Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: Looks like Sears is finally done. sad smiley
Posted by: gnvair ()
Date: January 08, 2019 09:07AM

Saw this on another group a little while ago. Sad. Was one of my favorite places to shop. sad smiley
[www.cnbc.com]

Lee J

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: OT: Looks like Sears is finally done. sad smiley
Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: January 08, 2019 09:12AM

Good example of what happens when the CEO doesn't keep a company relevant. Once it goes to the sharks (string of holding companies who only want to pick the bones) it's over.

It makes me sad and mad. I used to adore Sears in the '60s and '70s and still have many of the good products I bought there.

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
60 Monza coupe (sold, sniff sniff)
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later
2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Posted by: stitch ()
Date: January 08, 2019 09:53AM

Sad..sad smiley
Montgomery Wards was a good one to...

"If you can't fix it with a Hammer, you have an Electrical problem."
Stitch...
Schertz, Texas.
(Smallish town/burg 17 mi. NE of San Antonio)

!967.. 4th body
8th off the line

Posted by: MoxyRamone ()
Date: January 08, 2019 09:58AM

I remember in my youth, looking through the Sears Catalog in the weeks before Christmas. It was the ultimate place to get the coolest toys!

John Carver
Simpsonville, South Carolina

1964 Monza Convertible

Posted by: mwr ()
Date: January 08, 2019 10:04AM

That is sad.

Posted by: gnvair ()
Date: January 08, 2019 10:07AM

They were doing mail order from the beginning. They should have been there on the ground floor of online purchasing! It just doesn't make any sense to me.

Lee J

Posted by: cepak ()
Date: January 08, 2019 10:33AM

gnvair Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> They were doing mail order from the beginning.
> They should have been there on the ground floor of
> online purchasing! It just doesn't make any sense
> to me.

I agree. They WERE Amazon. Whatever you wanted to buy was in their catalog.
I remember seeing some old Sears Catalogs my grandfather had. You could buy
a house, you could buy a car, you could buy whatever.
I bought my first hand gun, a 1851 Cold Navy Revolver kit, when I was 16 years
old out of a Sears Catalog. I just don't see how
they could not have made the transition. Heck, at the very beginning of Amazon,
Sears could have bought Amazon with pocket change.

Tom Cepak
DFW, TX

Posted by: ral1963 ()
Date: January 08, 2019 10:37AM

It is sad as it is an end to an era, I worked for Kmart/Sears Holdings for 25 years. 10years ago, I was sure I was going to be able to retire from there, left in 2018 for my future safety.

Rick Loving
Corvair historian & chronicler of useless facts
CORSA
Performance Corvair Group
Chicagoland Corvair Enthusiasts

RAL1963@COMCAST.NET
Just south of Chicago IL

Current Ride
63 Sprint Vert 140/4sp

Past Rides
66 Turbo Coupe 180/4sp
60 700 Sedan 80hp PG
63 Monza Vert 102hp 4 spd
63 Monza Coupe 140hp 4 spd
63 700 Sedan 80hp 3 spd
64 Monza Vert 110hp 4 spd
64 Monza Coupe 95hp 3 spd
64 Monza Sedan 110hp PG
65 500 Coupe 95hp 4 spd
65 Monza Coupe 110hp PG
65 Corsa Coupe 140hp 4 spd
68 Monza Vert 140hp 3 spd

Posted by: Spectre ()
Date: January 08, 2019 10:46AM

Yes, sad but not unexpected. They ignored the threat for too long, just like K-Mart ignored Walmart until it was too late. I am also guilty of online shopping, but I did go to Sears for tools - one of the few things I made sure to purchase at my local Sears.

David Clamp

1965 Corsa convertible - 140 4spd/3.55/AM-FM

2013 Mustang GT convertible - 5.0, 6spd auto, Procharger i-1

2003 Miata SE - 6spd manual (wife's toy)

"Victory is mine!" - SG

Norman, OK

Click for Norman, Oklahoma Forecast

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2019 10:47AM by Spectre.

