Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
WTB - '67 Telescopic Column
Posted by: orloman ()
Date: March 08, 2019 01:52PM

I realize that this is a real shot in the dark considering the small number of them that were optioned but hey, you never know until you ask, right? drinking smiley So who has a telescoping column for a '67 that they've been hanging on to but have come to the realization that they will never actually use it?

John O
Canterbury, CT
1967 Monza Coupe 110/PG
jcorlo@charter.net

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: WTB - '67 Telescopic Column
Posted by: gnrand ()
Date: March 08, 2019 02:50PM

[www.ebay.com]

Wildomar,Ca

1965 Corsa Hard Top
!965 Corsa Convertible
1968 Monza 140 Convertible 4 speed
1966 435 HP Crown
1986 Buick GN

Posted by: 2ragtops ()
Date: March 08, 2019 03:53PM

There is another one on ebay for 799.00 no wheel.

Bob Bauer

Show-Me Corvairs

1966 Monza Convert 140 P/G with A/C, plastic wheel with tele-column am-fm posi-traction
1966 Corsa Convert 180 wood wheel tele-column am-fm sport steering posi-traction
1965 Corsa Coupe Crown V8 temporarily red lined for repair
House Springs, Missouri

Posted by: texas yenko dude ()
Date: March 08, 2019 06:06PM

I have a nice 67 wood wheel tele stashes I’m going to use in my 69. This is the 2nd wood wheel 67 tele I have had. I also had one of the 50ish produced 67 teles with the standard wheel. With the bright trim, it was beautiful. The 67’s are hard to find. You will have an easier time finding a 68-69 honestly.

Texas YENKO Dude
YS-070
YS-199
YS-320
Southeast of Disorder

Posted by: orloman ()
Date: March 09, 2019 05:00AM

It is my understanding that a '68 or '69 column would bolt right in whereas a '65 or '66 column would require modifications. If this is true then I will expand my search to include '68 and '69 telescoping columns.

John O
Canterbury, CT
1967 Monza Coupe 110/PG
jcorlo@charter.net

Posted by: solo2r ()
Date: March 09, 2019 07:16AM

'67-'69 are interchangable.

Posted by: rnch ()
Date: March 10, 2019 08:27AM

Having owned two Corvairs with this option; I just don't understand the appeal of the telescopic wheel.

Unless your arms are extremely "length challenged" you will just push the wheel as far forward as possible and leave it there.

Also, you loose the horn half-ring with this option.

Great for armchair "bragging rights" (especially with your Corvette Sting Ray friends); but rather useless in "The Real World".

Just MY opinion.

Posted by: stitch ()
Date: March 10, 2019 08:40AM

Since I am the only one to drive MY Vair, I agree with you 100% rnch! I feel the same way with the 'Remote' mirror. Once it's set...it's set! smoking smiley

"If you can't fix it with a Hammer, you have an Electrical problem."
Stitch...
Schertz, Texas.
(Smallish town/burg 17 mi. NE of San Antonio)

!967.. 4th body
8th off the line

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: March 10, 2019 08:44AM

Notice Seth E. has gone to a TILT column!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: rnch ()
Date: March 10, 2019 09:23AM

stitch Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Since I am the only one to drive MY Vair, I agree
> with you 100% rnch! I feel the same way with the
> 'Remote' mirror. Once it's set...it's set! smoking smiley

Yup!

Just like the 180 turbo engine, a telescopic wheel and remote mirror were on my Corvair wish list for years....decades...until I experienced 'em.

Posted by: RexJohnson ()
Date: March 10, 2019 09:41AM

From someone who drives their Corvair across the country it is nice to move the steering wheel in or out for a change every few hundred miles or so. If there are different drivers, then the remote mirror isn't a bad thing either.

RJ tools
Salem,Oregon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2019 10:49AM by MattNall.

Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: March 10, 2019 12:12PM

The basis for the telescoping column was for the Corvair to be used as a family car, with more than one driver. Each driver could move the seat and the steering wheel to their own comfortable position. If you are the only driver, then . . . . .

Seth Emerson

Check my new Performance Corvair Web site [www.perfvair.com]

Posted by: 67 airvair ()
Date: March 10, 2019 12:32PM

For me, a tele is almost a necessity. It has to do with body size geometry. I am built such that in order to get into a standard column Corvair, I have to do a bit of a lambada with my legs to get under the wheel. A tele column provides the luxury of being able to move the wheel just those couple of inches that make all the difference in the world.

And just FYI there were only 299 tele columns made in '67, 199 in '68, and 299 in '69, plus the '67-8's had the wood wheel option. What I refer to as the "top chrome" parts (the horn button and lever) were solid chrome in '67 and satin finish in '68-9, making the '67 top chrome extremely rare (I estimate only about 150 made).

Then we have those @*&%$ Corvette people, who would rather steal our columns than pay out of their deep pockets for repopping the pieces they need for their cars. IMHO this makes selling a '67-9 Corvair tele column to a Corvette person an act of treason, free market be damned.

