Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Back on the road--A few bugs
Posted by: playerpage ()
Date: March 06, 2019 11:55AM

So the BLUVAIR 66 Turbo is finally back together and running. It's loud and fast, but I'm still finding a couple of issues:

Instagram photos of the car that I don't think you need to Instagram to see.

It's not idling less than 1800 RPMs, sometimes more, and nothing I adjust will fix it.

Every so often I can't get it to go into any gear. Then it'll be fine. I kind of suspect that the idling issue is affecting that though. But there's also a new noise a very slight purr when I push the clutch in. Those parts I find the most curious because there was nothing wrong in that respect before I worked on the engine. And I never detached the engine from the car.

Lastly and more entertaining, the car makes a single huge backfire after it has been run for a sustained period.

But I must say I'm loving driving it. In terms of performance it's a whole new car.

<b> Eric C. Player
Porterville, CA
<i>- National Member, CORSA
- Member: Central Coast CORSA, South Coast CORSA, and San Joaquin Valley Corvair Club</i>
THEN: 1967 Monza 110 Canary Yellow/1966 Corsa 180 Turbo, Red/
1965 Monza 110 Purple/1967 Monza 140 Red/1966 500 110 Black/1965 Monza 110 Camaro Yellow
NOW: 1966 Corsa 180 Turbo Coupe Blue. Blue/Beige interior.
<br><a href="[static.wixstatic.com] src="[static.wixstatic.com] href="[static.wixstatic.com] src="[static.wixstatic.com];
<br><font=+2><i>"He cautioned me not to take notes. It would not have helped if I had, as he would start a paragraph with, 'It is therefore obvious. . .' and go on from there to matters which may have been obvious to him and God but to no one else." -- Daniel B. Davis</font></i></b>

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2019 11:56AM by playerpage.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Back on the road--A few bugs
Posted by: Caraholic4life ()
Date: March 06, 2019 01:14PM

Well Eric, I am glad it is Loud and Fast, because if it were Fast and Loud, I would expect you to be in the Dallas Texas area.grinning smiley

1962 95 F.C. Van
1965 Monza Coupe
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: March 06, 2019 01:26PM

playerpage Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
Addressing one issue at a time, does the huge backfire come out the muffler or the carburetor? Does it do this at idle, on acceleration or deceleration?
> Lastly and more entertaining, the car makes a
> single huge backfire after it has been run for a
> sustained period.

'29 Ford Model A Tudor
'61 700 Lakewood 110 4 speed
'69 Monza Convert. 140 Auto.
'70 Dodge Challenger R/T 440 4 speed

Been aircooled since 1973
Northwest Ohio

Date: March 06, 2019 01:54PM

The backfire happens as soon as I turn the car off. No other time. And from what I can tell it's coming out of the exhaust pipe.

Also now getting a pressure warning when I accelerate too rapidly for its taste. I've shut it off and checked the temperature when that happens. It doesn't seem to be overheating so it must be the oil. Which is borne out by the fact that oil is squeezing up through the dipstick

<b> Eric C. Player
Porterville, CA
- Member: Central Coast CORSA, South Coast CORSA, and San Joaquin Valley Corvair Club</i>
1965 Monza 110 Purple/1967 Monza 140 Red/1966 500 110 Black/1965 Monza 110 Camaro Yellow
<br><a href="[static.wixstatic.com] src="[static.wixstatic.com] href="[static.wixstatic.com] src="[static.wixstatic.com];
<br><font=+2><i>"He cautioned me not to take notes. It would not have helped if I had, as he would start a paragraph with, 'It is therefore obvious. . .' and go on from there to matters which may have been obvious to him and God but to no one else." -- Daniel B. Davis</font></i></b>

Posted by: toms73novass ()
Date: March 06, 2019 02:00PM

Running too rich with the high idle, fuel vapor build up in exhaust, when shut off gets hot enough to ignite???? Just thinking out loud.

-Tom

63' Monza Spyder Convertable (in process) MY Build Thread
65' Monza MY Build Thread
73' NovaSS 454 Big block
86' BMW 325es
98' Dodge 2500 12v Cummins Diesel with 1200 lb torque!
98' VW Jetta TDI, for daughter
01' Audi Allroad Stage 3 twin turbo

NFCC
Grand Island, NY

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: March 06, 2019 02:00PM

Too much blow-by or PCV is clogged.

Disconnect the throttle linkage from the carburetor. Will it idle below 1800?

When it will "not go in any gear", do the teeth grind as you try to move the stick?

So, what part did you touch since it last ran right?winking smiley

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: Richard ()
Date: March 06, 2019 02:24PM

What PCV system? He's missing the PCV Orifice tube.

Attachments:
Date: March 06, 2019 02:26PM

All,

I recently put two new (to me) heads on it. At the same time I rebuilt the carburetor. Which I've never done before in my life. Not even on another car.

Sometimes the transmission grinds, but usually it's just me searching for the gear while muttering "Get...in...there...!"

That exhaust ignition idea sounds very close, whoever came up with that.

