Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Need original price for 1966 Multiplexer option
Posted by: Westds ()
Date: January 07, 2019 09:37PM

I have looked and cannot find the RPO code and price for the 1966 stereo multiplexer. The AM/FM Radio was $133.80

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2019 11:42AM by MattNall.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Need original price for 1966 Multiplerer option
Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: January 07, 2019 10:28PM

I don't believe it was an RPO (factory option) but I'm willing to be educated if I'm wrong.

The option does not show up in RPO lists but it does show up in the dealer accessory installation guide.

It's also in the 1965 confidential dealer option price schedule as option U-79. Unfortunately, there's only a dealer cost: $61.50. List price is shown as "N.L." (Not listed)

You find it on page 15/16 of the document linked below. Click here for 1965 Dealer Option Pricing

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
60 Monza coupe (sold, sniff sniff)
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later
2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: January 07, 2019 11:51PM

I am with Craig. The Multiplex was shown as an accessory, with instructions on how the dealer was to install it. I don't think it was ever a factory option. Part of the reason for this belief is that nothing on the car needed to be changed - at the factory - for the Multiplex to be installed, and it would have been almost impossible (at least very difficult) to have fully installed it on the production line as a regular option.

Seth Emerson

Check my new Performance Corvair Web site [www.perfvair.com]

Posted by: gnvair ()
Date: January 08, 2019 04:43AM

I believe the only factory 4 speaker installations were on the 67 and 68 models with the 8 track player.

Lee J

Posted by: 67 airvair ()
Date: January 08, 2019 07:59AM

The multiplex (Chevrolet never called it a multiplexER - emphasis added) was always a dealer installed option, so it never had an RPO (Regular Production Option) number. It also never had a list price, just a dealer price, so the dealer was free to charge whatever suited him.

The 4 speaker system was also pieced together at first, as it and what we call the "four-knob job" came out in mid '66. In '67 and '68 the 8-track stereo tape player was offered as an RPO and dealer installed option, and came with the 4 speaker system. They also offered a gang switch to allow both the tape player and multiplex to be in a car.

Here is a shot of just such an arrangement in a '67, as a dealer might have installed it in a car with the RPO tape player. Also here is a shot in a '68 installed as it might have been envisioned by the engineers.

There's a gray area here in that there's evidence for both ways of installation. We simply just don't have enough collaborating documentation to make a determination, so have concluded that either way is allowable, seeing that the multiplex was always dealer installed and thus up to the installer's discretion as to how to install it.

In '69 the factory changed all the multiplex units and all the GM radios, except the Corvair radio from a 12 pin plug to a 9 pin plug, thus locking out the option from '69 Corvairs, unless an earlier year model multiplex is used.

-Mark (the accessory guru)

Attachments:

Posted by: 67 airvair ()
Date: January 08, 2019 08:17AM

Here are some more shots of the '67 and its installation. The first shot is of the gang switch, mounted above the handbrake. This car is so loaded that that is the only place it could have been mounted, despite instructions indicating a different location.

In the second shot, note that the tape player's case had to be cut to allow the multiplex's 12 pin plug to reach the radio, and that it was set back an inch. This was due to the shifter tube bushings wearing and requiring the shifter to be moved farther forward than normal. otherwise, the multiplex could be flush mounted with the tape player, which it was at first.

-Mark

Attachments:

Posted by: flat_six ()
Date: January 08, 2019 09:39AM

Mark - what's with that accelerator pedal cover? Is that GM?

Posted by: gnvair ()
Date: January 08, 2019 10:29AM

flat_six Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Mark - what's with that accelerator pedal cover?
> Is that GM?

That accelerator pedal cover was a popular accessory for the 58-64 full size Chevrolet models as the pedal pivoted on 2 floor mounted studs.

Lee J

Posted by: Westds ()
Date: January 08, 2019 11:26AM

looking at the markups for the various options in the Dealer Option Pricing Guide a markup of between 135% and 166% is applied. Given the dealer price of $61.50 the sell should be $83.00 and $102.00. Does this look like it is in the ballpark?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.