As to the remote mirror, with the air conditioning running, I don't care to open the window on a hot day, should the mirror get knocked or vibrate out of position, or in case I want to have a slightly different look rearward. So it to is a welcome and useful option to me.

Just my opinion, your mileage may differ.

-Mark

Posted by: Caraholic4life ()
Date: March 10, 2019 12:36PM

I happen to like the telescopic column in the Corvair for two reasons.
First:
It can make swapping steering wheels if so desired, sometimes easier.
Second:
If a driver is short and needs the seat adjusted all the way forward so their feet can work the pedals, the column can be adjusted all the way in if needed.
If a driver is tall and needs the seat adjusted all the way back so their knees aren't bumping against the steering wheel and dash, the column can be adjusted all the way out if needed.

Once a telescopic column is set, it rarely needs re-adjusted unless the driver's needs change. My preference is to have the steering wheel at arm's length whenever possible.

I also like to think that if I were unfortunate enough to be in an accident, the column might collapse a bit easier than a solid non-adjustable column.

Years ago I rarely saw telescopic columns in a Corvair at a show.
More recently it seems every other late model has one.
My 1965 Monza coupe will be getting one as the car goes back together because I simply want one. It will have an aftermarket wood wheel on it.

1962 95 F.C. Van
1965 Monza Coupe
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Posted by: schuls1 ()
Date: March 10, 2019 01:09PM

67 airvair Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> For me, a tele is almost a necessity. It has to do
> with body size geometry. I am built such that in
> order to get into a standard column Corvair, I
> have to do a bit of a lambada with my legs to get
> under the wheel. A tele column provides the luxury
> of being able to move the wheel just those couple
> of inches that make all the difference in the
> world.
>
> And just FYI there were only 299 tele columns made
> in '67, 199 in '68, and 299 in '69, plus the
> '67-8's had the wood wheel option. What I refer to
> as the "top chrome" parts (the horn button and
> lever) were solid chrome in '67 and satin finish
> in '68-9, making the '67 top chrome extremely rare
> (I estimate only about 150 made).
>
> Then we have those @*&%$ Corvette people, who
> would rather steal our columns than pay out of
> their deep pockets for repopping the pieces they
> need for their cars. IMHO this makes selling a
> '67-9 Corvair tele column to a Corvette person an
> act of treason, free market be damned.
>
> As to the remote mirror, with the air conditioning
> running, I don't care to open the window on a hot
> day, should the mirror get knocked or vibrate out
> of position, or in case I want to have a slightly
> different look rearward. So it to is a welcome and
> useful option to me.
>
> Just my opinion, your mileage may differ.
>
> -Mark

Mark,

FWIW,....According to my data,...there were 229 tele columns produced on the '68 Corvairs.

Stan,
SW Missouri

Posted by: 67 airvair ()
Date: March 10, 2019 01:14PM

I won't argue that stat, Stan. Still, it's just a handful, no matter how you slice it. Rare.

-Mark

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: March 10, 2019 06:58PM

About 16 years ago, I had a bunch of telescopic columns, and I couldn't get Corvair people interested in them at the price that the Corvette vendor was offering. After trying to peddle them for over a year, I took the Corvette vendors offer. It is just a shame that the Corvair community was so short sighted. Todays outlandish prices are tomorrows bargains! One of the biggest problems that I face, is that there is no way to figure out what a particular part is worth, since there aren't that many NOS parts offered for sale. That leaves me to take a guess, and sometimes, I guess high because I just don't know the value. That is why I will take offers. If no offers, then it must be worthless, so it goes into a box of worthless parts.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodstock CT... Located on the Connecticut / Massachusetts border, approximately 6 miles from the center of Southbridge MA. About 45 minutes from Hartford CT. 1 1/2 hours West of Boston MA. Woodstock CT to Los Angeles CA 2,937.1 miles. 1 Mile as the crow flies to Big Bird's nest.

Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: March 10, 2019 07:31PM

For the 65-66 model ownerIf you don't want to spend the big bucks for the telescoping column, but want to position the steering wheel in the position you want or need, you have a number of options. For $500-600, and a bit of work, you can install a tilt column. This allows access to many GM wheels, or aftermarket wheels. At a lower price-point, you can install a hub adapter, and spacers, if needed, and any number of different diameter wheels, with various rim materials and horn buttons. The best part about the latter choice, you can turn the whole thing back to stock in 20 minutes, should you desire it.

Seth Emerson

Check my new Performance Corvair Web site [www.perfvair.com]

Posted by: thewolfe ()
Date: March 11, 2019 07:13AM

I have a telescoping column. It was in my car when I bought it and I keep the wheel all the way forward all the time. Even though I don't use the telescoping function it is the sexiest corvair steering column in my opinion and that's why I like it.

Nate Wolfe
Portland OR
65 Corsa 180

Posted by: texas yenko dude ()
Date: March 11, 2019 08:08AM

For those that have never seen one of the 50 or so, 67 tele columns with a standard wheel, this is one I had and sold about 5 years ago. I think the 67 looks great with the bright trim, unlike the brushed of the 68-69's.

Texas YENKO Dude
YS-070
YS-199
YS-320
Southeast of Disorder

Attachments:
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.