Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Vintage Car LEDs
Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: March 08, 2019 02:47PM

American Mel Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Since in America, we still have the right to our
> own opinion (for a little while longer anyway), I
> will take this opportunity to voice mine.
> In my not so humble opinion, both of the L.E.D.
> options that have been pictured are quite
> atrocious looking and are not something that I
> would want on my car.
These things are known as Harley Daymakers, its about the hottest selling Harley accessory going for the past several years. You could probably go to a biker bar and tell someone you don't like the look of the LED headlights, I personally wouldn't. The ones I'm playing with are Amazon Chinese knock offs, but the reviews are great. I did handheld lighting with a battery and its impressive in both pattern and brightness. Why have I not installed them. It much deeper the a stock, plazma cutter would be great. Hey some of us have been using Harley mufflers on our Vairs!! Why not lights? I have seen these mounted on other cars (NON-VAIR) and personally think they look great. Didn't get to tlk to the owners. Of course I'm an its your car, your choice kind of guy. Below are some you tubes that should give you an idea of the performance. This is with one lamp, now multiply that X2 or X4 on a Vair. We're talking Rikers Island during a prison break bright. right now I'm trying to sort out a brake issue, and also like my ski days, so its not a front burner project.

[www.bing.com]

[www.bing.com]

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

[corvaircenter.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: March 08, 2019 03:26PM

J.O., I quite agree with its your car, its your choice!
I was simply stating my choice.
I think they are ugly on a car.
Others may like them, and they are welcome to them.
As for bikes, I don't think that they look too bad on them.
Something about the lack of bodywork surrounding them probably.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
'66 Monza Coupe - 4spd, 140 Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - PG, 140 Daily driver beater
'67 A/C Moredoor Monza - 140 4-spd. driver

Date: March 09, 2019 04:48AM

If your talking about the type that looks like a shower head with multiple LEDs, then I'm not fan either. Also, the light pattern is not great for that type. Good for my snow blower though. I'm talking about the ones with built in projectors for each LED. The black ones also look good to me. Matt just found these on Ebay, twice the lumens and power as what I'm playing with. Look at the hard top cut off and the width of the beam on the ground.

[www.ebay.com]

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV

Bethlehem,Pa

[corvaircenter.com]

Date: March 09, 2019 04:58PM

Funny how much, different people have different taste.
I like the chrome ones MUCH better than the black ones.
I think it is because they look a little more traditional.
If the headlight surrounds have been Blacked Out, then I suppose the Black headlights would fit in better.

Posted by: Spectre ()
Date: March 13, 2019 11:07AM

Just saw these today: [www.headlightexperts.com]

I wonder how the light patern is in real life...and do they blind everyone else on the road. They look good, but do they perform?

David Clamp

1965 Corsa convertible - 140 4spd/3.55/AM-FM

2013 Mustang GT convertible - 5.0, 6spd auto, Procharger i-1

2003 Miata SE - 6spd manual (wife's toy)

"Victory is mine!" - SG

Norman, OK

<a href="[www.wunderground.com] src="[weathersticker.wunderground.com]; alt="Click for Norman, Oklahoma Forecast" height="90" width="160"></a>

Posted by: thewolfe ()
Date: March 13, 2019 11:58AM

Those would absolutely blind people. Halogen housings with LED bulbs. If you don't see a projector lens it's going to be blinding people when using HID or LED bulbs.

Nate Wolfe
Portland OR
65 Corsa 180

Date: March 13, 2019 02:08PM

If you could do it that way, I doubt HD would have spent the time and $$$ to develop the Daymaker which has 6 different projector lenses built in along with at least that many LEDS at different locations. The other plus of the Daymaker type is the heat is spread out across a large sink. The biggest mistake they made was having them produced in China where the could be easily copied.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV

Bethlehem,Pa

[corvaircenter.com]

Posted by: 67 airvair ()
Date: March 13, 2019 04:25PM

When messing with one's headlights, you have to keep the oncoming traffic's safety in mind, not only in choosing, but in using them. I had cataract surgery and am therefore sensitive to bright lights. Once I had a stepladder pickup approach me, and his lights were a bit too strong. I assumed he had his brights on, so I flashed mine. The idiot responded by turning on a whole armada of lights PLUS a full-width off-road light bar (the kind that melts asphalt for 500 yards), and LEFT THEM ON!!! eye popping smiley I couldn't see squat except for the second coming of Christ headed at me. Had he just flashed a brighter light at me, that would have been enough, but no. Not for that moron. He could have caused a major wreck.

