Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Corsa 140 or Turbo
Posted by: Revlane ()
Date: January 04, 2019 02:15PM

I'd like to customize mine, at least slightly, definatly do disk brake conversion for starters.

cschneider53 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Don't buy a project if you have the money to buy
> something complete!!! I've spent 3 times what I
> could sell mine for and that was with getting
> hundreds of hours of free labor. Corvairs still
> don't fetch much money and there are enough of
> them out there where people did a labor of love
> and will lose their shirts when the car sells.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: January 04, 2019 03:26PM

No need for disc brakes IMO. Good advice from cschneider. Cheaper to buy a nice Corvair than to make a nice one.

Posted by: moomba32 ()
Date: January 04, 2019 03:48PM

I agree buying the best car you can afford is the way to go. I have a Monza with a 140 and an automatic, with only 2 gears it's not quick but I don't think it ever quits pulling, easily outlasts my willingness to leave the pedal down. I've had it about 15 years, did one rebuild on the carbs a couple years ago, it has always been dependable and runs excellent. I put disc brakes on the front and I love them, I don't have the skill or patience to make drum brakes work right. The brakes were the best improvement for my autocross times, knowing what's going to happen when I push the pedal allows me to go faster into a corner longer before slowing.
I also don't care much about resale value, more interested in what I like. a Corsa is nice but if I saw any car that had what I want I'd buy it and possible add the Corsa parts to it. I'm not the greatest mechanic so I think I'd opt for the 140, Turbos seem to be a bit more complicated to me, but then again if a deal presents itself I'd go for it.

Don Marlowe
66 Monza 2Dr 140/pg
64 Spyder convertible now, 110/pg
Eutawville SC

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: January 04, 2019 07:43PM

Location?

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
'66 Monza Coupe - 4spd, 140 Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - PG, 140 Daily driver beater
'67 A/C Moredoor Monza - 140 4-spd. driver

Posted by: Joe West ()
Date: January 05, 2019 04:42AM

I think both the 140 and the turbo offer different driving experiences. If I were you, I would see if there is a local CORSA club members who may let you drive examples of each (the examples should be in fine tune) so that you can decide which you like better. My personal preference is a turbo; I find that the acceleration on the freeway at speeds > 60mph is amazing. Getting on at an on-ramp can be fun as well. From a standing start until the top end of second gear is unexceptional in a turbo in my opinion, but as soon as you get into boost in second through fourth gear... it is quite fun. Not fun in a Porsche 911 turbo kind of way, but fun in a “remember that this is a 1960s Corvair” kind of way.

Joe

1964 Spyder Convertible, Laurinburg North Carolina
Restoration Website: [www.corvairspyder.com]

Date: January 05, 2019 05:35AM

Since you are planning on this being a custom, I'd say that learning about building a great Turbo engine would be a very rewarding experience.

They can be built to accelerate strongly right from first gear.

Some modifications to the original parts can make plenty of difference, and still retain the factory stock look. And they do look pretty impressive, IMHO!
Further upgrades with different carburetors, turbos, "plumbing" etc can have even more exciting results.

This is Cecil Williams most excellent Corsa Turbo.

Click on the photo and you will be transported to Page 27 of his "build thread" here on the Corvair Center Forum. Scroll down a tad and you'll see a couple of videos, one of which is this well built turbo being driven. Boost in First Gear!!

Details on the engine are in the thread along with all the amazing work Cecil did to fully update his Corsa Turbo Coupe.

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza 'Vert (SOLD) ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Posted by: Revlane ()
Date: January 05, 2019 06:09AM

Thanks, I'm leaning towards that approach as well. I really like the 65 and up corsa/monza body style.

Originally I wanted a project because I wanted to paint with a custom paint scheme but I'm realizing I can make other existing colors work for me.

Just want something I can drive in rallies and use for events.

moomba32 Wrote:
> I agree buying the best car you can afford is the
> way to go. I have a Monza with a 140 and an
> automatic, with only 2 gears it's not quick but I
> don't think it ever quits pulling, easily outlasts
> my willingness to leave the pedal down. I've had
> it about 15 years, did one rebuild on the carbs a
> couple years ago, it has always been dependable
> and runs excellent. I put disc brakes on the front
> and I love them, I don't have the skill or
> patience to make drum brakes work right. The
> brakes were the best improvement for my autocross
> times, knowing what's going to happen when I push
> the pedal allows me to go faster into a corner
> longer before slowing.
> I also don't care much about resale value, more
> interested in what I like. a Corsa is nice but if
> I saw any car that had what I want I'd buy it and
> possible add the Corsa parts to it. I'm not the
> greatest mechanic so I think I'd opt for the 140,
> Turbos seem to be a bit more complicated to me,
> but then again if a deal presents itself I'd go
> for it.

Posted by: RobertC ()
Date: January 05, 2019 08:20AM

65180 Wrote:
>
> Only downside in my opinion is keeping the 4 carbs
> in sync with the stock throttle linkage.

There is no black magic to keeping 4 carbs in sync.

The 2 primary carbs are synchronized the same as the 2 carbs on a 95 / 110 engine - except the secondary linkage is unhooked. Then, the secondary linkage is installed based on the instructions for which vintage 140 secondary linkage you have.

The carbs will stay synchronized for years unless you have POS carbs or worn linkage. Or, you individually change the idle speed / idle mixture screws.

IMO, Corvair air cooled engines are slightly affected by atmospheric conditions - temperature, humidity, altitude.

If you are (overly) sensitive to these changes, you can change a minor maintenance issue into a full time job.

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: January 06, 2019 08:49AM

So far all great comments.

That said - My recommendation is the 110HP two carburetor engine. It's really a great engine and not "finicky" like a 140 or 180. Makes for a great driver and you'll only miss some HP at higher RPM.

That said both my cars are 140HP - LOL. They sure look great at a show with the engine lid up! A turbo is also a great show piece. I don't mind the extra maintenance since my Corvairs are just for casual use.

Also that Corsa instrument cluster sure is nice to look at, There are many Monza's out there with the Corsa dash installed.

Yes building up a basket case will cost more than a completed car, BUT if you are skilled you'll end up with a car that you know is in good shape and the way you want it.

So it comes down to what you want. Unless Corvairs get into Camaro valuations originality won't be that critical.

Posted by: Noel Felty ()
Date: January 07, 2019 08:02PM

In defense of the 140. I drive one regularly. I have owned a 80hp, a 95hp and 2 110’s. I currently drive a 140 that I built 2 years ago. I do not find the 140 to be finicky, hard to tune or unrealiable. I know the question is 140 vs 180 but I had shed a little light on 140 ownership. They are great engines and I beat mine hard. It sees all kinds of duty like driving in summertime Atlanta traffic with temps in the high 90’s to mountain climbing back roads, to high speed interstate travel, to work and occasional autocross. Rugged beast it is. So, just chiming in cause the 140 seems to take some undeserved hits. I have seen some 110’s with dropped seats in our club and have a 95hp on the floor with a dropped seat. So doesn’t matter. If you are goons drive around on 50 year old heads with late cast pistons you are gonna have a failure no matter what engine.

Noel Felty
Brevard, NC
1966 Corsa 140 Before

1966 Corsa After

1972 Ford f100

Corsa SC
NC Mountain Corvairs

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.