Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
OT: 460 Ford offset balance
Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: January 11, 2019 02:17PM

I bought a 460 to put in my digger to replace the 429. The 429 is internally balanced and the 460 is externally balanced. I either need to find a flywheel or...
Would someone who balances engines know the amount of offset balance my flywheel should have and be able to balance my current flywheel?
I bought a China special flywheel on eBay and of course it didn't fit.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: OT: 460 Ford offset balance
Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: January 11, 2019 02:44PM

Put in an 8.1 they're internally balanced.spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Date: January 11, 2019 02:44PM

Send me one and I'll use it.

Posted by: REM654DPG ()
Date: January 11, 2019 03:32PM

Joel, the 460 is external on both ends as you may already know. The only way to make it balance out is with OEM Ford parts. If the 460 is factory stock then you can bolt on the correct end pieces (flywheel & balancer) and it should be fine. But if the engine has been modified with different weight pistons then it could be off some depending on the weight difference. If you have the 460 flex plate - assuming it was an automatic core - then you could have the flywheel match balanced to it if the machine shop knows how.

Regan Metcalf
Portland, OR

Date: January 11, 2019 04:50PM

Regan,
The donor truck was a stock automatic. The harmonic balancer is not offset balanced, it has an offset weight on the end of the crank behind the balancer. If I could find the amount of offset required I could have someone balance my existing flywheel but I don't know where to get that info. I guess if I could get someone to check the offset amount on the flex plate they could duplicate that on the flywheel.

Posted by: rowin4 ()
Date: January 11, 2019 05:10PM

Not afford person but I bet there is a web site like this for big block fords that could help.

Date: January 11, 2019 05:39PM

I've searched a lot and haven't found anything. Most forums are full of people that don't know anything. If anyone knows where to point me that would be great.

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: January 11, 2019 05:45PM

[www.460ford.com]

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: January 11, 2019 05:48PM

Thanks Matt,
I had read that and it was the best information I found. No mention of the amount of offset balance though. The only specs I could find on the web were for a smaller Ford engine.

Date: January 11, 2019 06:03PM

[www.ebay.com]

..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: January 11, 2019 06:57PM

Not sure that will work. I need to get my other one out to check the pressure plate. Last one I ordered on eBay didn't fit. Just sent it back today.

Date: January 11, 2019 07:28PM

Joel I don’t think you’ll find that information anywhere but in some unobtanium files in the Ford archives. Back when I did a lot of this kind of work the only way to make this kind of swap work right was to spin up a complete 460 crank assembly with an average bob weight on the balancer with your end pieces. You then zero balance the assembly with internal weights (aka clay).Then you swap out the flexplate for the flywheel and make adjustments (drilling) on the flywheel until it zero balances. Either way you’re going to need an OEM external balanced flywheel and it will cost you the price of a complete V8 balance job. If I remember correctly I think the front balance piece versus the harmonic balancer has to do with the year of manufacture. That’s all I know - hope that helps.

Regan Metcalf
Portland, OR

Date: January 11, 2019 08:04PM

I was afraid of that. Thanks for the info. The offset balance flywheel that didn't fit was a normal flywheel with about 3.5oz drilled out in supposedly the correct spot.
Does anyone know if the internal and external balances engines have the same flywheel bolt pattern? If they don't then none of this matters.
I guess if you could bolt the flex plate to the flywheel 180 out you could balance that assembly.

Date: January 11, 2019 08:14PM

Yes both styles have the same bolt pattern. The Fords have an offset pattern that only lets the flywheel bolt up one way so you can’t put it 180 out. If you do end up getting this thing balanced don’t forget to take the pressure plate in and balance it too.

Regan Metcalf
Portland, OR

Date: January 12, 2019 08:02AM

Thanks Regan, now I just have to get it out of the truck.

Posted by: alphasud ()
Date: January 12, 2019 12:10PM

Rock auto sells the flywheel for $100. They have five choices and I looked the the pictures and it shows the weight offset on the back so that would do it for you.

Date: January 12, 2019 12:38PM

Great Tip!

[www.rockauto.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2019 12:46PM by MattNall.

Posted by: rowin4 ()
Date: January 12, 2019 06:08PM

I had a 440 mopar 6 pac engine which is a external balanced set up balanced to internal so I could use my aftermarket flywheel and balancer. They drilled the crank and put in heavy Mallory metal to balance it. Did that to 2 different cranks.

Date: January 12, 2019 06:17PM

I don't know why I didn't think to check RockAuto. Thanks!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.