Posted by: moomba32 ()
Date: January 08, 2019 10:59AM

It's my fault, don't think I bought anything there since the 80s. I remember when Walmart and Kmart were rivals, you could go to Walmart and buy most everything you needed, they had everything but if you went to Kmart they only had popular stuff and usually had to go to Walmart for the rest of what you needed so started going to Walmart first. Now that Walmart killed Kmart they only sell the popular stuff so you have to go online to get the rest of what you need so I go online first.

Don Marlowe
66 Monza 2Dr 140/pg
64 Spyder convertible now, 110/pg
Eutawville SC

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: January 08, 2019 11:46AM

This is just the tip of the iceberg. As more people go online to do all their shopping, more and more of the brick and mortar stores are going to close their doors. The local mall has lost so many stores, that a local health provider has taken over more than half of it for doctors offices and other services such as radiology, and day surgeries. They are now consolidating all their various practices that were spread around the surrounding area into one giant medical care facility for ambulatory services. A few nights ago, I heard the statistic that 40% of all clothing sales that are done on the internet are returned at the sellers expense. How long do you think that the sellers are going to be able to sustain this type of expense until they will have to start making up these losses in higher sale prices? The pet food giant, Chewy's has been loosing money every year since it started, however, the long range for cast is that once all the brick and mortar stores are out of business, that they will be able to restructure their pricing, and become profitable. For the time being the investment group and the bond holders have been propping it up, looking for the turn around to happen in the future. The owner of Chewy's, PetSmart is over 8 Billion dollars in debt, and the debt is growing every month! As long as they can keep attracting bond money they don't care. PetSmart’s 7.125% unsecured bonds due 2023 trade at 54.50 cents on the dollar.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodstock CT... Located on the Connecticut / Massachusetts border, approximately 6 miles from the center of Southbridge MA. About 45 minutes from Hartford CT. 1 1/2 hours West of Boston MA. Woodstock CT to Los Angeles CA 2,937.1 miles. 1 Mile as the crow flies to Big Bird's nest.

Posted by: Caraholic4life ()
Date: January 08, 2019 02:58PM

I am a fan of being able to go to a store and actually look at an item before I make the purchase whenever possible. I also like the idea of customer service and being able to return an item for any given reason locally and in person.
When it comes to thinks like my Homeowners and Automobile Insurance, I choose to have a local agent who I can actually go visit if I have a need, or if there is a problem.
When I go to the Fast Food places, I park my car and walk inside even if I am not planning to eat there. I very much dislike drive through windows.
When I go to the Bank, I also go inside and do my business in person but will use the ATM at my local branch when I need to get some cash.
When I go to the Grocery Store, or any other place with "Self Check Out's", I refuse to use them. I would rather wait in line for fifteen minutes and have a cashier ring up my purchases than do it myself. I do this mostly because I want to support their jobs.
If we continue to go on this way, it won't be long before a person won't be able to do anything in person. What happens when the computers fail or there are no stores to shop in? Once that happens I can just imagine the barrel the vendors will have us over. I for one will not be happy about it, and will resist till there is no choice. Hopefully I'll never need to worry about it.

1962 95 F.C. Van
1965 Monza Coupe
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Posted by: rowin4 ()
Date: January 08, 2019 04:14PM

Along the line of on line shoppers. My daughter has a bridal & formal ware shop, been in business for 30 years. This week she has decided to pretty much close out her business because the girls come in, try dresses on, find the style they like and then go on line and buy at a higher price with no after purchase service. It's a trend that is killing brick and mortar stores. It's easier to set in your easy chair and buy parts from Rock auto than to drive down to your local auto parts store. Sending the wrong parts back is a pain also that most don't count.

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: January 08, 2019 04:27PM

Rockauto is often 1/3 the price of the local stores that have to order it for you anyway. I'm not going to drive to a store, pay 3x the price and have to drive back to pick it up when most of the kids at the store have no idea what they are doing. Rockauto rarely sends the wrong part and when they do they send a return shipping label to make it easy.
If the local store was close to being competitive I would buy from them. O'Reilly and Auto Zone often have 25% off coupons but every time I try to use them they say it doesn't apply to what I'm buying. No listing of what it does or does not apply to either.

