Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Sources for Recycled Body Parts
Posted by: TeeJaye ()
Date: January 05, 2019 06:58PM

Anybody have a good source for recycled body parts? Anybody parting out a LM convertible? I need bottoms for both doors and possibly both rear wheel openings. The usual sources for used parts are understandably reluctant to cut up a whole panel which they could sell to somebody. I don't need the whole panels, so I don't want to pay for whole panels.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sources for Recycled Body Parts
Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: January 05, 2019 06:59PM

davemotohead here on Corvair Center can fix you up with exactly the pieces you want...P/M him.

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: January 05, 2019 07:02PM

About time you posted! 7 years! ggg

You should know...always state where you are.. St. Louis, Mo. ? right?

For rust free... go Southwest!

Davemothead in the SoCal High Desert can most likely accommodate you... he always custom cuts per customer's wishes... PM him!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: January 05, 2019 07:35PM

Thanks to Phil and Matt for your replies. Dave Motohead was one of the first places I tried. He has whole panels, but he is unwilling to cut them up. I also tried Corvair Ranch in PA and Steve Morton in Idaho without success.

Don't even mention Corvair Corral in Arizona. Their business practices are like a
train wreck. I ordered a part from John Seaman once and never received it. He says that he has a post office receipt to prove that he mailed the part, but he has never produced the receipt. He promised me that he would "take care of it" if the part was lost, but he did not keep his promise. I filed a complaint with the BBB, and they found that he had failed to adequately resolve the complaint.

BTW, I paid Seaman $45 for the part, which I later bought from Corvair Ranch for $25.

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: January 05, 2019 10:47PM

I would buy the whole door and use it. Easier than trying to weld a section into a skin without warping.

Why would anyone sell a door bottom off a good door?confused smiley winking smiley

Clark's sells a patch for the bottom 5" of a late model door.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: davemotohead ()
Date: January 05, 2019 11:15PM

I do not remember you contacting me? What are you looking for exactly? I go through body panels a lot and might have what you need now?

Email me at: Dave Motohead

1960 4dr sedan caveman car
1961 Rampside (Chetside)
1962 Rampside (Barnside)
1962 Short Rampside (Shortside)
1962 Monza 700 Wagon
1963 Monza 900 coup (General Nader)

-----------------------------------
Rust Free Lancaster Ca

Posted by: Mel ()
Date: January 06, 2019 04:00AM

smiling smiley oh boy smiling smiley

Orangeville, Ontario. CANADA

Date: January 06, 2019 05:56AM

Dave, you and I corresponded via Facebook when I first started looking for these parts. I think we were on somebody else's post, but it's been so long that I can't remember. I eventually placed the order with a guy seven months ago, and he still hasn't cut the parts off the donor cars.

I have a 1965 Monza convertible. I need the door bottoms on both sides about the level of the lower hinge. 1965-'66 coupe and convertible doors are the same. I also need both rear fender openings including the inside flanges. Please quote me a price delivered to St. Louis, MO 63129.

I can't figure out how to attach the photos, so I will send them to you via email.

Posted by: Caraholic4life ()
Date: January 06, 2019 06:14AM

Frank DuVal Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I would buy the whole door and use it. Easier than
> trying to weld a section into a skin without
> warping.
>
> Why would anyone sell a door bottom off a good
> door?confused smiley winking smiley
>
> Clark's sells a patch for the bottom 5" of a late
> model door.

I agree with Frank about the doors. IF you can find a complete door for a fair price.
I imagine replacing the door would be more cost effective than paying someone to cut your door and weld in the patch, unless you have the skills to do the welding yourself.
Replacing the entire door would also avoid a multitude of other potentially unforseen issues.

I can also understand someone not wanting to cut the lip out of an otherwise solid 1/4 panel these days.
If I had one (which I do not) and were willing to do it, I would charge the same price for the small section as the entire panel.
The only savings would be on shipping costs, but that is just my opinion.

1962 95 F.C. Van
1965 Monza Coupe
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Posted by: gnvair ()
Date: January 06, 2019 07:47AM

Most people aren't going to cut it a good door for the bottom section. Heck the bottom is what is bad. Clarks should have the lower outer skins.

Lee J

Posted by: davemotohead ()
Date: January 06, 2019 08:46AM

I think Cody responded to your recent post on FB and he says he has the fender lips and door bottoms already cut off for you, if so go with him, you are right, just the fender lips is a tough one as most people will not ruin a entire fender for just the lips, BUT I do have a few new cars I will check, the only time I end up with complete fender openings is when the car has been crashed or the lower parts are ruined, My advice is contact Cody, if he does not set you up let me know? smoking smiley

Email me at: Dave Motohead

1960 4dr sedan caveman car
1961 Rampside (Chetside)
1962 Rampside (Barnside)
1962 Short Rampside (Shortside)
1962 Monza 700 Wagon
1963 Monza 900 coup (General Nader)

-----------------------------------
Rust Free Lancaster Ca

Date: January 06, 2019 09:01AM

If you don't know, Cody is a good guy to deal with also, like Dave M.

Now, put yourself in a sellers shoes, if you had a good door, why would you cut the bottom out and sell it for a lower price? Not like a rust free door is hard to sell. Logic please. Same logic with wheel well lips.

Inner wheel wells are easy to form out of flat metal. They are a separate stamping from the quarters and fenders. Technically there are no rear fenders on a Corvair, they are quarter panels. Which leads some to call the front "fenders" the front quarter panels!grinning smiley

And, there are three (3) different late model doors that fit 2 door Corvairs (convertible or hardtop body). 65/66, 67. and 68/69. They are not interchangeable without work. What particular year door do you need?

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Date: January 07, 2019 04:14AM

Thanks, Dave. The last I heard from Cody was that he only has the left side available. He can't find the right side, so I will still need that part. I'm waiting for Steve Morton to tell me if he has them.

Date: January 07, 2019 04:21AM

Thanks for your advice, Frank. My car needs work, but I was hooping to keep it as original as possible. I understand the logic of recyclers not wanting to cut up good panels. I was hoping that somebody would have panels which were already damaged, and they would be willing to cut off the parts I needed. I suppose that most of the damaged panels were sent to the crusher long ago.

The car is a 1965 convertible.

Date: January 07, 2019 04:26AM

Lee, thanks for your reply. I know Clark's sells the outer door skins, but the inner flange is mostly gone on both doors.

Date: January 07, 2019 07:53AM

Inner flange:

flat metal of proper gauge, 2 2x4s long enough, clamp in vise or several C clamps and bend 1/2" of edge over, there, have bottom of door.

I've made floor patches with 18 awg galvanized sheet (heat duct) and 2 x 4s clamped together. Then beat with ball peen hammer to shape.grinning smiley

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Date: January 08, 2019 01:05AM

Just so you know

I had numerous front and rear quarter panels for sale - Couldn't find a buyer so gave them to a metal scrap dealer.

They were steel reproductions.

Lon Wall

Fireman Oregon Coast Scenic Railroad #25 #2
OCSRR.com
Fireman Sumpter Valley Railroad #3 and #19
svry.com
www.pacificmodelloggerscongress.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.