Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Oil Filter Adaptor
Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: February 10, 2019 04:53PM

Watch for sales at Clark's. I think the ones I bought last year on sale were $6 or $6.50.
They are only $6.15 at qty 12 regular price.

Joel
Northlake, TX
4 Ultravans, Lost count at 100 Corvairs...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2019 04:55PM by joelsplace.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: February 10, 2019 08:36PM

An oil filter is not the place to be cheap....cool smiley

Search for pictures of ill fitting Purolater filters.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: February 11, 2019 02:56AM

I just tossed a NAPA filter that the top ring fell off when I removed it off the Mouse House 110 engine. It was on long enough to mount it, then take it off to install the Clark's oil pressure sender bolt. Never ran the engine.

The NAPA filter was a filter I got with the purchase of the Greenbrier. A Clark's oil filter replaced it. When I have used up all the Clark's filters (3 more), I am installing the Ray Sedman manufactured spin-on oil filter adapter.

Al Lane
Ellabell GA

1966 Monza Coupe, 110 hp, 4 Spd
1968 Camaro SS Coupe 350 CI 295+ HP PG
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe, 6 dr, 80 hp car engine, PG
2015 Chevrolet Malibu 2LT
2018 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ Z71 Centennial Edition
1947 Farmall A tractor 15 hp

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: February 11, 2019 08:08AM

Frank DuVal Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> An oil filter is not the place to be cheap....cool smiley
>
> Search for pictures of ill fitting Purolater
> filters.

Agreed - A couple weeks ago a club member's Corvair was leaking oil badly. The cheapy oil filter seal had failed - what a mess. He put on a WIX available at the local FLAPS and no more leaks.

Posted by: 63vert ()
Date: February 11, 2019 08:30AM

Lane66m Wrote:
> I just tossed a NAPA filter that the top ring fell
> off when I removed it off the Mouse House 110
> engine.

Napa did have a problem with the 1038 filter for a short time maybe 4-5 years ago. That loose ring was its issue. It was quickly remedied at the factory.

Rockingham, NC

1962 Greenbrier
65 110 4speed

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: February 16, 2019 01:21PM

Just got this from Clarks if there is any interest

Dear Customer,
The following part was NTF or NTFL (notify) and is
now in stock. Please order now if you still need this
part. All prices are each unless
otherwise noted and some supplies may be limited.
Thank You.

PART# CX8148 OIL FILTER-BLUE (WHITE PRINT)-LAST OF AC
PRICE 9.00 WEIGHT 1 lbs 0.0 oz

CLARK'S CORVAIR PARTS, INC.
400 Mohawk Trail
Shelburne Falls, MA 01370
(413)625-9776
(888)267-8247 24 Hr Order Machine
(413)625-8498 Fax
www.corvair.com

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Posted by: j3m ()
Date: February 16, 2019 07:00PM

The Oil Filter Adaptor design that CORVAIR UNDERGROUND pioneered about twenty years ago was a great quality design. It allowed the Spin-On OIL FILTER that most all the Nineties era SATURN cars used. That was one of CORVAIR UNDERGROUND's great parts. The machining and the fit of that billet part was top-notch in every way. It was a no-brainer for me as it allowed an easily obtainable modern oil filter. I liked that very much. As I recall the cost was about $45 when I bought it from CU in 2001.
....That was a superb part. You might wish to track one down if anybody still has one that isn't being used currently. It wouldn't be too difficult to produce assuming that one is a very skilled machinist. The CORSA TECH guide and the Communique tech topics did have similar types of those adaptors and I remember that there was at least one with the detailed "blueprint" spec measurements for how to build such an adaptor..........
.........I don't think you could do better than that billet machined one that Corvair Underground made long ago. You might just wanna try and find one if you can.

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: February 16, 2019 07:07PM

The one manufactured by Ray Redman today is equal in quality to those made in years past by CU or by Clarks. Email Ray (American-pi.com) and inquire about how to purchase one of his products.

[www.american-pi.com]

Al Lane
Ellabell GA

1966 Monza Coupe, 110 hp, 4 Spd
1968 Camaro SS Coupe 350 CI 295+ HP PG
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe, 6 dr, 80 hp car engine, PG
2015 Chevrolet Malibu 2LT
2018 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ Z71 Centennial Edition
1947 Farmall A tractor 15 hp

Posted by: stitch ()
Date: February 16, 2019 07:30PM

I stick with NAPA. The 'Spin-on' filter that I use with my adapter.

[www.amazon.com]
Saw a Cut-away oil filter Demo on Utube, and this seemed to be pretty much 'Tops'!

"If you can't fix it with a Hammer, you have an Electrical problem."
Stitch...
Schertz, Texas.
(Smallish town/burg 17 mi. NE of San Antonio)

!967.. 4th body
8th off the line

Date: February 16, 2019 07:44PM

No time to edit..
FRAM was the Worst in ALL aspects! smoking smiley

Stitch...
Schertz, Texas.

!967.. 4th body
8th off the line

Posted by: 67 airvair ()
Date: February 17, 2019 08:21AM

I know I'm going to get a lot of naysayers on this, been there, done that, but what I find about the one Richard shows in his post is that it is unnecessarily restrictive. It can be greatly improved by a little machining and hand finishing.

Fluid dynamics teaches me that the more tortured the path a fluid has to flow, the more restricted it is, and the less pressure you'll have in the system when the fluid gets to where it's going to. In other words, why does this adapter force the oil traveling down the center passage to go through THREE 90 degree turns just to get through there, when, as you can see by my pictures of a reworked unit, it can have an almost straight shot?

