Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
OT - Caller ID rendered useless by telemarketers
Posted by: 67 airvair ()
Date: January 10, 2019 09:23PM

A word of warning to all. I've come to the conclusion that telemarketers have now found a way around call-screening via the caller ID, and this is now being used by organizations that are involved heavily in phone use, such as charities, political organizations, debt collectors, salesmen of all types, survey organizations, etc.

Apparently, they now have, along with their computerized dialer, a companion program that substitutes a random number for their own to your caller ID box. It doesn't care if the number is being used or not. The result is that you may think it's from, say your friend from across town, and answer it. But instead of hearing your friend when you pick it up, it's a salesman, or charity, or something like that.

Well, it's time to contact your federal Congressman and insist on a law that makes it illegal to falsify or Hijack someone else's number in order to hide their own. Demand that only the caller's real name and number can be displayed on caller ID devices, and no exceptions! Only a federal law would be effective.

-Mark

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: OT - Caller ID rendered useless by telemarketers
Posted by: Vairismo ()
Date: January 10, 2019 09:49PM

Maybe when the shutdown is over. Then again, government pretty much worked only prior to about 1980. Coincidentally, before the mass spread of computer(s)/technologies. Go figure.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2019 09:53PM by Vairismo.

Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: January 10, 2019 09:52PM

I've noticed the same thing for about a year. Local area code, cell numbers from my system turn out to be telemarketers from afar. There was effective do not call legislation a few years back, maybe 6-7 years ago but I believe the lack of prosecution led to wholesale ignorance of the law.

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
60 Monza coupe (sold, sniff sniff)
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later
2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: January 10, 2019 10:02PM

Yes Mark, only a Federal Law would do it, as a state law would be circumvented by calling from out of state.
The best way to avoid falling for this is to only answer calls from KNOWN numbers.
While they may fake a number known to you, the chances of that is highly unlikely.
Most states have a "No Telemarketing Call to Cell Phones Law".
That is being attacked by Telemarketing Lobbyist everyday.
As more and more people drop landlines in favor of only using cell phones, more companies are ignoring do not call lists and calling anyway!

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
'66 Monza Coupe - 4spd, 140 Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - PG, 140 Daily driver beater
'67 A/C Moredoor Monza - 140 4-spd. driver
non-vair
'04 Dodge Cummins Quad Dualy, approaching 400K
17'Terry

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: January 10, 2019 10:41PM

Folks... there is a NO CALL list for Cell as well as landline... 2 sites!

They must be renewed every 5?? years?

I'm registered and get few calls except during elections! [ legal ]

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: Chris Lampe ()
Date: January 10, 2019 11:00PM

This is referred to as "neighborhood spoofing" I receive several calls a week from numbers that are just a couple digits different form my own number. As previously stated they do this in the hopes that you will pick up, thinking it is a local call, in fact about six month ago I received a call from my very own number, not sure how they were able to pull that one off but they did.

I have a rule that i follow religiously, if the number is not recognized on my phone, meaning only a phone number appears and no name, then it is not in my contact list and I WILL NOT PICK UP if it is legitimate business they will leave a voice message. I can choose if I wish to call back.

Chris
Rowlett, Tx
NTCA - North Texas Corvair Association
CORSA
'64 Monza 'vert

Posted by: RobertC ()
Date: January 10, 2019 11:25PM

From what I understand, charities and political organizations are exempt from No Call lists.

I do not pick up unless I recognize the number.

Posted by: azdave ()
Date: January 11, 2019 04:28AM

Since I have to accept all incoming calls on my mobile (work phone) I cannot use any blocking features for unrecognized numbers. I've been on the Do Not Call List forever. It's getting really old.

Dave W. / Gilbert Arizona
65 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4 w/factory A/C
66 Corsa 455 Toro V8
65 Monza Convertible 110/4
66 Monza Convertible 140/4 A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: January 11, 2019 04:39AM

I use HiYa on my cellphone. It monitors incoming calls. Known spammers/telemarketers are automatically blocked. You may hear part of a ring when Hiya catches a spam call. It will also put up a screen with caller ID for numbers that are unlisted. You can also block numbers you deem to be scam calls.

Al Lane
Ellabell, GA 31308

1966 Monza Coupe, 110 hp, 4 Spd
1966 Monza More Door 110 hp, PG
1968 Camaro SS Coupe 350 CI 295+ hp PG
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe, 6 dr, 80 hp car engine, PG
1947 Farmall A tractor 15 hp

Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: January 11, 2019 04:43AM

My wife uses Hiya and it does work.

Date: January 11, 2019 05:16AM

Most of these calls are illegal anyway so they aren't bound by the "do not call" list.

This has been happening for about two years for me. Sometimes its a number almost identical to mine but a number or two off.

Often if you call the number back, you'll get some unsuspecting person on the other end who has no idea whats going on because they never called you.

