Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Add ZDP with this Oil
Posted by: Mjposner ()
Date: February 09, 2019 06:35AM

My Clark's Filter came with ZDP to add, using this oil, would you add?

Valvoline Heavy Duty Diesel 5w-40 (I live in South Florida)

1965 Corvair Corsa 140
Regal red over Red/Black Interior

Mods/Options:
Wood telescoping Steering Wheel
Clock (correct twice a day)
tinted Windshield
4 Speed manual
Rear Ant
passenger side mirror
electric fuel pump
Vintique type 30 rally whels

Attachments:

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Add ZDP with this Oil
Posted by: junkman ()
Date: February 09, 2019 06:45AM

The only way is to research to find a data sheet on the formula, or contact the company and ask what the various levels are. Without that you are just guessing.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodstock CT... Located on the Connecticut / Massachusetts border, approximately 6 miles from the center of Southbridge MA. About 45 minutes from Hartford CT. 1 1/2 hours West of Boston MA. Woodstock CT to Los Angeles CA 2,937.1 miles. 1 Mile as the crow flies to Big Bird's nest.

Posted by: 2ragtops ()
Date: February 09, 2019 06:56AM

Check the lists provided by Richard1 on this site. It will tell you for sure.

Bob Bauer

Show-Me Corvairs

1966 Monza Convert 140 P/G with A/C, plastic wheel with tele-column am-fm posi-traction
1966 Corsa Convert 180 wood wheel tele-column am-fm sport steering posi-traction
1965 Corsa Coupe Crown V8 temporarily red lined for repair
House Springs, Missouri

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: February 09, 2019 07:14AM

5 to 40 seems like a pretty big spread. I may be in "old wives tale" territory but I thought 10/40 was a bit of a stretch. Maybe synthetic is different. I only know enough to be dangerous.

Richard1 is the man for Corvair oil. He tells us what to look for in the specifications rather than a brand recommendation, especially since formulations are constantly changing.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: February 09, 2019 10:06AM

I'm running Rotella T-6 5/40 synthetic. I like it, thin for startup and good oil pressure when the turbo adds some heat.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Posted by: richard1 ()
Date: February 09, 2019 11:19AM

The addition of ZDDP is detrimental to most engines if they use a decent oil, as it does not allow enough cleaning and you end up with too many carbon deposits in the rings and throughout the engine. If you have the analysis of it, and are good at math, you could slightly improve the anti-wear, particularly in high valve spring engines, at the cost of cleanliness, but risk putting too much in and causing damage.

5W-40 synthetic is great for high temp driving, I used it once when I was driving through 110+F, then went back to 10W-30. (I'll be driving through there tomorrow, but in my Grand Cherokee, and the temperature is not supposed to be much over 100ºF - I use 5W-30 in it.)

That oil is not on this list, but I'll be it has a similar additive pack as the Premium Blue 15W-40 on here. You have no need for more than 1200 ppm of zinc, especially with a synthetic.

Restoration in Bolivia
Richard's Mini Pickup
Richard's Corvair
Richard's Renault Dauphine

Selection of the Right Motor Oil for the Corvair
Selection of the right transmission oil for the corvair
How to polish and restore stainless and aluminum trim

Attachments:
Posted by: Mjposner ()
Date: February 09, 2019 04:37PM

I won't add, some lab tests I found online showed between 1200-1700 which is sufficient zinc. I only drive on dry days so always between 70-90 degrees.

1965 Corvair Corsa 140
Regal red over Red/Black Interior

Mods/Options:
Wood telescoping Steering Wheel
Clock (correct twice a day)
tinted Windshield
4 Speed manual
Rear Ant
passenger side mirror
electric fuel pump
Vintique type 30 rally whels

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: February 10, 2019 03:55PM

richard1 advice is good - as always.

Years ago when the ZDDP hysteria broke out I did some reading and found some SAE summaries. Bottom line - too much ZDDP is more detrimental for engines then too little. The major reason for increasing ZDDP was to allow extended oil change intervals of 60's motor oils. It was a good sales promotion - cut your maintenance costs.

As richard1 has stated before - today's motor oils are superior to what was used in the 60's.

Posted by: didget69 ()
Date: February 12, 2019 02:55PM

I'd recommend no additional additives to the oil, unless you are a Chemist & Metallurgist & know what happens when you start concocting your own oil brews...

bnc

Date: February 15, 2019 05:25AM

I run the Rotella t4 10-30 in mine. Its been good, even with a lazy lifter. I don't add zddp as per Richards recommendation.

1961 Corvair 700 Sedan - 3sp - Gasoline Heat - Lowered a bit - Rust in Progress
I live my life 19.5 seconds at a time.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.