eye popping smiley

If all else fails... one can start all over with another new headliner! hot smiley

But so far I have had good luck with the ones I've done. And for me anyway...the stock headliner in an FC looks so great when done!

Corventure Dave

Posted by: putput ()
Date: March 14, 2019 11:47AM

the stock is not bendable

Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: March 14, 2019 02:00PM

Where have you purchased the headliner material? I have installed Clarks perforated and non perforated FC headliner's. The material is quite flexible and matched the original.

It is not upholstery board that is more like a like a cardboard with one side finished surface to look like vinyl.

Corventure Dave

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.