Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: OT - Caller ID rendered useless by telemarketers
Posted by: dryenko ()
Date: January 11, 2019 07:18AM

I think it is wonderful the way this works.
Piss folks off enough by ignoring the do not call law, then come up with a product to help them , like Hiya.
Sorta like crating a Computer virus, and then selling virus protection against it.
Ain't America Been made Great or what ??
[ sarchasm ]
I like Ken's idea.
BC

Bob C aka Dryenko
Dobson, NC 27017

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: January 11, 2019 09:17AM

Ignoring calls that aren't in your contacts works for private parties but my number is my mail order business number. If I were to ignore calls outside my contacts I'd never get a new order. I have to listen to every call...sad smiley

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
60 Monza coupe (sold, sniff sniff)
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later
2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: January 11, 2019 01:08PM

I mess with the people just to waste their time. I like to ask them how they expect me to believe they are legitimate if they used a fake number to call from. Mine is a business line also so I have to answer. I do have hiya on my phone that will sometimes alert me if it's a scam and it lets me report a call as bogus. I haven't found it to block very many scam calls for me.
I'm concerned about blocking numbers since they aren't the scammer's number anyway. I'll eventually have so many blocked that I will miss real calls.

Posted by: larry cooper ()
Date: January 11, 2019 01:39PM

I received my 5th call about 20 minutes ago , I do not answer either land or cell phone.. I have found generally the caller will ring 4 times then hang up, there are tines when they do 5 or 6 rings., I have told ones who need to call me to let the phone ring at least 6 times because you cannot depend on the ID # , some hack your own #. I have contacted the FCC and they tell me most of the calls are from outside the US , FCC is working trying to stop it but there is little they can do.
Larry Cooper

Posted by: Caraholic4life ()
Date: January 11, 2019 02:11PM

I only have a cell phone and I keep it turned off while I am at work then often neglect to turn it on after work. Sometimes it is off for days at a time.
When it is actually on and it rings, I won't answer it if the call isn't from someone I know. Like others here, if a message is left I will return it. If no message is left, I don't worry about it.
Once in a while when I am expecting a call from a number not programmed in my phone, it will ring and not be who I was expecting.
More often than not when I say "Hello", if there is no immediate reply, I hang up.
I am not about to wait for someone listening to random robo calls for someone to answer then scramble to pick up their end and begin to recite their script.
In the rare instance that the solicitor actually replies promptly and starts in on reciting their script, I simply say "I'm not interested" and hang up.
Gone are the days where I make an attempt to be polite.
I know people that like to have fun with the solicitors and do anything they can to waste their time. They get a kick out of it but I simply won't waste my time just to waste theirs.....
I have other better ways to waste my time.grinning smiley

1962 95 F.C. Van
1965 Monza Coupe
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Posted by: stitch ()
Date: January 11, 2019 02:16PM

I have contacted the FCC and they tell me most of the calls are from outside the US

I never answer unless it's a contact. Had one leave a message the other day saying that my SS# had been compromised (Caller had a heavy Indian accent)
They left a number where I could call them to rectify this problem.
How much ya wanna bet that they just wanted me to 'clarify' my SS# by
telling them the correct one.

I ain't THAT senile yet! eye rolling smiley

"If you can't fix it with a Hammer, you have an Electrical problem."
Stitch...
Schertz, Texas.
(Smallish town/burg 17 mi. NE of San Antonio)

'Ms Penny'
!967.. 4th body
8th off the line

Posted by: boekeloo ()
Date: January 11, 2019 02:18PM

I also recommend hiya for mobile, it is not perfect but it blocks a majority of the spam calls. Make sure anyone you want to talk to is in your address book and it will allow them to ring through. The neighbor spoofing tactic has really surged this year so I don't even answer calls with the same exchange. I think the apple version hiya even has a setting for the neighbor spoofing.

There are federal laws on the books to stop this but that dildo Ajit Pai at the FCC does not seem interested in enforcing them so the spammers have free reign.

Posted by: 67 airvair ()
Date: January 11, 2019 03:52PM

My landline server instantly routes calls past 4 rings to their mandatory "voice mail" answering machine, so having friends let it ring doesn't work. And I NEVER ever listen to "voice mail".

As to answering calls, when I do pick it up, I don't say a thing, just listen. After a while I hear a click, click, as they try the hangup button. If the caller is legit, they would usually say something by that time. The spam caller just uses the hangup button, so when they do, I just hang up.

There just seems to be no getting around this latest "communication polluter." sad smiley

About the only thing I can say is that every time a new way to communicate is invented, somebody's going to figure out a way to ruin it. angry smiley

-Mark

Date: January 11, 2019 06:03PM

They stopped calling me after I got gross with them. Then after a few months they started again. I usually pretend I'm in the midst of a bowel movement and pretend my finger goes through the paper. I've recorded a few with my tablet. Its pretty funny. Sometimes they fight back or encourage me. I figure if they're going to waste my time, may as well get a laugh out of it. I think they're putting me on the DNC list... which is fine.

