Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
A New Internet Collector Car Scam - Beware!
Date: January 16, 2019 09:42AM

I was asked to provide some local help regarding a Corvair advertised online Which a guy (W.T) in another country was interested in.
He made an inquiry to an ad on USclassifieds4all.com

Here is the "sellers" response:
Would you like to see more pictures? The car was fully restored 5 years ago, frame off restoration. Everything is working properly. Is free to rust, pets, smoke and accidents. The paint is flawless no dents or cracks and the chrome is like new. Was kept only inside. Mechanical no problems. Underneath very clean no rust or leaks. On the interior everything is working properly and is very clean.
I'm glad that you are still interested and maybe we can wrap a deal. The car belonged to my father which unfortunately passed away two months ago. Because I have a busy schedule and I am unavailable for the next months I have settled everything through a transport company. They offer e-scrow service so this transaction will go straight for our peace of mind. Now the car is sealed in Spokane, WA at a storage depot ready for delivery. The car will come with clear title, owner's manuals and two set of keys. For your satisfaction the company offer 7 days for inspection period from the moment you receive the car at your location. During this time you can check the car with your mechanic or do whatever you want ( of course without damaging the car ). If by any reason the vehicle doesn't pass your testing period the company will refund your money in 2-3 business days and the shipping back will be my concern but I am sure that you will love it from the first sight because is in same condition as in pictures. If you are a genuine buyer, I can arrange shipping to Netherlands for $1,400 extra. They will handle the transportation and the importation process and will bring the car out to your door.
If you want to move forward please contact me back so we can get the ball rolling. Don't let this beauty go away !!
Thank you,
Roger Cooper| Power Solutions Engineer | Oil industry company

I replied to W.T. that I'd be glad to assist, but Do NOT send any money to anyone. Buying a vehicle from the internet is always a challenge.
Certainly you want to find someone qualified to inspect it before taking any further steps. That is something we can help as best we can, since we have Corvair enthusiasts in many areas of North America. But NEVER send money to an unknown "escrow" "broker" or "transportation" services agent or "company" unless they have been thoroughly checked out. And only after the vehicle has been inspected and it's location and legal status verified.

Just reading "Roger Cooper's" reply was a big Red Flag to me. Several suspicious statements and the "hurry up" send money now, was certainly the brightest Red.
Looking a bit later on the internet I found that "Roger Cooper" is one name used in other SCAMS recently. An online search will turn up a couple. I'm sure there are others out there. The USClassifieds4all website is a FRONT with fake ads created from legit ads posted elsewhere.
Sadly, Roger Cooper is a real employee of Chevron that is featured on one of their online highlights of their Power Solutions Engineers! The b@stards have stolen his online reputation!

BEWARE and please pass this on to anyone you know looking on the internet for a classic car. Especially for those outside the USA wanting a cool American Classic. It would really be a bad situation for them. Naturally they are wanting to move on a "deal" quickly and an "escrow" sounds safe. Don't Believe IT!!

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza 'Vert (SOLD) ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: A New Internet Collector Car Scam - Beware!
Posted by: Allan Lacki ()
Date: January 16, 2019 10:06AM

Hi Danny,

Thank you for researching this and bringing it to our attention.

The person who was nearly victimized is a fellow CORSA member from the Netherlands. It was just by luck that you, as a CORSA Director, became involved and saved him from what-could-have-been a financial loss. His membership in CORSA certainly paid off.

I believe you also found the same scammer trying to use a Studebaker Avanti as bait for a fraudulent deal.

Al Lacki
thumbs up

Posted by: grubin ()
Date: January 16, 2019 10:33AM

Very important lesson Many of us have been burned once in awhile The great thing about the Corvair family is that there is most likely someone close by and willing to look over a car to be sure a Corvair family member is protected The other is only buying from our Corvair family A member in a club is always preferred

Date: January 16, 2019 11:31AM

Here's a Thread on the Studebaker Driver's Forum about this SCAM

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza 'Vert (SOLD) ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Posted by: didget69 ()
Date: January 16, 2019 11:45AM

I have no problem sending payment to strangers.

[encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com]

bnc

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: January 16, 2019 11:53AM

This on going scam is not just for classic cars. I wanted to buy a modern car recently. The "person" (thief) claimed they were just deployed in the military and at the time was in a far away place. The vehicle sale was being done by a 3rd party escrow company and the vehicle was in a storage building so an inspection was not permitted until $$$ was sent to this 3rd party. I reported it to C
list. I then realized this same scam was on multiple other sites. And YES, it almost sounded too good to be true.

