Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Where can you add speakers on a LM convertible?
Posted by: rnch ()
Date: March 10, 2019 08:29AM

Bottom-front of the doors?

Is their space below the rear side windows?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Where can you add speakers on a LM convertible?
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: March 10, 2019 08:34AM

We've seen them in the rear armrests..

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: March 10, 2019 08:57AM

Didn't see a need to hide them, but then its my car.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

[corvaircenter.com]

Attachments:
Posted by: cschneider53 ()
Date: March 10, 2019 09:30AM

I have the retrosound speaker in the stock dash location and two Kenwood 6.5" speakers in boxes underneath the front seats. I used a small amp for the Kenwoods so I could separately adjust the volume and frequency band. The setup sounds really good to me. The retrosound speaker is quite an upgrade but is tinny. The 6.5's add just the right amount of depth for me but I don't care for booming bass.

Posted by: FLSteve ()
Date: March 10, 2019 11:11AM

I have found a good bluetooth speaker works the best for me. When I'm done I can take the speaker with me for use somewheres else or if I have to leave I can put them in the trunk. They can be had for under $15 to $100 or more. Connect to a phone or other bluetooth and your set. The one I have can be charged via USB so that is a non issue.

Posted by: 67 airvair ()
Date: March 10, 2019 01:06PM

Here's a couple of shots as to how the factory did it. Wiring routing instructions are available through Clark's, Inc.

-Mark

Attachments:

Posted by: David Malcolm ()
Date: March 10, 2019 01:31PM

I had tried the RetroSound dual voice coil speaker in my LM and thought it sounded like crap for the price. Got two small Tang Bang speaker and mounted them on a piece of plywood. These include a baffle/enclosure and sound much better and actually cost less than the RetroSound 4X10.

David Malcolm
1969 Monza PG Coupe
NJ near the Meadowlands

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: March 10, 2019 03:30PM

2 and 4 doors are easy early or late. Plywood, 6x9s etc.

The question is a convertible. since you cannot use the space behind the rear seat like on all the models with the steel roof option.winking smiley

My 64 Spyder convertible sported Radio Shack waterproof book shelf speakers mounted under the dash near the kick panel vents for years. Tight on the left foot of the driver, but my large feet lived with it.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: j3m ()
Date: March 10, 2019 06:55PM

You can place them underdash and underdash high up on the firewall (something like an all enclosed MARINE speaker with mounting bracket)

A small enclosed Marine speaker with approx 4 inch to 5 inch full range 40W speaker will fit up high on the firewall behind the Emergency brake.....on the right (passenger side) mounting is simple as there are no real obstructions to worry about. In addition to the enclosed boat (marine) speakers, I took 1/2 plywood and mounted two large round 6" full range 100 Watt speakers beneath the dash where you cannot see them. The plywood is parallel to the floorpan almost and tucked up high under the dash JUST TO PROVIDE THE TWO LARGE ROUND 6 inch openings for the two 6 inch round 100 watt speakers...........The ROUND 6 inch speakers aren't exactly pointing down at the floor, as I have them slightly angled like old stage monitor speakers at the front of the stage in rock concert settings of the seventies thru nineties.....the nobodys playing at the local pub likely still use these foldback monitors instead of wireless in ear stuff that most big name acts have adopted. Anyway, what you want is this "plywood shelf" to be mounted up high under dash where you can't see it....hugging the underside of the dash like the guts of an aftermkt add on .A/C system.
The two 100 watt 6" round speakers provide the meat, the depth of the sound..
the two 4" marine box enclosed speakers provide the directionality of the high end treble since they face straight ahead from the firewall.
One thing that you do want to do is take marine grade polyurethane and completely finish the plywood, and then fabricate a large cup, or bowl housing around the rear of the two 6" round speakers that are mostly facing down.
WHY? Because every LM convertible that I have owned weeps at least a small amount of moisture from the windshield-windshield pillar sections DURING A HARD RAIN or if you're blasting the car at a self serve car wash, or using your garden hose with high pressure to wash/clean your car in your driveway.
This is the reason that I selected the sealed already in box Marine (boat grade) 4" to go on the firewall................Just SPRAY PAINT THE BOX ENCLOSURE THE COLOR THAT COMES CLOSEST TO YOUR CARPET-INTERIOR COLOR BECAUSE TYPICALLY THOSE MARINE speaker assemblies usually are only White or Off White. I painted mine and the paint lasts at least a dozen years, and matches the interior perfectly. THE BEST THING IS THAT YOU DON'T SEE ANY SPEAKERS UNLESS YOU LOOK UNDER THE DASH. What I highly recommend is that YOU EPOXY the adjustable mounting bracket knobs for the smaller pair of MARINE boxed speakers. Why? Because once you determine the optimum ANGLE for them to face, just tighten the knob down to the steel brackets and EPOXY THE KNOB DOWN SUCH THAT THEY NEVER CAN VIBRATE OR CHANGE THEIR OUTFACING POSITION.

