Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Got patina?
Posted by: thumper477 ()
Date: February 05, 2019 05:42PM

[www.ebay.com] Seller states would make a great rat rod....

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Got patina?
Posted by: MoxyRamone ()
Date: February 05, 2019 05:51PM

I see the rat... Where's the Rod? I personally hate the whole "patina" movement. If you're going to bother fixing the car up, why leave it rusty and dusty.

Ketchup, Mayonnaise, and Mustard... I'll see you in my dreams.

"If you dig it, do it... If you REALLY dig it, do it twice!" - Jim Croce

Posted by: guthrie1068 ()
Date: February 05, 2019 06:07PM

Awwwww geeez, well because rust and dust is a must!! I think that I have a nice car curse, it never fails that when I have a nice shiny car something happens to it. I can't enjoy myself if I'm worried about someone or something scratching or denting it, and, I get a lot of joy watching my kids drive out in my car. I can't imagine enjoying that if it was a really nice car. Plus, I'd say that people still appreciate classics, even rusty and dusty ones. I can like a really nice car, I just can't own one.

Chad Guthrie
Onondaga, MI
'63 convertible

Posted by: 67 airvair ()
Date: February 05, 2019 10:02PM

John, if you're referring to a stock original with patina, the attraction there is that it's an indication that it hasn't been messed with, just taken care of and babied at that. Like the expression goes, it's only original once.

This is opposed to having lead a hard life, not cared for, or been messed with, possibly to the point of damaging how the car looked and felt when it was factory fresh.

The historic value of a stock original is therefore through the roof, as they have that certain feel that no restoration, no matter how perfect, can duplicate. And since we're always losing stock originals all the time, as their numbers keep decreasing due to accidents, misguided restorations, and other things, their scarcity is always increasing. Simply put, they are as close to how they really looked as you'll ever have or get.The ultimate trip back in time. And a little patina acts as witness to that history.

-Mark

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: February 05, 2019 10:38PM

Patina is an oft abused term.
Most people today used it as a synonym for, as John says, a car being "rusty & dusty".
But true Patina is something much more than that.
It is the small signs of use and age on a well cared for and loved piece of Automotive Art that we call a "Car".
A Burnished Master Piece if you will.

To borrow a quote from the Classic Motorsports website, . . .

"Patina is the history of the car writ in the surfaces that we see and interact with.

An old car has been around for a while and stuff has happened to it; it has a history. If it say, belonged to someone famous, it would be their ass that wore out the leather or whose farts seasoned the foam. You paid for that, hence would not want to lose the charm.

If you take that car and restore it with new paint, chrome and interior, you effectively zero the history meter and you get to start all over again. Not a bad thing,just not the same car.

Walk into any garage containing an old British car and you will SMELL the patina. Never to be confused with new car smell."

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
'66 Monza Coupe - 4spd, 140 Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - PG, 140 Daily driver beater
'67 A/C Moredoor Monza - 140 4-spd. driver
non-vair
'04 Dodge Cummins Quad Dualy, approaching 400K
17'Terry

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: February 06, 2019 05:01AM

Hmmmm. Not cannabilized. Right. Where are the tail light/back up lenses, head light assemblies and buckets, distributor, fuel pump, carb tube. This a pay me to take it away. Probably come away in 2 pieces, front half and rear half.

Al Lane
Ellabell, GA 31308

1966 Monza Coupe, 110 hp, 4 Spd
1966 Monza More Door 110 hp, PG
1968 Camaro SS Coupe 350 CI 295+ hp PG
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe, 6 dr, 80 hp car engine, PG
1947 Farmall A tractor 15 hp

Posted by: streblerm ()
Date: February 06, 2019 06:51AM

Patina is only desirable when it’s attached to a more or less complete and usable car. On the east coast I would bet money that car won’t leave that spot in one piece.

Posted by: Jim Stukenborg ()
Date: February 06, 2019 06:57AM

Chad has a point, In the 80's I bought a 66 Monza convert that was a little rusty but had a sweet 140 engine. Had a call at work one day. The caller wanted to join my swim club. The 66 was in the parking with the top down and the rain was pouring down. I told him not to worry, two turns and all the water on the floor boards will be gone. Sure enough, I came our a hour later, the sun was out and the seats were pretty dry. And two turns later the water stopped sloshing. Jim

Posted by: Nickshu ()
Date: February 06, 2019 07:04AM

Rust is not patina. Period.

Nick
1964 Monza Spyder Convertible #435 - Rotisserie restored - SOLD ON BRING A TRAILER 4/30/2019 - Check out my restoration thread here: [corvaircenter.com]
Thanks to all the awesome CCF, CF, COG, and CORSA members who helped me with the restoration!
Other fun stuff - Porsche 911 GT3 - Trailered track monster for HPDE and Autocross events.
Northern Colorado, USA

Posted by: Nickshu ()
Date: February 06, 2019 07:04AM

Rust is not patina. It's just rust.

Nick
1964 Monza Spyder Convertible #435 - Rotisserie restored - SOLD ON BRING A TRAILER 4/30/2019 - Check out my restoration thread here: [corvaircenter.com]
Thanks to all the awesome CCF, CF, COG, and CORSA members who helped me with the restoration!
Other fun stuff - Porsche 911 GT3 - Trailered track monster for HPDE and Autocross events.
Northern Colorado, USA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2019 07:04AM by Nickshu.

Posted by: 67 airvair ()
Date: February 06, 2019 09:25AM

American Mel, you hit the nail with your head, er, on the head. grinning smiley

Seriously though, your posting of what patina is is nothing short of a masterpiece!

-Mark

Posted by: toms73novass ()
Date: February 06, 2019 11:08AM

Nickshu Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Rust is not patina. Period.

x 200000!

-Tom

63' Monza Spyder Convertable (in process) MY Build Thread
65' Monza MY Build Thread
73' NovaSS 454 Big block
86' BMW 325es
98' Dodge 2500 12v Cummins Diesel with 1200 lb torque!
98' VW Jetta TDI, for daughter
01' Audi Allroad Stage 3 twin turbo

NFCC
Grand Island, NY

Posted by: vairchet ()
Date: February 06, 2019 11:42AM

American Mel,

What I decipher from your message, the Carl Sagan car isn't original (using an example here). It's just merely a restored car. Is this correct? Is it nothing more than a collage of non-original assembled parts from various donors and vendors? Does this mean the car has little value, other than it once belonged to someone of notable stature?

Documented history still exists from the time it was driven off the showroom floor to it's restoration of a dedicated individual. Still the same car as far as I'm concerned, restored or not.

Chet in Ramona

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: February 06, 2019 03:32PM

No Chet,
That is not what I was saying at all.
Notice that the part you chose to see was just a portion of a quote from another source.
While I do not fully agree with the author in total, it was the description of what patina IS that I was trying to share.
I understand the "It is only original once", but I disagree that restoration of a historical vehicle erases all of its value.
I am sorry that I did not explain this in my post, but it was the last thing I did last night, and I was late for bed.
I thought the author wrote a very picturesque description of "Patina" and just felt compelled to share it.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
'66 Monza Coupe - 4spd, 140 Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - PG, 140 Daily driver beater
'67 A/C Moredoor Monza - 140 4-spd. driver
non-vair
'04 Dodge Cummins Quad Dualy, approaching 400K
17'Terry

Posted by: viewmaster ()
Date: February 06, 2019 03:33PM

Yup!!

Mike
'65 '500' Sedan 110 PG
'65 Monza Sedan turbo'd 110 SU conversion
Fresno, CA

Attachments:

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.