Fortunately, I somehow made it past him, but damnation. Called the State boys as soon as I could. Would have loved to see him pull that stunt on an oncoming State Highway Patrol car. If I was that patrolman, I'd have whipped around and pulled him over real fast. Then I would have ordered him out with my shootin' iron drawn, cuffed him and thrown him in the back of the cruiser. Then thrown the book at him, confiscated his ride, and had it stripped by the impound lot of every light on it. And if I could have gotten away with pistol-whipping him senseless, I would have done so as well.

May just such a thing happen to that dork.angry smiley

-Mark

Posted by: MoxyRamone ()
Date: March 13, 2019 04:45PM

I have to be honest, while a do appreciate the better visibility offered by modern headlights, I prefer the look of the old school lights on a classic. The older I get, the less I drive at night and the less I need fancy supernova-bright lights. I can't stand the really bright stuff anyway. My eyes just can't adjust. If I saw those lights on a classic, I would be really put-off, so I guess I am "No One" too. Let's get a beer American Mel... I'm buying.

John Carver
Simpsonville, South Carolina

1964 Monza Convertible

Posted by: playerpage ()
Date: March 13, 2019 04:55PM

I got crazy and tried installing some kuje that on mine. Between the fact that they were juuuuust too big and that they looked awful, I returned them.

Date: March 13, 2019 07:08PM

Couple things, . . . .

#1, Why do so many keep insisting that Conversion kits will not work and are blinding to on-coming drivers?
The only answer to that, that I can find, is that most of them have read it on Daniel Stern's website, and since he claims to be a "Lighting Expert" and "Consultant" then it must be absolute Gospel Truth!
Well, guess what!?!?!?
Not everything that you read on the interweb is true!
Unless you have personally tried EVERY SINGLE CONVERSION KIT, please quit denouncing them as soon as they appear!
Yes, I would be suspect of any cheap Chinese kits, but tell me something.
If the H-4 headlights are not a problem as made, then why is a conversion bulb that has L.E.D.s placed in the EXACT position of the Tungsten filament going to be any different?
As for Mr. Stern saying so, just why do you trust somebody so faithfully, when he is so obviously BIASED?
He is a SALESMAN! He wants you to buy HIS products!
If he did not have a dog in the fight, then I might be a bit more inclined to believe what he is saying. sad smiley

#2, J.O. I respectfully disagree. I can see HD spending money on developing their own product, even when/if there is a superior product out there on the market.
It is ALL about the Alimighty $$$ !
Some HD owners are SO fanatical about HD products, that they would purchase a case of Dog Crap if it was Boxed, and Branded by HD! eye rolling smiley

#3. Mark, your Hatred and Intolerance astounds me! eye popping smiley

#4, John, thank-you! Make mine a ROOT-Beer. Draft Allen & Wright is my favorite! smileys with beer

#5, Player, what in the world is "Kuje That" ? ? ? confused smiley

Posted by: MoxyRamone ()
Date: March 13, 2019 08:43PM

Root Beer it is! I'll take a sioux city sarsaparilla.

John Carver
Simpsonville, South Carolina

1964 Monza Convertible

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: March 13, 2019 08:54PM

A-Mel... you must not get out much at night in the Big City! These things are all over..

And if there ever was a "lighting-whacko".... it's J.O.... I'm sure he's tried them all.

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: 67 airvair ()
Date: March 14, 2019 05:39AM

#3. Mark, your Hatred and Intolerance astounds me! eye popping smiley

American Mel

Response: Mel, My post was just a cautionary tale of what can happen when extreme lighting is abused. It's meant to remind others to be careful in their usage of such lighting, and to consider others, and not just themselves.

I can only suppose that you would have, in the same circumstance, said "thank you" and left it at that? Do you not realize that the self-centered, psychotic idiot in question could have caused a horrific accident? I could have run into him, I could have driven off the road into ?? He could have (and probably did) also blinded the traffic behind me, and caused a massive pileup? All sorts of possibilities for a horror show, all because of his stupidity, arrogance, and nasty attitude.