And can someone give me a photograph of what it's supposed to look like on the PVC? The way it is is the way it came. I didn't change that when I rebuilt the carburetor. And I cannot stress how important a photograph is instead of a chart. I seem completely unable to read charts.

I'll try that linkage trick next.

<b> Eric C. Player
Porterville, CA

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2019 02:30PM by playerpage.

Date: March 06, 2019 02:46PM

Or perhaps you meant to point out that tube coming up and out of my engine? That's an oversized tube that is not actually doing anything. The PCV tube is in the correct place and not obstructed. The smaller hose coming from the PCV to the carburetor might need to be replaced or maybe it's incorrect completely?

Why is it there do you ask? Because PCV intake nozzle was still painted purple by the previous owner and I couldn't figure out a way to do anything with it so I covered it up.

<b> Eric C. Player
Porterville, CA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2019 02:48PM by playerpage.

Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: March 06, 2019 04:12PM

The rubber hose between the comp housing
and vent tube is a big vac leak. There
is a metal tube with a metered orfice end
that controls the vac to the PCV system.

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo---1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4---1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Date: March 06, 2019 04:30PM

Thanks Steve, any idea where to get one of those? I'll check ebay.

<b> Eric C. Player
Porterville, CA

Date: March 06, 2019 05:52PM

Oh, definitely do the tube first!!!!

All of your other issues might disappear.

Cal Corvair

-Tom

73' NovaSS 454 Big block
86' BMW 325es

NFCC
Grand Island, NY

Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: March 06, 2019 07:32PM

playerpage Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks Steve, any idea where to get one of those?
> I'll check ebay.

I should have one but there are places near
you too. Club members too.

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo---1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4---1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: March 06, 2019 07:41PM

Tom73 posted this link $10!

[californiacorvairparts.com]

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: March 11, 2019 03:53PM

So I have purchased that PCV tube from California Corvairs, but when I bent over to switch out the hose for the metal tube I ran into an issue: The nipple end of the hose is screwed into place with a threaded end that is a 9/16 nut, but the PCV tube is set up with a 1/2 or 7/16 thread. (I haven't looked closely, but I have held it up to the existing nut and I can see that they are different sizes). So if I take out the existing nut (it does not want to move by the way. It almost seems welded in) how do I make the PCV tube fit? Or if I just cut the hose off would the metal underneath have a secondary thread that are smaller pipe can go into?

Anyone with experience would be helpful.

<b> Eric C. Player
Porterville, CA

Date: March 11, 2019 04:02PM

Not sure about the turbo end, mine is out of reach at the moment, it is the orifice in the end of the tube that is important, in worst case scenario you could cut the metal tube with the orifice and insert it in the middle of the hose you have right now. So, hose, metal tube with orifice, hose.....

-Tom

73' NovaSS 454 Big block
86' BMW 325es

NFCC
Grand Island, NY

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2019 04:04PM by toms73novass.

Posted by: sweet66monza ()
Date: March 12, 2019 12:05AM

If I understand your description correctly, do you have the correct adapter in place in the impeller housing? The metal tube screws into a fitting that is Male pipe thread, female inverted flare. I dont recall the sizes and car is put away, but here is the best picture I have

Cody Hurley
North Idaho (Post Falls)
66 Monza convertible 140/PG, loaded with factory options
66 Corsa turbo coupe, 3rd owner fully documented [corvaircenter.com]
65 Monza coupe daily driver 110/4
Also 2 Ford f350 IDI diesels, seven Jeep FC 170s, 1966 Jeep CJ5A, 03 neon, 4 Rokon Trailbreakers, Honda xr350s, and thousands of parts

Attachments:
Posted by: roger65180 ()
Date: March 12, 2019 06:00AM

you are on the wright track, the pcv tube is a flare fitting so you are still missing 1 item, it is 1/4 npt to fit the compresser housing and flare fitting for 1/4 tubing , like brake line . as far as your Idle speed disconect the link from throttle to choke I believe you missed a step in the instructions it is holding your throttle open it has to be bent at the 90 degree to provide fast idle . one more thing on your carb ( nice pics by the way ) take your carb back off remove the cast iron throttle body now check the carb body with a strait edge it will be worped it is caused by over tightening the top carb nut. to repair I use a large flat file some use a press but you risk crushing the body ( there is a small pin on the body for gasket alignment it is not nessesary file it off the 3 screws hold the gasket in place . hope this helps. Roger.

Roger R
Madison Wi
62 ct pg turbo
65intercooled 180 4sp,autocrosser
62 Rampy

Date: March 12, 2019 08:14PM

This really helps, everybody, thanks! I need to find those proper fittings and get this baby put back together.

And Cody--I thought maybe that was what my tube was jammed into, but no. I'm going to have to find a replacement part.

By the way, the used PCV tube I bought has a very hard hose on the end. Is that as it should be, or is it just old?

<b> Eric C. Player
Porterville, CA

Attachments:

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: March 12, 2019 08:20PM

Hose is hard from HEAT! Get a new piece

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.