I chose large 6 inch Round high power full range speakers because I think that they provide the best sound for the music that I enjoy the most...........good depth of bass and mids and smooth if slightly more bass oriented, and decent enough considering the size and no subs are used at all. I find that 6x9, 5x8, and 4 x 10 speakers, although not terrible, are far too trebly and the high end tends to be harsh from about 6kHz thru about 15kHz.
I know the speakers that I use can hardly be called a "decent car stereo system" by those who strive for the best. I would say that the power output and sound is about equal to the best oem factory car stereo circa 1992.
It is more than loud enough to be heard while driving 80mph on the Interstate with the top down.

You can with the four speakers, have the two large round 6 inch speakers point mostly down but slightly angled out towards the passengers but more like towards the passengers right arm/leg and the left speaker under dash points a little more towards the drivers left arm/leg to get better LEFT/RIGHT spatial separation. Like I mentioned before, the little marine box enclosed speakers on the firewall up high in the corners WILL GIVE YOU ENOUGH DIRECTIONAL HIGH FREQUENCY TREBLE SUCH THAT THE SOUND WILL NOT BE MUDDY AT ALL.
The overall tonal balance is excellent.

Posted by: moomba32 ()
Date: March 11, 2019 08:46AM

My 64 vert has 2 6x9s mounted in boxes, the boxes are just sitting in the floor behind the seats, sounds pretty good. Almost never does anyone ride in the back, if so there's slack wire I just move them to the center.

Don Marlowe
66 Monza 2Dr 140/pg
64 Spyder convertible now, 110/pg
Eutawville SC

Posted by: 67 airvair ()
Date: March 11, 2019 11:10AM

For those who wonder about my '67 convert with the factory speakers in the boot well, which is where the factory put them. I can vouch that they WILL play up through the folded down top AND with the boot even snapped down like it's supposed to be. You may have to boost the rear output some, but it DOES work.

(My pictures of the factory speakers are in a post above)

-Mark

Posted by: rnch ()
Date: March 11, 2019 12:09PM

67 airvair Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> For those who wonder about my '67 convert with the
> factory speakers in the boot well, which is where
> the factory put them. I can vouch that they WILL
> play up through the folded down top AND with the
> boot even snapped down like it's supposed to be.
> You may have to boost the rear output some, but it
> DOES work.
>
> (My pictures of the factory speakers are in a post
> above)
>
> -Mark

I wonder if those factory speaker boxes are available any longer?

confused smiley

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: March 11, 2019 12:19PM

[www.corvair.com]

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

[corvaircenter.com]

Posted by: Vin ()
Date: March 11, 2019 06:05PM

Not the question you asked but an alternative to consider. I second the bluetooth speaker option. I bought a portable JBL bluetooth speaker and use it everywhere. In the corvair I set it on the passenger or rear seat or the floor. No wires, no mess. And you can listen to anything on your phone from saved songs to radio to Pandora or Spotify.

Vin
Dayton, OH
1965 Corvair Monza Convertible (4 speed)

Posted by: Tusharriv ()
Date: March 11, 2019 07:26PM

I tried a few pricey Bluetooth speakers and was never too happy with them. It was especially tough for my kids in the back to hear. I ended up putting some Alpine 5.25 inch speakers with separate tweeters under the dash on both sides. The main speakers are firing down and the tweeters are mounted right at the top of the carpet where you can't see them. I have a small Bluetooth amplifier that is hard wired into the car in the glovebox and is only on when the ignition is on. I then keep my phone in the cup holder while it plays over Bluetooth, and the sound is great. I have my stock AM radio that is still hooked up and works with the speaker by the windshield. Nobody can really tell that things don't look stock. It was a fairly cheap and easy setup that didn't cost too much, and I was able to install it without much trouble.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.