Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
2019 CORVAIR PERFORMANCE WORKSHOP !!!! WE NEED PRESENTERS!smiling bouncing smiley
Posted by: Allan Lacki ()
Date: January 17, 2019 06:26AM

2019 CORVAIR PERFORMANCE WORKSHOP !!!!
WE NEED PRESENTERS!

Mike Hall, CORSA / CPF President, would like to offer the Corvair Museum in Decatur as the location for the 2019 Corvair Performance Workshop. He confirmed that the museum is available and the hotel and caterer for last-year's museum grand opening will be happy to have us, all at reasonable prices. In addition, a fully-equipped service garage owned by a Corvair enthusiast is about a mile away if we need to put a Corvair up on a lift for whatever reason. The tentative dates are Friday and Saturday, March 1 and 2.

Tracy Leveque, Performance Corvair Group President, would like to move forward with Mike's offer providing that we gather enough support. However, there is much work to be done. We'll need local volunteers to plan the floor layout, help with table setups and borrow laptops and audio-visual equipment, etc., not to mention a contingency plan for inclement weather.

Most of all, we need folks to make presentations at the workshop, and we need commitments from them NOW. Each presentation should be about a half-hour long (more or less) and concern some aspect of Corvair performance. Speed equipment, handling, engine swaps, weight reduction, safety and more are all great topics, and can range from street, strip, autocross, road racing and off-road applications.

You get the idea. We're looking for new material, not presentations that have been done before, and we need enough material to keep the audience engaged for the better part of a day.

We all have a story to tell. If you'd like to do a presentation at the 2019 Performance Workshop, make your intentions known ASAP! Write-up a few sentences about your topic, specify your audio-visual equipment needs, and give us an estimate of the amount of time you'll need. Send this info to Tracy Leveque (libgan2004@yahoo.com) and me (redbat01@verizon.net) and we'll let you know if we can accommodate you. (Chances are, we will!)

Space is tight at the museum because it's already filled with Corvairs on display. I don't know if we can bring additional cars inside and I don't know how many vendor setups we can accommodate. These things need to be worked-out. But we'll have access to the dining area where there's enough room to spread out for the audience.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 2019 CORVAIR PERFORMANCE WORKSHOP !!!! WE NEED PRESENTERS!smiling bouncing smiley
Posted by: MonzaDave ()
Date: January 17, 2019 07:30AM

Allan,

In the past, I've volunteered to do a presentation on the design and build of my "Corvair GT". Tracy had "pencilled me in" for such a presentation, but for one reason or another, it has never happened. I would not be able to do such a presentation this year due to the short lead time and other commitments. However, I'd be willing to do one in the future -- especially if the workshop is relocated to the Corvair Museum. Aspects of the design and build I could cover:

-- Drivetrain
-- Suspension and steering
-- Electronics and instrumentation
-- Interior
-- Soundproofing
-- Audio
-- How did it all work out

The objective was a period correct performance GT, so not all the above items are race-car-appropriate.

Dave Keillor
Rochester, MN

Re: 2019 CORVAIR PERFORMANCE WORKSHOP !!!! WE NEED PRESENTERS!smiling bouncing smiley
Posted by: oldqmguy ()
Date: January 17, 2019 08:56AM

Allan,

I did a presentation at the last Performance Workshop on electrical stuff (my 'area of expertise').

I have installed a new Custom Instrument Panel in my '67 Monza and would like to present a paper on this and what instrumentation is available now.

This will depend on the date. I think the Corvair Museum is a great place to do this.

Keep us up-to-date on this and let me know if I can help.

Thanks!

Dale cool smiley

Dale E. Smiley CPBE
Life Member The Society of Broadcast Engineers
RETIRED Broadcast Engineer
CERTIFIED CORVAIR NUT
CORSA/Circle City Corvairs/Corvair Performance Group
Avon, Indiana
WB9SFF
1967 4-Door Monza PG!

Date: January 17, 2019 09:30AM

Hi Dale E. Smiley,

Your topic is perfect!

It looks like the workshop will take place on either March 1 or March 2 (or maybe both). Can you make it then?

If so, write-up a few sentences about your topic, specify your audio-visual equipment needs, and give us an estimate of the amount of time you'll need. Send this info to Tracy Leveque (libgan2004@yahoo.com) and me (redbat01@verizon.net).

Tracy is the real boss. At this point, I"m just spreading the word, but I want to keep tabs on whether or not we can pull this off.

Al Lacki

Date: January 17, 2019 09:59AM

Hi Allan,

At this point it seems that I can make it on March 1st and 2nd. Probably use Friday the 1st as a 'travel day' with the Workshop taking place on Saturday the 2nd?

Because I am 'always updating' the Monza I am not sure I will bring it although I would like to show off the new display!

I live in Avon, IN (just west of Indianapolis on US36) so it 'seems' to be a straight shot West!

I will put a little paper together on the topic and get it off to you and Tracy.

Hopefully we will have better weather than the "Snowmegeddon" that is forecast for this Saturday! eye rolling smiley

Dale cool smiley

Dale E. Smiley CPBE
CERTIFIED CORVAIR NUT
Avon, Indiana
WB9SFF
1967 4-Door Monza PG!