1961 Corvair 700 Sedan - 3sp - Gasoline Heat - Lowered a bit - Rust in Progress
I live my life 19.5 seconds at a time.

Posted by: john.jackson ()
Date: January 11, 2019 06:25PM

There may be a small glimmer of hope.

See this story and Google SHAKEN and STIR:

[www.androidheadlines.com]

Apparently, the FCC is "attempting" to allow cell phone carriers to do "something" to reduce the problem.

But I can help but wonder if "SHAKEN and STIR" is just a James Bond marketing tie in effort by the FCC. Sure hope not.

Here is one more link with a bit more info:

[www.lexology.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2019 06:33PM by john.jackson.

Posted by: CoCoCo ()
Date: January 11, 2019 09:57PM

Whatever you do, do NOT sign up with the do-not-call list for your landline. At least not anymore.
When I did it the first time many years ago it seemed to work. The last time I re-upped though, my few calls a week turned into a barrage of 10-20 calls a day just about four days after I signed up.

The conspiracy theorist in me thinks that someone that's part of the government department that handles such stuff, decided to make a little money on the side by selling all do-not-call numbers to telemarketers!

Now if someone does not leave a message on my cell I block them.
I have a little machine-thingy on my desk that blocks all oddball calls to the landline. Works really great so far!

Paul

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: January 12, 2019 06:59AM

CoCoCo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Whatever you do, do NOT sign up with the
> do-not-call list for your landline. At least not
> anymore.
> When I did it the first time many years ago it
> seemed to work. The last time I re-upped though,
> my few calls a week turned into a barrage of 10-20
> calls a day just about four days after I signed
> up.
>
> The conspiracy theorist in me thinks that someone
> that's part of the government department that
> handles such stuff, decided to make a little money
> on the side by selling all do-not-call numbers to
> telemarketers!

I agree, re-signing up made it instantly worse for us. I now have the ringer turned down. If I hear someone actually leaving a message I will look on caller ID to see who it is. 90% of the time they don't leave a message on often disconnect before my greeting is over. Somehow I think these guys find out you are in your 70s + and hope your loosing it, or you are just plain stupid. The ones I listen to are blatant scams. A lot of these calls are coming from overseas.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: January 12, 2019 07:23AM

I have a landline as a requirement by my internet provider to get the internet. No issues with that phone. I haven't hooked a phone to it. They can ring all they want.

Al Lane
Ellabell, GA 31308

1966 Monza Coupe, 110 hp, 4 Spd
1966 Monza More Door 110 hp, PG
1968 Camaro SS Coupe 350 CI 295+ hp PG
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe, 6 dr, 80 hp car engine, PG
1947 Farmall A tractor 15 hp

Date: January 12, 2019 08:00AM

They don't sell the list. It has to be available so they know who they aren't allowed to call. Since it isn't enforced they probably use it for a list of known good numbers.

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: January 12, 2019 09:30AM

joelsplace Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> They don't sell the list. It has to be available
> so they know who they aren't allowed to call.
> Since it isn't enforced they probably use it for a
> list of known good numbers.

Makes sense

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: January 12, 2019 02:28PM

I answer all calls "Rescue Services, how may I direct your call." If they ask for me by name, I ask who is calling. Only then will I acknowledge myself, if I want to speak to them. If not, I just tell them that "he died", and hand up. Then I block the number. Works great for me.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodstock CT... Located on the Connecticut / Massachusetts border, approximately 6 miles from the center of Southbridge MA. About 45 minutes from Hartford CT. 1 1/2 hours West of Boston MA. Woodstock CT to Los Angeles CA 2,937.1 miles. 1 Mile as the crow flies to Big Bird's nest.

Posted by: 67 airvair ()
Date: January 13, 2019 04:25AM

junkman, p-p-p-perfect! smileys with beer

-Mark

Date: May 09, 2019 10:05AM

If you post reported then we have to look at it to see that it is spam instead of just skipping it by looking at the person who posted on the main page.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, Lost count at 100 Corvairs...

Posted by: Spyderman64 ()
Date: May 09, 2019 01:37PM

About 2 weeks ago I ordered something online and paid using my Discover card. About 30 minutes later I got a call from an 800 number I didn’t recognize. I didn’t answer right away and they left no message. I called the number back a few minutes later and to my surprise it was Discover’s number. Thinking there was a possible fraud inquiry I asked to speak with a representative. When I asked why they had called she replied that they hadn’t tried to contact me. I guess out of sheer coincidence some scammer had spoofed Discover’s number right after I had used the card, presumably to try to trick me into giving them my account information. Bastards!

Posted by: john.jackson ()
Date: May 09, 2019 03:21PM

My new Pixel has a nice call screen feature. Basically Google say you have been answered by a call screener, leave a message and I will call you.

Not too many caller leave a message, most just disconnect.

Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.