Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Starter Issue
Posted by: andyman260 ()
Date: January 06, 2019 03:15PM

Soooo...car sat a bit while I rigged an Optima battery and dealt with the weather. Got it installed and, since it’s nice 40 degree day I decided to fire her up. Two 10 second spins to get the oil circulating with a moment between then a pump of the gas and the next hit to the solenoid results in no connnection with the flywheel (zing) and then I hit it again and get a loud clunk, everything stops, ammeter pegs and you can hear the load to a stopped electric motor. Is this a symptom of a broken ‘nose’? I rocked the car (4-sp) to check for a seized engine and it appears ok (have to remove the AC oil filter assembly to get to the crankshaft bolt.

Thoughts?

Andy

Andy Allen

Oak Park, IL

1966 Corsa w/air

708.921.8937 cell

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Starter Issue
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: January 06, 2019 04:31PM

Most likely the nose...

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: January 06, 2019 06:30PM

Andy you should be able to grab belt on each side and roll engine.

Assuming you disconnected ground cable from battery did you just touching cable to post to see if big spark happens?

Guessing solenoid stuck or starter stuck or engine tight.

I hope it is easy.

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo---1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4---1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: January 06, 2019 11:58PM

Andy - Didn't the car have some kind of starting issue in California? Or was that just timing. I suggest you pull the unit out. Battery disconnected! I hope the nose is still one piece.

Seth Emerson

Check my new Performance Corvair Web site [www.perfvair.com]

Posted by: TerribleTed ()
Date: January 07, 2019 06:08AM

You should not need to remove the oil filter to reach the crank bolt. access from distributor side with a 3/4 combination wrench. Usually the box end will work. if not the open end will gain enough purchase to see if it is stuck. You may need to remove the A/C pulley first.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Avid Corvair hobbiest since 1984.
I have personally performed ground up restoration on over 20 Corvairs.
I currently work full time at restoring and repairing Corvairs.
Located in the Atlanta Georgia area.
[www.facebook.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2019 06:08AM by TerribleTed.

Date: January 07, 2019 03:23PM

Thanks Everyone,

Seth, yes, it was a timing issue and a failing coil back in California. BTW-your distributer has been rock solid as has been the coil. Couldn’t be happier!

I’m thinking it’s the nose because the noise and seizure happened in the classic way (me jamming it off of a failure to engage with the flywheel)...I’ve just not yet had this to me so chalking it up as ‘first time for everything’. The shop manual is pretty vague so one more question.

The car is in a tough spot to move it if I can’t start it (damn winter storage) so is it physically possible to jack the car up from the side, remove the rear wheel and replace the starter? I can’t get a good look right now but can jocky the car so I can do this if it’s a viable technique. If not it’ll involve a tow which, like anyone, I’m loath to do.

Thanks!!

Andy

Andy Allen

Oak Park, IL

1966 Corsa w/air

708.921.8937 cell

Posted by: stitch ()
Date: January 07, 2019 04:03PM

Heh! My Favorite thing to do! Laying on my back, and trying to finagle an 18lb starter above my face to stab the ring gear correctly. Of course, I'm an old guy. Get a GOOD one. Last one I did was maybe 5yrs ago and still running strong! Oh...and there is 1 bolt that is a pain. There are 'Lighter' ones out there. Good luck Andy! smileys with beer

"If you can't fix it with a Hammer, you have an Electrical problem."
Stitch...
Schertz, Texas.
(Smallish town/burg 17 mi. NE of San Antonio)

!967.. 4th body
8th off the line

Date: January 07, 2019 04:38PM

That is the easiest way, lift driver side and remove
tire/wheel. It is handy to remove heater hose from
engine. The starter is looking at you.

Use care pulling starter from bellhousing too. If
nose has completely broken you don't want it to
fall inside the bellhousing. Good luck

best wishes, Steve

1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: January 07, 2019 07:50PM

Yes, access the starter through the left rear wheel opening. I had my daughter do it this was in the snow when the PG ring gear wore and snapped the nose on her car. No way to lay under the car!

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Date: January 07, 2019 09:04PM

As they suggested- left rear wheel off. Have a couple of nut drivers ready, along with a 9/16 and a 5/8 box end for the battery hot lead nut - I have seen both sizes over the years. All for the Solenoid. Make absolutely certain of the support on that side of the car. You do not want it falling over on you. As Steve suggested, slow and steady gives you a better chance of bringing out the nose with the body - if that is an issue. If it falls off, much labor will have to follow.

Date: January 08, 2019 02:11PM

Thanks again everyone! My die has been cast and I do have plenty of room to safely jack and support the car. Since I have such an excellent sampling of Subject Matter Experts I’d like to ask now for your opinions.

There are two starters offered up by Clark’s. Three levels of rebuilds (of which I will be choosing the most expensive but most robust option)along with a ‘Heavy Duty’ option (C11114). The difference in price is insignificant if an old guy like me would like to avoid this exercise in the future.

Any experience with or opinion on this “Heavy Duty starter from Clark’s?

Respectfully,

Andy

Andy Allen

Oak Park, IL

1966 Corsa w/air

708.921.8937 cell

Date: January 08, 2019 03:21PM

I am not trying to take something away from Clarks
but are you a member of CCE? Even though Larry C
isn't open he is still selling parts ALSO club
members may know of a starter rebuilder near you.
Most every town of size has a starter/alt shop.

Shipping back and forth can get spendy. Good
luck .

best wishes, Steve

1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Date: January 08, 2019 07:56PM

Buy the starter nose from Clark’s if the local starter rebuilder does not have one. Otherwise just let the local rebuilder do it. Starters are simple devices with many common parts ( except nose and drive) to other GM starters. Any local place in business for 20 years will instantly recognize the Corvair starter when you walk in.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Date: January 09, 2019 05:32PM

Thanks Everyone,

As a matter of fact I just sent my application to CCE a week or so ago and was a member before moving to California where I was a member of the Silicon Valley Club (hey everybody!). Sure miss that weather and the many twisty and fun roads at our disposal!

I’m pretty much a R&R guy nowadays with my work schedule, travel and cramped workspace (never thought I’d wax nostalgic for my San Mateo carport!). If I take it apart I strive to get it back together in one work session and then have a beer. So, tomorrow I’ll be popping for the best rebuild from our trusy Massachusetts vendor unless somebody thinks their Heavy Duty option is the way to go.

Appreciate all the great input and sage advice!

Andy

Andy Allen

Oak Park, IL

1966 Corsa w/air

708.921.8937 cell

Date: January 09, 2019 07:02PM

Then the other option that fits your do it once situation (and I do understand the need for this), is to get a starter from a club member and have that one rebuilt locally. Then get under the car once and do the job in one sitting. Usually starters are available from local people who have parted out cars over the years.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Date: January 09, 2019 08:13PM

Andy - 2000 miles away, several starters sitting here. We miss you too!

Date: January 10, 2019 05:43PM

Thanks Seth,

I’ll get with you by conventional means! Thank you to all for the input!!

Andy

Andy Allen

Oak Park, IL

1966 Corsa w/air

708.921.8937 cell

Date: January 10, 2019 06:03PM

Andy - Priority Mail left today.

Seth Emerson

Check my new Performance Corvair Web site [www.perfvair.com]

Date: January 11, 2019 04:49PM

Thanks Seth!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.