Posted by: ral1963 ()
Date: January 17, 2019 10:12AM

I don't have anything to present but I can be scheduled to help setup or take down on Thursday / Sunday.

I'm not local, but I am also not that far of a drive.

Rick Loving
Corvair historian & chronicler of useless facts
CORSA
Performance Corvair Group
Chicagoland Corvair Enthusiasts

RAL1963@COMCAST.NET
Just south of Chicago IL

Current Ride
63 Sprint Vert 140/4sp

Past Rides
66 Turbo Coupe 180/4sp
60 700 Sedan 80hp PG
63 Monza Vert 102hp 4 spd
63 Monza Coupe 140hp 4 spd
63 700 Sedan 80hp 3 spd
64 Monza Vert 110hp 4 spd
64 Monza Coupe 95hp 3 spd
64 Monza Sedan 110hp PG
65 500 Coupe 95hp 4 spd
65 Monza Coupe 110hp PG
65 Corsa Coupe 140hp 4 spd
68 Monza Vert 140hp 3 spd

Posted by: v8vair ()
Date: January 17, 2019 10:26AM

The BS sessions on Friday and Saturday night are worth the trip alone smiling smiley Mike

Date: January 26, 2019 06:31AM

UPDATE! We've moved the dates to April 5 & 6!

Why? The March 1 & 2 dates didn't provide much lead time and several folks expressed concern about severe winter weather in early March. We're hoping the new early-April dates will be better for you!

YES! We're still looking for volunteers to do presentations at the workshop, not to mention vendors, too! Please step-up! smiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: 67 airvair ()
Date: January 26, 2019 07:05AM

Allan,

Horray! Info at last.

And on a personal basis, the April dates may work out better with my accountant, after losing both heat pumps and my computer last summer. Just not sure about whether it'll crimp me on my project car. Yes, it's still in battleship gray, still don't know when I'll get it home, and the longer it goes on, the less time I'll have to get it together in time for convention. And San Diego is too far away in distance as well as time to consider viable. So it's this year or never. Its completion will depend on what I'll be able to take in before convention.

That said, if at all possible, I'd like to attend. I could bring an automatic trans floor shift conversion kit with me, as well as a complete, original Ansen kit that I'd like to donate to the museum, if they would display it.

Keep us posted as to time, hotel reservation/cost, and other details.

-Mark

Date: January 26, 2019 07:09AM

Hi Mark,

That's good news!

If you could bring your Powerglide floor shifter to the workshop for display (and perhaps a short talk) that would be wonderful.

I can't guarantee that the Corvair Museum has room for them as permanent displays. I'll forward your message to Mike Hall and Brian Nicholson. They take care of the permanent exhibits at the museum.

Al

Al

Posted by: ral1963 ()
Date: January 26, 2019 08:46AM

Boo.... :-)

April 5th and 6th fall on my work weekend...I am on a rotating schedule and work every other FRI, SAT, SUN...

Rick Loving
Corvair historian & chronicler of useless facts
CORSA
Chicagoland Corvair Enthusiasts

RAL1963@COMCAST.NET
Just south of Chicago IL

Current Ride
63 Sprint Vert 140/4sp

Past Rides
66 Turbo Coupe 180/4sp
60 700 Sedan 80hp PG
63 Monza Vert 102hp 4 spd
63 Monza Coupe 140hp 4 spd
63 700 Sedan 80hp 3 spd
64 Monza Vert 110hp 4 spd
64 Monza Coupe 95hp 3 spd
64 Monza Sedan 110hp PG
65 500 Coupe 95hp 4 spd
65 Monza Coupe 110hp PG
65 Corsa Coupe 140hp 4 spd
68 Monza Vert 140hp 3 spd

Posted by: v8vair ()
Date: January 26, 2019 09:04AM

Thats the weekend after the SVRA vintage race in Atlanta and two weeks before the Mitty, cant do all three :/ Mike

Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: January 27, 2019 05:52AM

Al and Mike, Please keep in mind that this is the PERFORMANCE Workshop! Please keep the theme as the name implies.

All presentations should be towards some kind of performance enhancements not ordinary mods that anyone might do to PG cars, sorry Mark.

If the theme is not kept to performance items this might keep the name but the racers will stop coming and you will end up with just another gathering of people.

This is supposed the PERFORMANCE WORKSHOP, please remember the theme.

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Date: January 27, 2019 06:47AM

Hi Ken,

Thanks for your comments and thank you for signing up for the workshop.

Some of the big-name SCCA and vintage car racers opted out from the beginning when we were planning to do the workshop on March 1 &2. So we'll have a more-diverse group of presentations by necessity. And if we're lucky, this will bring in a bigger audience. Who knows? Please hang-in there with us.

Al

Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: January 27, 2019 07:30AM

vairmech Wrote:

> If the theme is not kept to performance items this
> might keep the name but the racers will stop
> coming and you will end up with just another
> gathering of people.
> This is supposed the PERFORMANCE WORKSHOP, please
> remember the theme.

