Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Want Really Quiet Exhaust
Posted by: cschneider53 ()
Date: February 03, 2019 07:56AM

What’s the best exhaust setup if I (ok, maybe the real boss) want it really quiet. I have a 140 with a 260 cam and the turbo exhaust. It’s a bit loud for me and really grating for the better half.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Want Really Quiet Exhaust
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: February 03, 2019 08:17AM

Stock 140 mufflers..... and a Crossover / Balance tube.

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: beenzo2since71 ()
Date: February 03, 2019 10:04AM

MATT , this is al from wi., do you think a balance tube ahead of the turbo mufflers would help for mpg, thanks for your input. al

Date: February 03, 2019 10:19AM

Doubt any improvement in MPG... but surely won't hurt!

..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: beenzo2since71 ()
Date: February 03, 2019 10:34AM

ok matt, how about this idea??? using a co 2 meter to tune our vairs , al like a 120 v household type ?

Posted by: vairchet ()
Date: February 03, 2019 10:38AM

Seriously doubt fuel mileage will improve with a balance tube installed between either side head pipe, certainly will dampen exhaust pulses (i.e., muffled exhaust).

Chet in Ramona

Posted by: ken ()
Date: February 03, 2019 11:05AM

My rampside has a single exhaust and is really quiet . It is a round muffler and is about 18 inches long and about 6 in in diameter . I like the quiet muffler because with the windows down at 55 mph all I hear is the wind . Now, my 500 66 coupe has dual exhaust with short dual mufflers is a little noisy and I like that too .

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: February 03, 2019 11:43AM

Years ago I found a set of NOS 140HP dual mufflers and installed them on one car. They are QUIET. Just slightly more noticeable than a single exhaust STOCK exhaust 110HP.

My second 140HP car got the Clarks pipes and muffler. Note Clarks recommends their larger than stock tail pipe off the muffler. IT IS larger than stock exhaust pipe off the muffler. This setup produces a nice idle deep sound with out the higher RPM drone on the highway some duals make. On the highway the sound is not intrusive.

If you want a quiet system I'd suggest the Clark's mufflers with their SMALLER diameter pipe off the muffler - yes they sell it, but recommend the larger pipe. The doubt the smaller pipe would impact performance on a 260 cam 140HP except at higher RPM above the normal driving RPM range.

BTW - buying the "assemble yourself" system drops shipping costs and allows for more "adjusting" during installation. Note the pipe walls are thick and no amount of clamp tightening would seal them. Once you get them in place a shop can weld up the tube connections.

Date: February 03, 2019 12:02PM

beenzo2since71 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ok matt, how about this idea??? using a co 2 meter
> to tune our vairs , al like a 120 v household type ?
======================================================

I don't see how that could work... but for for it and let us know!

Posted by: Vairismo ()
Date: February 03, 2019 05:19PM

Cross over pipes may increase lower end torque with hotter cams. That's how I've read about them in relation to V8s anyway.
On Corvairs the effect likely much less noticeable due to the engines being primarily torque biased IMO.

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: February 03, 2019 06:40PM

Household CO2 meter?

If you mean a carbon monoxide detector, that is CO.

CO2 is carbon dioxide and is about .04% of the air we breathe. Plants need it to make oxygen.

Most recent household CO detectors will not read below 50 ppm of CO, since it is below the "need to know" level.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: playerpage ()
Date: February 05, 2019 08:42PM

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: February 05, 2019 09:30PM

I have a pair of NOS GM 140 welded exhaust pipes and mufflers if you have any interest in them. They have been gathering dust in my cellar since 1985.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodstock CT... Located on the Connecticut / Massachusetts border, approximately 6 miles from the center of Southbridge MA. About 45 minutes from Hartford CT. 1 1/2 hours West of Boston MA. Woodstock CT to Los Angeles CA 2,937.1 miles. 1 Mile as the crow flies to Big Bird's nest.

Posted by: vairsUPnorth ()
Date: February 06, 2019 08:15PM

In order to get real quiet I think you need to have a local muffler shop fabricate a large pipe [equivalent diameter to 140 U-tubes] crossover into a single muffler. Have the pipes collect into a 2" elbow to feed into a 2" inlet/outlet universal fit muffler. The Walker Sound FX series have served me well. Have them bend a 2" elbow for the outlet and cut the slant tip like the originals.

[corvaircenter.com]

Dale Dewald
Hancock, MI

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: February 06, 2019 08:23PM

vairsUPnorth Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In order to get real quiet I think you need to
> have a local muffler shop fabricate a large pipe
> crossover into a single muffler. Have the pipes
> collect into a 2" elbow to feed into a 2"
> inlet/outlet universal fit muffler. The Walker
> Sound FX series have served me well. Have them
> bend a 2" elbow for the outlet and cut the slant
> tip like the originals.

If she is ALWAYS the passenger, then you might go the totally unconventional route.
Do as stated above, but run it on the DRIVERS side!
Put that sound generator as FAR from her as possible.
Yes, it is slightly tighter on that side, but the noise level for her will be greatly improved, she will not have to hear it reverberating off buildings parked cars, and any other solid objects that you pass.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
'66 Monza Coupe - 4spd, 140 Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - PG, 140 Daily driver beater
'67 A/C Moredoor Monza - 140 4-spd. driver

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.