My reaction is, I feel, entirely normal and natural, having experienced what I did. I can't imagine anyone with any degree of humanity feeling any other way. So if I may, I sincerely and respectfully recommend that you may need to reexamine your abnormal response.

-Mark

Posted by: azdave ()
Date: March 14, 2019 05:56AM

American Mel Wrote:
> If the H-4 headlights are not a problem as made,
> then why is a conversion bulb that has L.E.D.s
> placed in the EXACT position of the Tungsten
> filament going to be any different?

Mel,

The LEDs are NOT placed in the exact same position. It is a physical impossibility due to the form factor of LEDs. The positioning is critical for the filament and LEDs cannot match that same form. If it was as easy as placing a LED in the same position as where the filament bulb was, the problem would have been solved years ago.

I have personally tested at least 6 sets of these in the last 3-5 years and I remain disappointed. Many sellers even claim they have DOT approvals on them but when I press them for the details they stop returning my emails. I re-sell them at a loss on eBay. I have taken them to meetings installed in my Corsa and shown everyone how bad they are. I have yet to see a set that I would not be embarrassed to use due to the poor light output (pattern). They are bright for sure, but blinding with no defined cutoff and plenty of light escaping above that. In order to not blind oncoming traffic I have had to aim them so far down that they are of little use for driving at night.

BTW...I know who Daniel Stern is but do not belong to his forum or even read his site. He is not an influence in my evaluations. I do my own testing.

I would be happy if someone made a great solution for this but I haven's seen it yet. Someday I hope.

Dave W. / Gilbert Arizona
65 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4 w/factory A/C
66 Corsa 455 Toro V8
65 Monza Convertible 110/4
66 Monza Convertible 140/4
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2019 05:57AM by azdave.

Date: March 14, 2019 06:21AM

I have already returned some LED head lights because I didn't like the cut off or there was too much light splatter. Even in my new Sorento with quartz projectors it took several LEDS until I found some I considered good, actually great. These are adjustable to some extent. I would have ordered factory HID, like my wife's car, but they were part of a several thousand dollar package. The difference between driving my wifes car at night were remarkable, that's when I started the LED search. Now we both agree that the LED projectors in the Sorento are better than the factory HID in her car. Unless I come up with something that has a good hard cut off and decent light down the road I won't be posting any results.

One thing that anyone can try on any car is LED backup light bulbs. Both of our cars have gone from what I would backup indicators to real backup lights where you can actually see something behind you. I bought an set for my neighbor and my son, same results.

[www.amazon.com]

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV

Bethlehem,Pa

[corvaircenter.com]

Date: March 14, 2019 06:29AM

azdave Wrote:

>
> I have personally tested at least 6 sets of these
> in the last 3-5 years and I remain disappointed.
> Many sellers even claim they have DOT approvals on
> them but when I press them for the details they
> stop returning my emails. I re-sell them at a loss
> on eBay.

Hi Dave, that's why I buy this stuff on PRIME, yes, sometimes it costs a little more. I try them out quickly and return them as not satisfactory. I'm paying extra for prime so I don't feel bad about doing it. Some may consider this unethical, but I suspect they go to an Ebay seller in the end anyway.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV

Bethlehem,Pa

[corvaircenter.com]

Posted by: WhenIm64 ()
Date: March 14, 2019 04:49PM

I just hafta add...

Between my wife and myself, we have four cars: One Corvair (a '63 Rampside), a 2004 GMC, a 2011 VW, and a 2016 Honda.

With ordinary parts-store halogen headlights in the Rampside, it has the best lighting of all four.

--Bob

Date: March 14, 2019 05:35PM

Back in the day I always felt that Vairs had some of best headlights going, even before Halogen. There four of them and so close to the ground they were nearly illegal. They got better down the road with halogen, but didn't fill in the close up or width of the originals. So they are great lights but can be made better. As for your 2004 GMC, try Sylvania Extra Vision, great halogen bulb. Do either the VW or the Honda have projectors, or HID?

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV

Bethlehem,Pa

[corvaircenter.com]

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.