Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: WTB - '67 Telescopic Column
Posted by: rnch ()
Date: March 11, 2019 09:05AM

Here's a pic of the telescopic wheel in Skyler-The-Drop-Top-Airvair.

I just push it all the way forward and lock it in place.

Attachments:
Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: 67 airvair ()
Date: March 11, 2019 10:50AM

I can understand why a vendor would sell them to Corvette people. After all, you can't eat them. Having them around doesn't put food on the table unless and until you sell it. Still, as junkman points out, so many Corvair people are short-sighted. And then they'll sit around wondering why they can't get such-and-such parts.confused smiley

While I understand the economics of it, it doesn't mean that I don't find it reprehensible. I hold myself to a higher standard, and will not knowingly sell said items or anything else in that same kind of situation. To me, it's a Corvair part, NOT a Corvette part. And there ARE Corvair people out there who would want one. It took me many years, no, decades to find one for my '69, and I had to piece it together, part by part.

At one time I had a '67 standard wheel tele column sitting in the corner of my shop. A Corvette friend happened to stop by, and as soon as he laid eyes on it, his tongue was dragging on the ground and he was tromping all over it. First he offered me a handsome sum of money. Later he upped the offer, then upped it again, and again. He eventually offered me a whole car, less the tele column he had pilfered from it. And it included its original 140/auto/air conditioning system, two-tone (moldings complete), bumper guards, and I don't know what else. I turned him down flat. The column eventually found a home with a friend who weighs 350# if an ounce, while his wife is barely 98# soaking wet. Did they need it? Absolutely. The column simply needed to find them.

Thus while I don't like seeing someone sell one to a Corvette person, I can also understand the economics of it, as sorry as it is. The factory made some 14,000 for the '65-6 Corvair, but so few for the '67-9's. Then only to have them pilfered by Corvette people who could afford to repop the parts they need. How sad. sad smiley And the Corvair community is all the poorer because of it.

-Mark

Posted by: Ron62 ()
Date: March 13, 2019 04:27AM

Seth,
I prefer a tilt column. Are there options out there for a 67 ?

Posted by: corvarious ()
Date: March 18, 2019 03:04PM

I have a standard (not wood) wheel and tele column. I will look tomorrow, as I am not sure if it is brushed or shiny finish. If you are still looking for one, PM me with your phone number. John

Posted by: orloman ()
Date: March 28, 2019 05:51AM

So my search for a 1967 Telescopic column has come to what I consider to be a vairy happy ending. I purchased the above column from Corvarious and it arrived safely yesterday. Many thanks to Corvarious for a pain free transaction and to 67 airvair who provided me with a wealth of valuable telescopic column information. The Corvair Center Phorum, and all the good folks who haunt it, continue to prove to me that there are no people like Corvair people. smileys with beer

John O
Canterbury, CT
1967 Monza Coupe 110/PG
jcorlo@charter.net

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.