Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Maxxis MA-1 W/W discoloration
Posted by: Vin ()
Date: January 02, 2019 12:52PM

Bob, after hearing a detail expert in a video mention using Acetone to clean white walls I tried it on my Maxxis white wall tires. It worked very well. I did it somewhat reluctantly being concerned about how the acetone might damage the tire materiel. So I started in a small spot. I did not notice any damage. I am not sure I would use it all the time but maybe once in a while.

Vin
Dayton, OH
1965 Corvair Monza Convertible (4 speed)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: January 02, 2019 04:57PM

I was having trouble with the white on my motorhome discoloring. Nothing seemed to touch it, it was like the Gel coat was getting stained. Then someone told me to try outdoor Clorox [www.homedepot.com]. I already had the stuff to clean my lawn furniture and vinyl railings. Tried on the RV and in about a minute it was white again. So I tried it on my not Maxxis white walls and it works great. The only reason I think this stuff works is that the stain and discoloration is caused by so type of mold or fungus growing in the porosities. This stuff kills it and bleaches it out for good. The stuff is cheap and readily available. Even if it doesn't work on your WWs it good for all kinds of other stuff like concrete porches and sidewalks.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Posted by: CZenner ()
Date: January 04, 2019 03:18AM

Just tell anyone that mentions it that they are the performance gold line tires like you see on a 1960's performance car.

Chris Zenner
Elma, Iowa
1968 Monza Coupe
Member of CORSA
Member of ICE (Iowa Corvair Enthusiasts)
Member SAE, ASME, ASM

Attachments:
Posted by: Freeman ()
Date: January 05, 2019 11:13PM

I was having the same problem and decided to give this stuff a try, Mision Restore Whitewall Wax. The application process is a bit lengthy but I have to say that it has been a year now and my WW tires are still looking pretty good. They are not as bright now but look way better than they did within a few weeks of cleaning in the past.

You can find it here. Whitewall Wax

Freeman
Rowlett, TX
62 Monza "AirVair"

Posted by: rnch ()
Date: January 08, 2019 07:34AM

I have one tire that the whitewall that is not quite as clean or bright as the other 3.

Repeated scrubbings with Bleache White and/or a SOS pad didn't get it to the same whiteness of the other three.

I tried the Clorox Outdoor product, applied with a fingernail brush, let it sit for about 5 minutes, rinsed it off.

The Clorox method did much better than any other attempts.

I'd guestimate that one troublesome tire is now 98% as bright as the other 3.

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: January 08, 2019 10:36AM

I should add that the outdoor Clorox works much better if you hit something that is totally dry. So its better and easier to wash it once, let it dry thoroughly then hit it again.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Posted by: isucorvair ()
Date: January 08, 2019 12:04PM

The whitewall is actually a layer of white rubber bonded into the tire (its deeper, and wider than you think)

You can use scotchbrite, steel wool, sandpaper, softscrub....all will make it white again.

Eric P.
DeWitt, iA

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.