Date: January 16, 2019 12:14PM

True. I'm at work offshore on a rig. I'm a pilot and unavailable most of the time, We are on an archaeological site in Mongolia, I'm on a Container ship....
I'm in a box under the bridge and don't have reliable connection....
Father just died, getting a divorce, moving to Antarctica...

All sorts of great reasons for you to pay-up, then we'll tell you where go!

Posted by: moomba32 ()
Date: January 16, 2019 04:19PM

It's not new, just a variation, you can lose money on all kinds of things. I usually catch it in the ad but occasionally I don't until the return email comes.

Don Marlowe
66 Monza 2Dr 140/pg
64 Spyder convertible now, 110/pg
Eutawville SC

Posted by: cyclemikey ()
Date: January 17, 2019 03:01PM

The biggest red flag, by far, is that the "seller" is clearly and obviously not a native speaker of English. There are so many instances of incorrect grammar and odd phrasing that it'd be hard to list them all.

There's nothing inherently wrong with that, except that that's not who he purports to be.

Mikey
on the mighty Millicoma in
Coos Bay, Oregon

'64 Monza coupe
waaay too much other stuff to list

Posted by: WarEagle91 ()
Date: March 12, 2019 07:57AM

I received this from "Roger Cooper" yesterday. Feel free to blow up his email at classicspeed77@gmail.com.

Have seen this name posted ALL OVER various sites as a scammer dating back to 2012. Is there anything someone can do to take this person down???

----------------------------------------

Hello Grant,

I have attached a full set of pictures for you. Please check them.
I'm glad that you are still interested and maybe we can wrap a deal. The reason of sale is that we are trying to save our vintage furniture restoring and manufacturing business from foreclosure by liquidating some assets and we need the money fast, we also have a boat for sale and some wood crafting machinery. Priced for a quick sale. Due to the nature of my work I am unavailable for the next months so I have arranged everything through a transport company. They offer Surety Bond services so this transaction will go straight for our peace of mind. Now the car is sealed in Proctor, MN at a storage depot ready for delivery. The car will come with clear title, owner's manuals and two set of keys. For your satisfaction the company offer 7 days for inspection period from the moment you receive the car at your location. During this time you can check the car with your mechanic or do whatever you want (of course without damaging the car). If by any reasons the vehicle will not pass your inspection, the company will refund your money in 2-3 business days and the shipping back will be my concern. I am sure that you will love it from the first sight because is in same condition as in pictures, even better. If you are a genuine buyer, I can deliver the car anywhere in the States with no extra cost for you, I have a big discount from them.
If you want to move forward please contact me back so we can get the ball rolling. Don't let this beauty go away !!

Thank you,

Roger Cooper| Power Solutions Engineer | Oil industry company

This e-mail message may contain confidential or legally privileged information and is intended only for the use of the intended recipient(s). Any unauthorized disclosure, dissemination, distribution, copying or the taking of any action in reliance on the information herein is prohibited. E-mails are not secure and cannot be guaranteed to be error free as they can be intercepted, amended, or contain viruses. Anyone who communicates with us by e-mail is deemed to have accepted these risks. Chevron Corporation is not responsible for errors or omissions in this message and denies any responsibility for any damage arising from the use of e-mail. Any opinion and other statement contained in this message and any attachment are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the company.

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: March 12, 2019 10:42AM

We just went to Las Vegas Nevada last weekend for a Bob Seger concert.
I saw an ad on Craigs for what was "too good to be true" deal.
The ad had a phone number so I called it and then sent a text. The seller (thief)
responded to my text with a request for my e mail address so he/she could send me all the details. Of course I never asked any questions only saying I wanted to see the car. I answered his text with "I don't do e mail. I have cash". Never heard back. Why did they want my e mail addy?

Date: March 12, 2019 12:28PM

Would be great if Chevron would send the attack lawyers after him for stealing the identity of their valued employee! thumbs up

Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: March 13, 2019 03:52PM

It's called a Nigerian Scam. I've seen it before when I advertised items for sale. "Not here"! I called the FBI. They said they could basically do nothing because it's off shore. One giveaway is the convoluted shipping BS!

Corventure Dave

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: March 13, 2019 07:52PM

Ah, but he is not using a Chevron email address! Maybe he bought gas at a Chevron in the last year....grinning smiley

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: Mel ()
Date: March 14, 2019 04:43AM

Anyone who falls for this crap deserves to be taken LOLgrinning smiley

Orangeville, Ontario. CANADA

Posted by: curt ()
Date: March 14, 2019 07:22AM

The gramer in the add posts a red flag.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.