Posted by: moomba32 ()
Date: January 08, 2019 05:04PM

A few months ago I stopped at a Wendy's. The computer system was out completely. They were running the store adding up the prices on paper and dealing cash only, apologized for taking too long but I told them they were fantastic.

Don Marlowe
66 Monza 2Dr 140/pg
64 Spyder convertible now, 110/pg
Eutawville SC

Posted by: Joe West ()
Date: January 08, 2019 05:04PM

Sadness. Like many of you, I grew up with Sears. When my parents received their tax refund check, Sears iscwhere we went to shop first... them J.C. Penny’s, then Montgomery Ward.

I predict that companies who fail to expand online are doomed to fail... and even then, only the boutique, non-commodity online stores will thrive (Apple, Coach, some automobile manufacturers, etc.). Amazon will ultimately drive all other businesses, including Walmart, out of business.

I suspect I will not be around to see if I am correct, but my prediction saddens me. Creative destruction at its finest.

Joe

1964 Spyder Convertible, Laurinburg North Carolina
Restoration Website: [www.corvairspyder.com]

Posted by: Brizo ()
Date: January 08, 2019 08:12PM

joelsplace Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Rockauto is often 1/3 the price of the local
> stores that have to order it for you anyway. I'm
> not going to drive to a store, pay 3x the price
> and have to drive back to pick it up when most of
> the kids at the store have no idea what they are
> doing. Rockauto rarely sends the wrong part and
> when they do they send a return shipping label to
> make it easy.
> If the local store was close to being competitive
> I would buy from them. O'Reilly and Auto Zone
> often have 25% off coupons but every time I try to
> use them they say it doesn't apply to what I'm
> buying. No listing of what it does or does not
> apply to either.

The subject of coupons at the FLAPS and other stores burns me up too! Why do they have to play games? If they're gonna offer me 25% off it should be off anything I want to buy. And then there's the "package" deals where you have to spend more than you really want to in order to use a coupon. Of course much of these tricks are designed to get you into the store in the hope you'll buy something else.

Dan Brizendine,
'64 8door Greenbrier 140 PG. "In beautiful Wanamaker Indiana...with one stop light and 5 pizza shops"

Posted by: mrgordy ()
Date: January 08, 2019 08:33PM

In 1993 I was a vendor to Target doing over $2m in sales. In January they had a vendor meeting and told us what to expect in the next few years. one of their projections at that time was that 60% of their sales would be from online purchases by 2020. From 2020 we would see a decline in all large retail stores. They predicted that millenials would not want to spend their time shopping in stores and negotiating traffic and people to get their. I am friends with the vp of IT for target and many of their stores are no longer profitable and Target corporate is subsidizing them with income from online sales to keep them open.

I now own a membership in a company that provides a discount for everything I by online for everything I need. I save thousands of $ a year and I shop when I want 24/7. They also have local businesses that choose to offer discounts to members that are generating thousands of dollars in new business. If we aren't willing to change we will get left behind.

Posted by: Joe West ()
Date: January 09, 2019 04:20AM

According to Today’s Wall Street Journal, Lambert’s $4.4 billion offer is still one the table and Sears can still be viable. I am keeping my finger’s crossed that this American icon survives.

Joe

1964 Spyder Convertible, Laurinburg North Carolina
Restoration Website: [www.corvairspyder.com]

Posted by: Paulsgt ()
Date: January 09, 2019 11:53AM

Very sad to see Sears go away. Very fond memories from my childhood. Made a lot of big purchases there like Kenmore, Diehard, Craftsman. Lambert has destroyed them because his ego would not let him listen to the experts.

Paul Sergeant
CORSA Central Division Director / CORSA Treasurer <-new title
Lee's Summit, MO
CORSA since 1975
Member – HACOA, Corvair Minnesota, CORSA, Little Indians, POCI

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.