Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
A/C install question
Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: February 06, 2019 08:50AM

I have the long lines and the major components installed. Now it's time to make the short connections which I do not have hose for. Is there a different style barrier hose for crimped connections vs. the barbed/clamped connections our cars use?
I just want to ask for and receive the proper hose.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: A/C install question
Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: February 06, 2019 09:10AM

Crimped also uses a barb so it is basically the same. The OD of the hose just has to match the crimp connector.

Joel
Northlake, TX
4 Ultravans, Lost count at 100 Corvairs...

Posted by: 67 airvair ()
Date: February 06, 2019 09:20AM

I have successfully used barrier hose and the stock barbed pipes with the stock screw clamps. Just be sure you have the clamp tight.

-Mark

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: February 06, 2019 12:05PM

I've used the new EATON crimp fitting and the "barb" is really more of a bump with "O" ring gaskets on each side of the bump. NO sharp edges. They DON'T leak even with R134a.

I haven't found the old style A/C hose without a barrier liner for a while. So as 67airvair said -----.

The issue is the barrier isn't as elastic and can split under pressure at the barb edges. I've heard some sand down the barbs some to remove any sharp edges. Not sure if it works.

Date: February 06, 2019 01:30PM

As another issue, has anyone been able to install Clark's hi/lo pressure switch (C11809) into a stock system?

'29 Ford Model A Tudor
'61 700 Lakewood 110 4 speed
'69 Monza Convert. 140 Auto.
'70 Dodge Challenger R/T 440 4 speed

Been aircooled since 1973
Northwest Ohio

Date: February 07, 2019 08:21PM

Wagonmaster, yes, I have. I had to go to the NAPA dealer and we searched through the fittings catalog for the right fittings, and I hooked it up in the line on one side of the drier in the trunk (a '67 system).

I also used the rewiring of the under-dash harness per my design that includes relays in the system. I can email the wiring diagram to you if you send me your email address (the cutout switch is noted in the diagram.)

-Mark

Date: February 07, 2019 08:51PM

Did you happen to write down the part numbers of the fittings required for the switch install? I already purchased a wiring loom with schematic from you sometime ago. Thanks.

Date: February 08, 2019 09:53AM

To those that are A/C savy, can you use brass fittings in a R134A system?

'29 Ford Model A Tudor

Northwest Ohio

Date: February 08, 2019 02:39PM

It's been some time ago that I bought the fittings at the NAPA store, and I apparently have lost the boxes. But I'm sure a savvy counter man can help you by looking them up in the catalogs.

I used a 90 degree crimp-on fitting on the #8 (13/32") hose coming from under the car and through the trunk floor to mate to the one end of the "T" switch fitting.

The other side of the "T" switch fitting is mated to a straight fitting with a conventional barbed end, into a short section of #8 (13/32") hose, then into the drier.

Hope this helps.

-Mark

Date: February 09, 2019 06:06AM

I drew a blank at the 2 NAPA stores within 45 miles of my home. Savvy countermen that can research a paper catalog appear to be more rare than this fitting. Anyone have any insight on the brass issue?
Mark, you have a private message.

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: February 09, 2019 06:38AM

I would say that if it is a refrigeration fitting, the answer is yes. If just a store bought fitting, I wouldn't. The brass fittings on refrigeration are heavier, and a particular alloy, and they are connected to copper tubing with silver solder.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodstock CT... Located on the Connecticut / Massachusetts border, approximately 6 miles from the center of Southbridge MA. About 45 minutes from Hartford CT. 1 1/2 hours West of Boston MA. Woodstock CT to Los Angeles CA 2,937.1 miles. 1 Mile as the crow flies to Big Bird's nest.

Date: February 09, 2019 08:13AM

If pictures are indeed worth more than words, here is my debacle.

'29 Ford Model A Tudor

Northwest Ohio

Date: February 09, 2019 08:16AM

Wagonmaster, will have to take my fittings back up to my NAPA store and see if he can chase down those numbers again. It'll be a good idea for me to take note for my own paperwork as well. Will let you know what I find out.

-Mark

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: February 09, 2019 10:18AM

It looks to me like the Clark's part was built wrong. Like they put the fittings on the wrong ends.

Joel
Northlake, TX
4 Ultravans, Lost count at 100 Corvairs...

Date: February 09, 2019 10:39AM

Actually, note the threaded parts. Right pipe end, but the threads that are internal should be an external thread, and vice versa.

Besides, I'm putting mine in the middle of the line, not on the drier.

-Mark

Date: February 09, 2019 12:05PM

Ok, just got back from the NAPA store. Here's the low-down:

One fitting is a 90 degree angle pipe with a crimp-on hose connection and is part #406915. It has the female threaded nut on the end, with the o-ring seal.

The straight pipe fitting, with solid male thread and no o-ring seal is a barbed fitting, part #205031. However, it looks to possibly be freshly discontinued.

Both the above use a #8 hose, or 13/32" ID hose.

Its replacement has a crimp-on hose connection and would be used on a #6 (or 5/16" ID) hose, instead of a #8 hose, so different accommodations would have to be made. Apparently, there is no larger hose sizes, either. It's part #405036.

Hope this helps.

-Mark

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.