I don't know if it makes any difference on a street driven car, but the rework on this adapter certainly won't hurt.

BTW, I also had the maker of this adapter machine two center pieces with a slightly different thread, so that I can use a PF-25 filter on it. A PF-25 is double the size of any SATURN filter and has an anti-backflow check valve in it. Plus it's about the size and look of a PF-4 Corvair filter.

-Mark

Attachments:

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: February 17, 2019 09:47AM

If I was going to spend the money for a NAPA spin on filter, I would save the adapter cost and just use the NAPA Corvair filter......

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Date: February 17, 2019 10:02AM

Frank DuVal Wrote:
> If I was going to spend the money for a NAPA spin
> on filter, I would save the adapter cost and just
> use the NAPA Corvair filter......

Pain to access horizontal bolt with A/C. Spin-on? Easy Peasey...thumbs up

Stitch...
Schertz, Texas.

!967.. 4th body
8th off the line

Posted by: john.jackson ()
Date: February 17, 2019 10:33AM

I simply don't drive my Corvairs enough miles per year to worry much about oil filters. But I do not skimp on quality oil changes or oil filters.

That said, I try to buy all my parts from Corvair vendors like Clarks, California Corvairs and Corvair one. Simply more important to me to support our suppliers than get the "Walmart" price for what I need/want. Once demand drops, Walmart will drop our products in a heart beat.

Oil, I buy locally. Filters, I buy from Corvair suppliers and gladly pay the freight to help keep them in business.

Posted by: richard1 ()
Date: February 17, 2019 01:09PM

Buying from vendors is good. But sometimes it is a very expensive way. I just ordered some small parts for a friend: $154 for the parts, $25 duties and VAT, $167 shipping.

Restoration in Bolivia
Richard's Mini Pickup
Richard's Corvair
Richard's Renault Dauphine

Selection of the Right Motor Oil for the Corvair
Selection of the right transmission oil for the corvair
How to polish and restore stainless and aluminum trim

Date: February 17, 2019 02:19PM

Stich, if you think you don't have to change all the other gaskets and seals between the filter and engine casting, you are just asking for grief down the road. I know a lot of guys are going to disagree with me and take your side, but experience has taught me better, and tells me that anyone who doesn't is just asking for bad things somewhere down the road.

First off, what's the middle seal made out of? Rubber! What happens to plain rubber O-rings on the pushrod tubes? They harden and then leak. Same is true with the middle seal on that gasket set for the adapters. I've seen it happen. So no matter how leak-free you think your setup is on the outside, it may be leaking like a sieve on the inside, and reducing your oil filter to an ornament.

Second, know what happens with the paper gasket between the adapter and engine casting? It loses its sealing after a time, and in the process of aging, welds itself to the engine casting. The result is that once it begins to leak, no amount of torque on the bolt is going to seal it, and it will HAVE to be replaced. But by then, it's so welded itself to the engine casting that it almost has to be machined or ground out. And to clear it out with the engine still in the car is a nightmare like you never saw.

As I said, been there, done that, don't want to ever do it again. And while some may disagree with me, as is their right, I'll go with what experience has taught me, and it was a bitter lesson.

-Mark

Date: February 17, 2019 03:53PM

Makes sense. SAFE is Always good. I was used to changing oil/filter every 1,000 miles, whether it look dirty on the 'stick' or not. (OCD) I would've thought only external leaks would give away a blown fiber gasket or ring. Dad always said 'Iffin it ain't broke, don't fix it!' Bout ready to change it on my fairly-new 67 Airvair.
I'm thinking on changing the gasket/ring out every 3rd change in the adapter. (3,000 miles) Just to be on the SAFE side.
Thoughts?
smoking smiley

Stitch...
Schertz, Texas.

!967.. 4th body
8th off the line

Date: February 18, 2019 05:11AM

On changing the oil, I was told by an oil company engineer that with detergent oils (and most of them are these days) the oil is supposed to look dirty, even after just a short time, as that means that the oil is keeping the dirt suspended in it, instead of letting it settle onto the engine parts. So you should go with the manufacturer's recommendations. In the case of the Corvair, it was common practice to recommend every 3,000 miles to change both oil and filter.

On changing the adapter seals, I change them every oil change, and even then, the paper outer ring will sometimes start to stick to the engine casting. I never let the inner rubber seal be reused more than once if at all.

One thing that hasn't been addressed yet is whether the rubber and paper gaskets are the correct diameter. I've found that the aforementioned spin-on adapter uses a bastard rubber inner seal, and the clearances between the adapter and factory mating surfaces are a bit off. That is why I made the cutaway engine casting, off one that had been accidentally broken off. I ended up re-machining the adapter but to duplicate the stock 90 degree adapter. Thus I can use the commonly available factory gaskets (or the vendor's equivalent).

Since I have had an air'vair since '71, I've always had to deal with at least the 90 degree adapter and its seal set. I find that the easiest way of extracting the filter is to remove it with the 90 degree adapter on it, then separate them on the bench. Anyone who tries to remove just the filter's bolt is doing it the hard way. I just have to remember to keep the oil filter level,

-Mark

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: February 18, 2019 07:34AM

Use a plastic bag over the filter!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: February 18, 2019 01:59PM

Gee Matt, that takes all the balance skills fun out of it! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

-Mark

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.