Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
OT, Is 1800 too much to pay for a modern engine swap?
Posted by: moomba32 ()
Date: February 08, 2019 08:40AM

I found out that someone I know paid 1800 labor to swap the engine in an Avalanche. He supplied a junk yard replacement engine. It appears if you never change the oil those LS motors don't run forever. I was thinking this sounds a bit high but I'm out of touch, rarely pay anyone to do work for me.

Don Marlowe
66 Monza 2Dr 140/pg
64 Spyder convertible now, 110/pg
Eutawville SC

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: OT, Is 1800 too much to pay for a modern engine swap?
Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: February 08, 2019 08:44AM

18 hours @ $100.00 an hour = $1800.00.
Sounds about right.

Posted by: Kyle_in_Mich ()
Date: February 08, 2019 08:53AM

That's just under three days at a respectable shop rate. Seems honest to me, consider I would want it done right, not done fast.

CORSA Member
Traverse City,MI
Daily driver- Bicycle
Fun driver/project- 65 Corsa 140/4 speed

Posted by: thumper477 ()
Date: February 08, 2019 09:23AM

We do a lot of engine swaps in our shop.We try to insure while we are doing the work that the vehicle will not come back on a tow truck after a few days.To do so,things like thermostats,water pumps,belts,hoses,maybe radiator are checked and replaced as needed.In many cases the ac system will have to be discharged and refrigerant stored in a 3,000+ dollar ac machine.Spark plugs,wires,cap and rotor are also usually replaced too.Sometimes on junkyard engines there are parts that have to be swapped from the old motor to the new one.(oil pans,valve covers brackets,intake or exhaust manifolds,flywheels etc)This all adds time and money to the bill.Most good shops charge 80-110 per hour.Good shops guarantee their work too and are insured.The old adage applies here..you get what you pay for.

Posted by: rowin4 ()
Date: February 08, 2019 10:11AM

Back in the 70's I used to charge $100. so now that would be about right.

Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: February 08, 2019 11:05AM

18 hours @ $5.55 an hour = $100.00
In 1970 that sounds about right.

Date: February 08, 2019 11:25AM

Alldata shows 12hrs for a straight swap without transferring parts. Honestly, that seems a bit high. In NJ average labor rate is 120$ an hour. I don't know what it is near you.

I agree with thumper, there will be low ball prices, but at what cost?

1961 Corvair 700 Sedan - 3sp - Gasoline Heat - Lowered a bit - Rust in Progress
I live my life 19.5 seconds at a time.

Posted by: Caraholic4life ()
Date: February 08, 2019 12:52PM

It seems to me that anyone being frugal to the point of being cheap, or being dumb enough to neglect oil changes deserves to pay up eventually.

If someone were to pay $50.00 for an oil change, they would only need to skip 36 oil changes.
If the interval was 5,000 miles, that would be around 180,000 miles.
Figure 15,000 miles as an average per year, it would take 12 years.

Figure in the cost of the replacement engine and other necessary parts to do the job and one could argue that regular oil changes are probably worth the cost.

I think I will continue to change the oil in my vehicles on a regular basis.grinning smiley

1962 95 F.C. Van
1965 Monza Coupe
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Posted by: didget69 ()
Date: February 08, 2019 01:00PM

YMMV.

Some junkyards.... Err... 'automobile reclamation facilities' - offer engines that are questionable in regards to their prior maintenance.

- can o' worms...

bnc

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: February 08, 2019 02:34PM

Haven't done it in decades.... but used to..

Buy the used engine and have them put it in! Now you were covered for 90 days!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: moomba32 ()
Date: February 08, 2019 07:48PM

All the explanations make sense, I don't work in the industry, I remember replacing a 305 with a new GM 350, I also installed a new intake carb and distributor on the 350, I know I did it in a weekend, guessing about 10 hours working in the yard, I don't consider myself a mechanic so I would expect someone with tools and skill should be faster. I agree, I'll continue changing oil too.

Don Marlowe
66 Monza 2Dr 140/pg
64 Spyder convertible now, 110/pg
Eutawville SC

Re: OT, for a modern engine swap?
Date: February 09, 2019 02:04AM

Can't. Resist.
Topic header: Is 1800 too much to pay...?

Call 1-800 TOO MUCH - to find out if you've been had. <-"that's a joke, son" smoking smiley

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza 'Vert (SOLD) ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Posted by: vairchet ()
Date: February 09, 2019 11:12AM

Just think, at one time, I used to do this type of work for a couple hundred bucks or less (or free with help from friends). Actually enjoyed working on stuff for others until a small minority of folks would nit-pick and make the entire process unpleasant.

Chet in Ramona

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.