Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
OT Lexus Brake Actuator change
Posted by: Layton Curtis ()
Date: February 08, 2019 09:17AM

The brake actuator assembly has failed on my 2008 Lexus. The Dealer wants $2200 to replace it. It looks like it would be simple enough to change, and a new unit cost $1100. or used units go for half that. All the independent shops say it would have to be reprogrammed and they won't work on it. Is this the truth? Anybody got advice? By the way it runs and brakes just fine but the dash is lit up like a Christmas tree.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: OT Lexus Brake Actuator change
Posted by: thumper477 ()
Date: February 08, 2019 10:28AM

What model and engine size?

Posted by: streblerm ()
Date: February 08, 2019 01:08PM

I don’t know where you’re located. If you feel comfortable doing the nuts and bolts and confident in your diagnosis, there are companies that do mobile programming of modules. AS-tech is one that is nationwide.

Date: February 08, 2019 01:25PM

Keep the suggestions coming, $2200 is a chunk of money. it is a 460LS with 4.6liter V8. The dealer made the diagnosis.

Posted by: streblerm ()
Date: February 09, 2019 04:57AM

Layton Curtis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Keep the suggestions coming, $2200 is a chunk of
> money. it is a 460LS with 4.6liter V8. The dealer
> made the diagnosis.

That doesn’t always mean a correct diagnosis. My experience with dealer techs is that unless it is a very common problem or one addressed by a repair bulletin that they are often guessing just like everyone else.

My other experience with dealer techs is that since they work flat rate they aren’t really interested in exploring. Often when they see an older car they see a comeback nightmare. The game becomes how fast can they come up with a believeable repair that will exceed the customers budget so they don’t get stuck with a money losing repair.

If you paid a “diagnostic fee” of roughly one hour of labor then you got the scanner plugged in and probably not much else. This probably pointed to the ABS module. I doubt you got any point to point wiring checks or any other kind of diagnosis.

My point is take the diagnosis with a grain of salt. Yes the brake module may not be working but is it a fuse, corroded plug, broken wire, abs sensor...

Date: February 10, 2019 05:55AM

Thanks for that last bit of info. I will follow up on that.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.