Well, that sure makes the decision for the members of our club on whether to attend alot easier.

Date: January 27, 2019 09:38AM

vairmech Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Al and Mike, Please keep in mind that this is the
> PERFORMANCE Workshop! Please keep the theme as the
> name implies.
>
> All presentations should be towards some kind of
> performance enhancements not ordinary mods that
> anyone might do to PG cars, sorry Mark.
>
> If the theme is not kept to performance items this
> might keep the name but the racers will stop
> coming and you will end up with just another
> gathering of people.
>
> This is supposed the PERFORMANCE WORKSHOP, please
> remember the theme.

There's a fine line between "ordinary" mods and "performance" mods. I'm not sure where my mods fall. My goal was to build a Corvair GT, but most of what I did would likely not be of much interest to a racer. All of what I did was aimed at a road car, and is not much use on a race car. I sense there isn't a ground swell of interest in the Corvair as a GT car, so perhaps the workshop should be called the "Racers Workshop". I can learn something from the racers, but I don't think they can learn much from me.

Dave Keillor
Rochester, MN

Posted by: cooterr ()
Date: January 27, 2019 10:37AM

I would like to see a workshop that also included items that improve our cars for street use.

I understand where Ken is coming from but having hosted the "Performance Workshop" in Indianapolis for five years, our largest attendance years involved things like Ted Browns fuel injection, engine swaps to Subaru, Honda, V8's, disk brakes, air conditioning.

These subjects aren't strictly handeling and power but if these items are not there you will have your racers and autocrossers but not much else. The last workshop had 27 people attend. If this is what the racers want, let the "Performance Corvair Group" do the hosting and planning. It is a lot of work.

Why can't it be all things.

Just my 2 cents

Tom Miller
Circle City Corvairs
Corsa

Posted by: 67 airvair ()
Date: January 27, 2019 10:50AM

Ken,

As far as the floor shift conversion goes, you have to remember that it was inspired by the Ansen product for EM's. Ansen is a well-known speed shifter company, and that is what they sold it as, a speed shifter conversion.

The difference in theirs and the one I manufacture for Clark's is that Ansen had no detent between low and drive, so that the car could easily been kept in low then quickly shoved into high gear. With mine, I made it easily adaptable to any application, and that includes the fact that one could simply remove the detent between low and high. The fact that it is applicable to other uses only enhances its value. Besides, if I brought it, it could easily take all but about 10 minutes to explain, then let the audience play with the demo model.

And as for the original Ansen kit, it takes up all of 2 square feet (or could) once it's properly mounted for display. It can and should be an interactive display, something everyone can enjoy playing with. Its value is as not only a rare relic from 50+ years ago, but an educational item as well as a play toy for sparking the interest of the young. It helps illustrate just how far some aftermarket makers would go in order to appeal to owners of the new and innovative compact car from Chevrolet. Why, even J.C.Witney carried as much as 2-4 pages crammed with COovair-specific merchandise from all sorts of companies large and small.

I also have a whole binder crammed full of advertisements and sales literature on everything up to and including kit cars, and performance items for the Corvair from back in the day. This was big business, and the Corvair was riding at the top of the wave sweeping the country. I'm sure there are those who would like and appreciate seeing such historical information.

So let me know if it would contribute to the Workshop. And to the museum displays.

-Mark

Date: January 27, 2019 11:04AM

Perhaps the "sponsor(s)" should put together a paragraph describing the workshop's audience and content?

Dave Keillor
Rochester, MN

Date: January 27, 2019 11:41AM

I agree, the Performance Workshop is for those who want to get the 'most' out of their Corvairs for various Racing venues, but it also is open to those who want to improve their Corvair but not set a world speed record at the Salt Flats, be the Top Dog at the NHRA National Drags, or be the fastest car on the SCCA Road Courses!

I have attended the last six Workshops and presented a 'paper' on electrical upgrades and maintenance at the last one in Bowling Green, Ky. These meetings have always been fun and I have learned a lot of stuff I have been able to use on my personal "street Corvairs!" Meeting fellow Corvair enthusiasts and being in the "bull sessions" are very enjoyable.

My presentation this year will be on Instrumentation, which applies to both Race and Street Corvairs, along with the latest in wiring and trouble shooting Corvair specific electrical systems. These are the areas least covered by GM or "How To" books. I have a ton of Corvair manuals, books, reprints and an autographed copy of The Classic Corvair by my late friend Bob Helt. These contain a wealth of information on engines, suspensions, brakes, windows, body's, transmissions, tires, heaters, etc. The smallest sections are for electrical systems and Instrumentation. I hope to correct that, beginning with my 'dive' into Instrumentation, and electrical maintenance, which seem to be a mystery to many Corvair owners.

Anyway, I think the items I have seen that will be covered apply to a wide variety of Corvair owners and I hope we can put this together.

JMHO!

Dale cool smiley

PS - It gives me an excuse to visit the Corvair Museum!

Dale E. Smiley CPBE
CERTIFIED CORVAIR NUT
Avon, Indiana
WB9SFF
1967 4-Door Monza PG!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.