1961 Corvair 700 Sedan - 3sp - Gasoline Heat - Lowered a bit - Rust in Progress
I live my life 19.5 seconds at a time.

Date: January 11, 2019 05:22AM

If it is a local area code number and they leave no voicemail message, I block it on the second call. Out of area calls get block on first call if no message is left.

Al Lane
Ellabell, GA 31308

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2019 05:26AM by Lane66m.

Posted by: GWLee ()
Date: January 11, 2019 05:45AM

It gets old real fast!

I've been getting calls from myself for several years now!

I have been averaging about 4 to 5 calls a day, everyday, and I have signed up on the no call list!

Gets real annoying to say the least!

Lee Adkins

A Cave Man car
1960 2dr Coupe with pg
Color Tasco Turq.
With Ermine white top.

Catlettsburg,
In the Beautiful state of
North/East KY!

Not the best pic, but the only I had from then, 1997!

2016!

Posted by: 67 airvair ()
Date: January 11, 2019 05:48AM

I've been getting a variety of calls, with or without a name. Some "name" labels are listed as a city, some as not in service, some as unknown, or other obviously phony calls.

But then there are ones that are from my area code, even my home town. Got one just yesterday listing a friend, with his correct number, but it was a spam call. And since I am liable to get calls from all over the country that are legitimate people trying to reach me about, say, some Corvair part I might have, or seeking my expertise on a variety of Corvair items, I never know anymore whether to pick it up or not.

I'm beginning to feel like just dropping having ANY phone at all and go pre-Alexander Graham Bell. Wanna get hold of me? Send up smoke signals.tongue sticking out smiley

I'm about to that point.grinning smiley
-Mark

Date: January 11, 2019 05:52AM

Just use HiYa on your mobile phone. It will save you lots of grief and looking at your phone. You only look at phone on second ring.

Al Lane
Ellabell, GA 31308

Posted by: Spectre ()
Date: January 11, 2019 05:58AM

67 airvair Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm beginning to feel like just dropping having
> ANY phone at all and go pre-Alexander Graham Bell.
> Wanna get hold of me? Send up smoke signals.tongue sticking out smiley
>
> I'm about to that point.grinning smiley
> -Mark

Careful Mark, Elizabeth Warren might spam you with campaign ads. grinning smiley

David Clamp

1965 Corsa convertible - 140 4spd/3.55/AM-FM

2013 Mustang GT convertible - 5.0, 6spd auto, Procharger i-1

2003 Miata SE - 6spd manual (wife's toy)

"Victory is mine!" - SG

Norman, OK

<a href="[www.wunderground.com] src="[weathersticker.wunderground.com]; alt="Click for Norman, Oklahoma Forecast" height="90" width="160"></a>

Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: January 11, 2019 06:41AM

I said this in another thread but there is a phone app out there that lets caller's numbers look like local numbers and they are usually unused numbers. It looks like the call is coming from somewhere near or even your own area code and exchange number prefix. I get these all the time. I have also talked with the phone co. and there is nothing they can do about it because the numbers are spoofed and no way to trace them. I really think there is but they don't want to spend the time or the money to shut this down.

As a matter of fact someone just called me from NJ there was no answer when I answered so I blocked the number right off. About 5 min later I get another call from the same area code but this time there was a company name involved so I answered and it was someone asking about FC parts! They said they had tried to call but the call wouldn't go through and then used the other line. I went back and unblocked the number.

I keep telling everyone if there is no name on the caller ID then I don't answer but call right back, telemarketers generally don't do that, I will answer on the second or third try if they are one right after the other.

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Posted by: isucorvair ()
Date: January 11, 2019 06:44AM

My solution...I never changed my cell phone number when I moved from MN to Iowa.

Also, I didn't know anyone that had the same area code as me in MN (weird circumstance)...so, I know that if I get a call spoofed from that area code, I never answer!

Eric P.
DeWitt, IA

Posted by: Spectre ()
Date: January 11, 2019 06:46AM

If the number isn't in my contacts list, I do not answer. If the caller is legitimate, they can leave a voicemail. The few telemarketers that leave a message get blocked, repeat unknown callers get blocked, etc. I kept my GA number when I moved to OK, so most spoofed calls appear to come from GA for me.

David Clamp

1965 Corsa convertible - 140 4spd/3.55/AM-FM

2013 Mustang GT convertible - 5.0, 6spd auto, Procharger i-1

2003 Miata SE - 6spd manual (wife's toy)

"Victory is mine!" - SG

Norman, OK

<a href="[www.wunderground.com] src="[weathersticker.wunderground.com]; alt="Click for Norman, Oklahoma Forecast" height="90" width="160"></a>

Posted by: Bruins_Fan ()
Date: January 11, 2019 07:07AM

Do not call list doesn't work. I receive tons of spam calls on all my numbers. Many are spoofed local numbers. My business line "is what it is", but if I don't recognize the number, I don't answer my cell or home line. This spoofing of numbers by scammers has been going on for at least a few years.

1966 Monza Convertible 110 PG
North Shore, MA

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.