Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Stuck solenoid
Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: February 02, 2019 09:17PM

Same, changed one on my FC while it was parked at a curb in downtown Richmond one night long ago. One way street, so I was lucky it failed when I was parked with the left tire at the curb! Could not have happened that way on a two way street.

Nose failed not the usual way, U-joint broke as I was leaving the parking place, axle somehow hit starter and snapped the nose. It was a 60 nose, so the solenoid hung low. Got a ride back to the shop for another starter and a U-joint assembly.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: fred bagnall ()
Date: February 02, 2019 09:31PM

I fully agree with both of you . It is in a relatively easy spot to get to once you have the tire removed. I might have to remove the heater hose ,but other than that it beats lying on the ground. Hopefully the weather will cooperate at least for a little while and the removal will proceed without a hitch. Thanks to everyone and I will update with my findings .

Fredsmileys with beer

64 Greenbrier std -110, 4spd,barn find on the road again after 46 year hiatus.
66 Turbo Corsa, 180hp,posi-trac, quick steering HD suspension,AM-FM-multiplex,soft-Ray glass all around
Floridian currently residing in Nor Cal

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: February 02, 2019 10:14PM

Test the starter while in there before pulling.... just metal between Batt. cable and "S" stud. / purple wire.

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: February 03, 2019 07:41AM

Will do , your right. I will take a screwdriver and just bridge between the battery post and purple wire or connection point and see what happens, if anything

66 Turbo Corsa, 180hp,posi-trac, quick steering HD suspension,AM-FM-multiplex,soft-Ray glass all around

Date: February 05, 2019 07:49AM

Weather has not been cooperating around here lately. Between work and the weather I have been at a standstill. I did manage to get the starter to spin over with Matt's suggestion by disconnecting the starter harness in the engine compartment and using a jumper wire from battery to the purple wire, but it worked intermittently . I have acquired a solenoid and I am waiting on an NOS ignition switch to arrive from my shop in Florida. Don't know if I will need the switch yet, but I want to have all bases covered for when I have the opportunity to finalize my troubleshooting . Thanks again for everyone's help.
Fred

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: February 05, 2019 07:50AM

Good news... Most likely the culprit! Many add a relay..see our FAQ's

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: February 05, 2019 07:51AM

You're right Matt. Definitely something I need to consider.

Date: February 08, 2019 03:34PM

I wanted to update this thread with its conclusion, now that I have fixed the problem. Like I said before I was able to get it to crank intermittently but not all of the time. I received my NOS ignition switch from Florida and installed that and the starter did not stay engaged when I started the engine. But the starter was still not functioning properly all of the time .I installed the new solenoid and both systems function as they should. I am still a little baffled as to which system went first. Initially the ignition switch started smoking and the starter stayed engaged when the engine started. My assumption is that the ignition stayed engaged in the crank mode and partially fried my solenoid. My solenoid was not working all of the time when tested on and off of the starter. Either way it works as it should and all is well. I am still on the fence if I should install separate starter relay to prevent future issues. It worked flawlessly for over 50 years without one. Thank you all for your insight and guidance.
Fredsmileys with beer

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: February 08, 2019 10:21PM

I wouldn't add the extra failure point of another solenoid. Like you said it worked for a long time and there are plenty of others that are still working. I only have one with an extra relay for the starter and only because it came that way. I'll probably remove it at some point.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, Lost count at 100 Corvairs...

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: February 09, 2019 02:22AM

After going through an ignition switch failure myself, I intend to take the heavy current load off the $25 ignition switch with a $5 relay. Mounting it in the engine compartment for easy access to jump or replace in time of its failure is more acceptable. Changing a switch in the dash is not as easy as it looks for older people.

Al Lane
Ellabell, GA 31308

1966 Monza Coupe, 110 hp, 4 Spd
1966 Monza More Door 110 hp, PG
1968 Camaro SS Coupe 350 CI 295+ hp PG
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe, 6 dr, 80 hp car engine, PG
1947 Farmall A tractor 15 hp

Date: February 09, 2019 05:10AM

You sure have that right Al. Positioning myself upside down on the drivers seat and coiling my fat hands under the dash with all of the other obstaincles that are up there to remove and reinstall the switch wasn't as easy as it was on my 700 model ten years ago. In addition Chevrolet gives you just enough wire in the harness to make replacement an interesting job.confused smiley

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: February 09, 2019 05:32AM

Fred:

I carry a jumper wire for my fuel pump relay. No doubt I will carry one for the start circuit relay also, if it is different. Probably will be the same, if I xo.it right.

Al Lane
Ellabell, GA 31308

1966 Monza Coupe, 110 hp, 4 Spd
1966 Monza More Door 110 hp, PG
1968 Camaro SS Coupe 350 CI 295+ hp PG
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe, 6 dr, 80 hp car engine, PG
1947 Farmall A tractor 15 hp

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.